What happened to da wiki? Mod input???

Started by sparrow, November 01, 2008, 07:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

I'd be happy to set one up, if mods tell me what to do re: hosting? I'm sure once it's up and structured, it'd get populated in no time?!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Chameleon

YAY  ;D im sure we will have no problem poulating it at all lol

dangerousbead

garishglobes

Quotewots da wiki
Thank goodness you asked!  ;D ;D I'm meant to be a geek but I've never really understood wikis ::) ::)

sparrow

A wiki is an online collaborative webpage (think wikipedia) - you have different sections, but unlike a forum, where things move down the page, a wiki can be re-edited all the time, adding stuff to it, by anybody. It was mooted at some point to set up a wiki with all the tutorials, hints, tips, etc. - to avoid the same questions being asked and to build up a bank of expertise.

Dat's da wiki  ;D (and it's 'da' wiki because 'da' is all I hear at home at the moment  ;D)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

kevie192

I've just done a search and turned this up: http://www.wikidot.com/

Might be a good option? I definitely think it would be a great idea!

Kevin x

TheJanie

I've been setting up wiki software on our server for the past week - I hadn't heard anything about one on Frit-Happens before now so thought I was being original!

I was about to start a thread taking suggestions for a name but now I've see this.... Don't want to step on anyone's toes or anything!

So unless anyone's got any further with this, do we want to go ahead with the software I've already installed?

sparrow

I've shouted for the mods to make an executive decision :) I think it was Les, though, and she's a bit out of circulation at the mo?
Sabine x

*rowanberry*

I suggested one a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago but my suggestion went off into the ether I think  ;)
Claire

Bumpy Beads

Eeek, did this fall off the radar? I'll raise it again in the back office and see what we can get sorted.
Heather

My Etsy Shop

sparrow

Sabine x

TheJanie

Just to add - I don't know how much of a plus point it is, but as the software I've installed is hosted on our server (eddie - who has his very own room upstairs!) it wouldn't cost anything and there'd be more-or-less 24 hour support.  Thanks to my insomnia I'm often awake when Gavin is asleep!  ::)

Dickie

We could host a Wiki on the FH server... that shouldn't be a problem...

Janie... given the high bandwidth and usage FH gets I'm not sure that hosting from home would work out for you... Not unless you are happy not being able to surf the internet for large parts of the due, due to all the Hits it would generate.
Plus if we wanted it under the frit-happens.co.uk name, then it would need to be hosted on our servers anyway.
Dickie-Oh yes! Follow me on Twitter @DickieDooda

Kaz

So, we can have a Wiki, Dickie; how quickie can we have a Wiki Dickie. I wouldn't dream of taking the Mickey about how quickie we could have a Wiki Dickie!  ;D
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

TheJanie

Quote from: Dickie on November 07, 2008, 02:05:00 PM
Janie... given the high bandwidth and usage FH gets I'm not sure that hosting from home would work out for you... Not unless you are happy not being able to surf the internet for large parts of the due, due to all the Hits it would generate.

Fair enough :)  I'll uninstall this stuff then.... let me know if I can help with the wiki in any way :)