What happened to da wiki? Mod input???

Started by sparrow, November 01, 2008, 07:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dickie

Dickie-Oh yes! Follow me on Twitter @DickieDooda

Dickie

Sneak update...

We are almost there.... we just need to put the finishing touches to it, but it won't be long... :)

sparrow

Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Dickie

Yeah... just a bit... I realised that while doing the wiki...(yes there is one now) that the forum needed updating as well...

OK... who's wants to start editing the Wiki?

How do you guys think it should work... should everyone be able to edit, or maybe only member with a particular post count to prove they are "real".
Or maybe only specific members who are given that task can edit the wiki...

Let me know...

sparrow

Maybe a post count would be a good idea? Same as Jo's RAOGK list? Otherwise, if it's open to everybody, you'll get spam really quickly.......and maybe those new to FHF are also more likely to be new to lampworking (not all, bust most?), and thus more likely to read rather than add?
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

TheJanie

I always understood that the point of a wiki was that it was freely collaborative, i.e. anyone can update the content.

Otherwise, it's just another informational website  and information gets held up whilst it's "approved", defeating the point of having installed specifically wiki software.

Each page maintains a history so if anyone is abusing it, it's quickly identified.  Of course, registration is a must, but it should be open for all contribution....

sparrow

I see your point Janie.  :) Guess it depends on registration procedures and amount of moderating available (a number of blogs I run get up to 20 spam registrations a day, and my guess this one would get more?)
Sabine x

TheJanie

Quote from: sparrow on November 08, 2008, 06:43:09 PM
I see your point Janie.  :) Guess it depends on registration procedures and amount of moderating available (a number of blogs I run get up to 20 spam registrations a day, and my guess this one would get more?)

Moderation is also a must - it's only the free participation and distribution of collected knowledge that I think needs to stay in place to maintain the point of having a wiki...

And I'm guessing that if it's open to editing, there are enough of us here to be ready, willing and able to correct any errors ;)

Dickie

For your info the registration is tied into the forum.. so if you are a member of the forum you are on the Wiki, but we are in control of whether you get to edit or not... we could allow anyone who is a member to be able to edit, or only allow people with say 25 posts be able to edit. This would then rule out those that register on the forum JUST to be able to trash the Wiki... personally I don't think anyone would go to the effort of that, just to vandalise a Wiki (that can be reverted anyway...)

saffie

Quote from: Dickie on November 08, 2008, 06:57:43 PM
This would then rule out those that register on the forum JUST to be able to trash the Wiki... personally I don't think anyone would go to the effort of that, just to vandalise a Wiki (that can be reverted anyway...)
sorry to be cynical biut why put orselves in that position or you anyway cos if someonedid vandalise it then someone has to sort it out!!! I think everyone but only after a certain amount of posts. not going to prescribe how many posts tho!!!

TheJanie

Quote from: Dickie on November 08, 2008, 06:57:43 PM
we could allow anyone who is a member to be able to edit, or only allow people with say 25 posts be able to edit. This would then rule out those that register on the forum JUST to be able to trash the Wiki... personally I don't think anyone would go to the effort of that, just to vandalise a Wiki (that can be reverted anyway...)

(IMHO only).... okeydoke, how about making it as open as possible to begin with and see how it goes?

Then if anyone tries to mess with it we can lock it down, trace their IP and hunt them down with our pointy mandrels  ;D

There has to be an element of trust otherwise there's no point in having a wiki at all.  People might be put off contributing if they have to meet a set of specified criteria and you never know, they might have some really interesting info to post!

Like I said, all IMHO :)

Dickie

Personally I think that everyone with a post count over about 25 should be able to edit... it's like a right of passage... If we open it up to everyone then we will get the "I'm going to register just to cause havoc" people.
25 is not many posts, and anyone who is not legit would probably be caught spamming/trolling before then anyway.

It just gives it some kind of regulation without excluding very many people at all...

But you are right, we also need several people to volunteer to be moderators, as we need people keeping an eye on things.

♥♥Tan♥♥

saffie

are you asking for volunteers! Not sure if i have the skills but if i can help i would like to! What does a mod need to know???
Sam

TheJanie

Quote from: tanok on November 08, 2008, 07:40:54 PM
I like havoc ;D

Me too - it can make things even more interesting ;)

Dickie, I can see your point.  To draw a comparison, though, I feel that if we'd told people that they had to post 25 times in the newbie section on FHF before joining in generally, we wouldn't have as dynamic, active and lively forum as we do....

If you'll have me, I'd be happy to help with moderation?  As I've already mentioned, I'm a terrible insomniac so often have time on my hands overnight (and a laptop by the bed!)