Batch annealing schedule - moretti glass beads in an SC2.

Started by BeadyBugs, January 21, 2007, 01:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trudi

Not sure which programmer it is from memory - I think it was just my fault for panking!! But I got there in the end and the temp didn't change more than a degree or 2. I've just been out to check and it has finished the run so just need to leave them to cool to room temp.

Even though I got in a bit of a panic - I really don't feel so wary of it now (she says till the next time!!

I'll give the posts a fire - I take it I should vent it when I do that!! I did look in Focus to see if I could see any of the wire mesh to make my own holder but they didn't have any!! Never mind!

Thanks again Mary for your input - really appreciated by Shirley & I!!  ;D

Shirley

Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Shirley

Well, I've test run my kiln, have made a wire cradle and have my bead kebabs ready to go. Just remembered I hadn't written down the firing schedule so have now got that and am about to fire up! Wish me luck  :D

Mary

chris

hello,

I'm new to the forum just starting out in beads,can i ask Mary to go over the schedule for beads you put into the bead door as you go,i have no kiln at the moment the one you mentioned SC2 seems OK so i will most prob get this,by the way were can i purchase this kiln,its the 100 deg at stage 2 what does this do and also 100 at stage 3,would this kiln be suitable for boro annealing,no sure of the max temp,thanks for any help ck

Mary

Chris, the 100 ramp is degrees per hour of temperature change. I do some large beads and vessels, so I take it slow, if you are doing smaller round beads you could go much faster. If they are about 10-15mm you could get away with as much as 200.

THe SC2 will go plenty hot enough for boro. If you are seeing the scarily big temps quoted on American forums, remember they are using Fahrenheit not C. I got mine at paragonkilns.co.uk they have details of all the max temps for their kilns. Tuffnellglass.com sells them, and Petra at silverclay too.

Trudi

Hi Mary

If I'm just making the smaller beads - can I change my settings  - if so which ones please

Batch

PRO1
Ramp1 149C
Temp1 520C
Hold1 60mins
Ramp2 78C
Temp2 371C
Hold2 0000mins
Ramp3 0000

AS you go
ramp 1 full (you might prefer a slower rate to avoid overshooting, maybe 500)   - what is full?
temp 1 500
hold 6 hours (or anything longer than you will work)

ramp 2 100
temp 510
hold 30 mins

ramp 3 100
temp 3 370
hold 000

Thanks

Trudi

Shirley

lol Trudi, you're just impatient to see what comes out of the kiln!  :D (Aren't we all  ;D)

Mary

Trudi Full is 999, or as high as it will go. Just click down once. I got that out my manual, have you tried re-reading your manual against these settings? It might make it clearer.

Jim Kervin quotes 2.37 degrees per minute for cooling 14mm beads, that's 142 degrees per hour, 200 for 10mm beads, but it goes down to 100 for 16mm beads. The kiln manual quotes 220 but I think that's awful fast. 100 is a fairly safe setting for average beads. If you do want to speed yours up, it's the ramp 2 on batch, ramp 3 on garage anneal.

Trudi

Of course I'm impatient Shirley!!!

Mary - I'll take the instructions out again - they scared me last time!! But my beads tend to be 14mm or less so I should be able to change the settings slightly!!

Thanks!

Trudi

Mary

The manual should make more sense now you've tried it, less like gobbledeygook!

Trudi

Ha ha - you sure about that!! But I'll give it a go tomorrow when I'm less tired!! It scared the living daylights out of me last tiem I looked at it!

mariag

I just wanted to say thank goodness for this thread. I have had my SC2 sitting in my shed since June & have been terrified at the thought of switching it on. I followed Helen's instructions & it worked perfectly....although only a test run to clear the fumes I now feel confident to batch anneal :)

Thanks Helen & all of the helpful peeps on FHF.....this forum rocks!!!!

BeadyBugs

It's a pleasure Maria, and thanks to everyone who helped from me too. ;D

Happy annealing - hope it goes ok - and you know where we all are if you need owt. ;D

HP x

Helen P

TheJanie

Quote from: mariag on September 11, 2007, 03:38:41 PM
Thanks Helen & all of the helpful peeps on FHF.....this forum rocks!!!!

I'd like to second this :)  I did my first batch anneal on Friday - and it was a success :)

Don't know where I'd have been if it wasn't for all the help from this thread and others - many, many thanks and hugs to all of ya   :-*

Cheers,

Janie