Batch annealing schedule - moretti glass beads in an SC2.

Started by BeadyBugs, January 21, 2007, 01:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirley

I am soooo pleased Trudi asked all of this before I bought my kiln - I'm off to ring Cherry Heaven now!  :D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Trudi

Trudi

Just another quick question about programming the kiln

is this set if you're making beads for 1 hour - so say if I'm gonna be making for 2 hours to I chnge Hold 1 to 120mins.

Also - if i progrmme it for 2 hours and finish in an hour & half can I get it to go to the next stage (or is it best to leave it?)

PRO1 (or another free slot)
Ramp1 149C –
Temp1 520C –
Hold1 60mins –

Ramp2 78C -
Temp2 371C –
Hold2 0000mins
Ramp3 0000 –

Cheers

Mary

Trudi,
That's a batch anneal, with a slow warm-up. For annealing as you go, I do

ramp 1 full (you might prefer a slower rate to avoid overshooting, maybe 500)
temp 1 500
hold 6 hours (or anything longer than you will work)

ramp 2 100
temp 510 (I anneal cooler than 520, use 520 if you prefer)
hold 30 mins

ramp 3 100
temp 3 370
hold 000

So it hots up quickly, and holds a long time before another half hour hold, and the slow cool. That way I can work as long as I like. When I finish I press "higher" twice, and it skips on to the next step, the half hour hold. That way the beads I have just finished get a hold too, rather than skipping straight to the cool phase.

Shirley

But you're asking them so well, Trudi!  :D And you've got a pic out of Vicki now too!  ;D

Trudi

Ha Shirley - no excuse there!

Mary that's great - so if I finish before the 6 hours (or whatever I programme) I just press higher twice and it skips to the next step!

Great!

Cheers!

Vicki

I think you guys just wanted to see what was in my kiln ;D

Trudi

Trudi

Hi
Well I did my empty firing last night and nothing went bang - so taking that as a good sign. I have my programme all worked out - will probably have a go at annealing as I go first - wish me luck.

But a question for batch  - if I didn't want to cut down my mandrels - can you use any wire - I have some silver coloured copper wire would that do or would it melt?

Thanks Tx

Shirley

Trudi

Shirley

lol only got it on Thursday, and was at work yesterday, so it's still packaged up. Got to rearrange things in the garage to make proper space for it. At least it's the end of term so I've got a couple of weeks to play.  :D

Trudi

Quote from: Mary on March 29, 2007, 01:22:55 PM
Trudi,
That's a batch anneal, with a slow warm-up. For annealing as you go, I do

ramp 1 full (you might prefer a slower rate to avoid overshooting, maybe 500)
temp 1 500
hold 6 hours (or anything longer than you will work)

ramp 2 100
temp 510 (I anneal cooler than 520, use 520 if you prefer)
hold 30 mins

ramp 3 100
temp 3 370
hold 000

So it hots up quickly, and holds a long time before another half hour hold, and the slow cool. That way I can work as long as I like. When I finish I press "higher" twice, and it skips on to the next step, the half hour hold. That way the beads I have just finished get a hold too, rather than skipping straight to the cool phase.

Well I managed to get the annealing as you go programmed into PrO1 just fine - but when I wanted to skip to RAMP2 got a bit confused as your instructions said press up arrow twice - but the instruction manual said up arrow (SStP appears) - press start  current segment appears - press start again

But I manged to to do a mixture of both and it started to go though the programme stage again  ;D  ;D christ I was ging mad - but I somehow managed to sort it and get it onto the second ramp  - phew - I was getting quite annoyed as I wasn't really happy with the beads - but I guess you live * learn!!

I've tried to make some posts for the batch annealing method - I got from fibre blocks from cherry heaven and hav cut them down to size with a couple of grooves to hold madrles - they look a bit rough - will they be ok rock & roll or do I need to empty fire these too before using?

Cheers
T

Mary

Trudi, do you have an Orton Sentry Express 3.0? Did you get a separate sheet with bead annealing instructions? My instructions told me to press "up" arrow twice. Pressing "start" switches it off! You can get back to where you were by cycling round to "On" again, as you found.

Your blocks might stink first firing, might be safer not to risk contaminating beads. You could run one of the pre-programmed quick fire sections, then switch off, it doesn't need the slow cool.