Batch annealing schedule - moretti glass beads in an SC2.

Started by BeadyBugs, January 21, 2007, 01:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeadyBugs

Hi guys,

This is the the schedule I use for batch annealing my beads in my SC2 kiln.? I cool my beads in vermiculite straight from the flame, then take them off the mandrels when cold (leaving the bead release on), and make bead kebabs on old mandrels cut down to fit in my kiln.? Make sure the beads aren't touching, just in case the glass gets tacky and sticks together whilst annealing.? I place a piece of fibre board on the floor of my kiln to protect it from any mishaps, then I either support the kebabs on kiln shelf posts or use a steel wire mesh cradle to hold the mandrels.? I got the steel mesh from B+Q, and cut and bent it to fit inside my kiln.? There are many other ways of doing this, these are just the ways I've tried.

Anyway, here's the schedule:

PRO1 (or another free slot)
Ramp1 149C
Temp1 520C
Hold1 60mins
Ramp2 50C
Temp2 371C
Hold2 0000mins
Ramp3 0000

It's basically the schedule Lorna (Pixiewillow - thanks again Lorna :)) posted on GH a while ago, with a longer hold at 520C that will anneal beads up to about an inch in size.? If you are wanting to batch anneal larger beads, you will want to add more time to this hold segment to allow the glass stresses to be fully evened out before cooling.

Here are the kebab images - 1. kiln shelf post set up:

2. Wire mesh cradle set up:

If anyone has any other suggestions or schedules, please feel free to add them.

Cheers! ;D? HP x
Helen P

Shannon

Hi,

This is a great looking tutorial, and nice clear photos. 

I have a general question which has always made me wonder.  I always make big ole beads, so batch annealing is not really an option for me, but why do folks with table top kilns choose to batch anneal their beads instead of going straight from the torch to the hot kiln?

BeadyBugs

Hi Shannon,

Thanks :) - I thought I should post one, as I realized we didn't have one when Cathryn (Funky cow) mentioned it.

I batch anneal, cos I don't have a bead door, as I wanted to do fusing in my kiln too.  Also, where I bead, there isn't really the room or facilities for a kiln anyway, so it seemed like the best option.

HP x
Helen P

Moo-Mah

Just a quick question, i have had my kiln (SC2) for months but have not had the guts to use it, i find the instructions confusing and get put off but will definately give it a go now i have seen your helpful tips.I also want to batch anneal as i dont have a bead door and don't get very long to make beads so don't want to turn it on for a few beads at a time, But what do you do if you make a large bead as sometimes my larger beads crack after coming out of the flame & going in the Vermiculite? any ideas

cheers
Em ;D

BeadyBugs

Hi Em,

Awww go on - turn it on - it's not as scary as it sounds, honest. ;D? It took me a while to pluck up the courage to turn mine on, but once you've done it, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.? I was lucky because a few of us on here got kilns at the same time, and after much girly panicking we finally did it. ;D

I couldn't get my head around the instructions either, and I'm usually good with technical stuff, some info appeared to be woefully out of date, and didn't even seem to relate to my kiln. ???? If it's of any help, I've got a fusing tutorial on my site, which I've nicked this text from and inserted the bead annealing schedule in to.? It walks you through turning the kiln on, and which buttons to press.? And tells you how to programme your kiln for batch annealing moretti beads up to an inch in size - here you go:

Things to remember:

1. Positioning of your kiln. Place it on a level, stable, fire proof surface at least 12 inches away from any other objects, as the outside of the kiln can get hot.

2. Check the inside of the kiln is clean and dust free.

3.? You should really do an empty test firing of a new kiln before using it, to burn off any impurities in the kiln walls.? I just ran one of the preprogrammed SPEED firings - but I'm not sure this is as vital if you are just annealing???? So you can probably skip this.? Anyway - on to button pressing. ;)

Programming your kiln:

1. Stick the plaster cone bung in the hole in the top of the SC2 if you have one.

2. Then put the fibreboard and bead kebabs into your kiln as mentioned above.

3. Shut the door carefully and you are ready to go!

4. Flip the power switch to ON. (It?ll beep very loudly then flash ?idle?.) (If it's not showing 'idle' on the display press START/STOP once and it should do.)

5. Press START/STOP and then press UP til you get to Pr01 (or pick another ?Pr? if this is already programmed and in use.)

6. Then press START again and enter the following numbers by using the UP and DOWN arrow keys (Press START/STOP after each entry to move onto the next):

Ramp1 149C
Temp1 520C
Hold1 60mins
Ramp2 50C
Temp2 371C
Hold2 0000mins
Ramp3 0000

7. Press START again and ?Strt? will show on the screen, then press START once more to actually begin the schedule. There will then be a lot of loud clicking until the programme has finished, but this is absolutely normal.? My what a lot of starts! ;D

If you panic at this point and want to turn the kiln off (which is what I did ;D), you can press the START button again, and it will stop the kiln.? Or alternatively you can just flip the power switch off, and go and have medicinal glass of wine and a lie down.? :-\? The programme will be now be stored in the slot or 'Pr' where you just put it, so when you come to run it again, all you do is press the START button several times to scroll through it, til the 'Strt' message appears on the screen.? This also means you can scroll through and check you've entered the correct numbers, and change any if needs be.

If you are at all worried about running the kiln, do it during the day, or at a time you can keep an eye on it.? I have a smoke alarm positioned over mine, for extra peace of mind, as I tend to run mine over night, and it's in the room next to where I sleep.? So if anything goes wrong hopefully I'd know about it. :o

And finally after all that waffle from me - about your cracking big beads.? It is much less likely to happen if you put your beads straight into the kiln through a bead door, than it is if you use vermiculite. Big beads and sculpturals are much more unpredictable and stressy, so are more prone to cracking. :(? I have to admit to thinking about buying a separate bead door for my kiln (which is possible), when I get a better studio set up.? Other than trying to even out the heat in the bead before it gets dunked in the vermiculite, I don't know what else to suggest?

Ooops - sorry for the HUGE essay and my not-so-quick answer to your quick question - I hope it's been some help and not confused you more. ;D

Good luck Em, and get it switched on!!!!!? If you get stuck - you know where we are. :)

HP x
Helen P

Les

Cor !!

HP

You really are the kiln guru, aren't you !!!

Thanks on behalf of all newbie kiln operators.. :)

BeadyBugs

Hehehe!  I know - it's laughable isn't it really. ;D   8 months ago, me and Helene were a pair of jibbering wrecks too scared to turn ours on!!!  LOL!  I don't know much really, but if it encourages a few more beaders into the throng I'm willing to share. ;D

HP x
Helen P

Moo-Mah

Thank you sooo much for your valuable advice, it is very much appreciated! I will definately have a go. I wish i had bought one with a bead door but Martin wasn't selling them when i bought mine off him,  i wonder if i was to ask nicely if i could change mine for one with a door as i haven't used it yet? maybe a bit cheeky though!
Anyhow thanks again i dont feel so stupid now.

Em ;)

devoncows

thanks too I'll be getting my kiln this week! i have a lot of beads waiting for it too! trying not to make any more till their done!

BeadyBugs

Good luck Alice - you can fit heck of a lot in if you use the wire mesh version. :D  I hope Em had a go too? ;D

HP x
Helen P

bubblefizz

Helen....you put the beads in the kiln cold???  :-\

does this mean all the beads i made from my early days  ;) can go in the kiln?
a bit confused here lol

BeadyBugs

Yes I do.  I cool them in the vermiculite, then pull them off the mandrels and make the kebabs.  Doesn't matter when you made them, they can still be annealed using the batch anneal schedule.  It means you can do all the ones you've made whilst you've been learning. ;)

HP x
Helen P

bubblefizz

WOW  :o i never knew that Helen!!!!
thats exellent i thought i had to throw them all away!

*Nicky*

Hey guys, sorry to pull up an old thread again !

I want to batch anneal a load of beads i have, they are still on their mandrels as they were made, would i be able to do this schedule buy putting all the beads in as they are through the bead door rather than making kebabs as i dont have kiln posts ?

Caroline

Nicky, do you have anything to put on the bottom of your kiln?

i use a tile left over from doing my kitchen, pop the beads on that and away i go, you are suppost to get a kiln shelf with your kiln (i didn't, boo hiss) if you did you can use that