Batch annealing schedule - moretti glass beads in an SC2.

Started by BeadyBugs, January 21, 2007, 01:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlassOcean

I did my first batch anneal a couple of days ago, I am now on my 4th!

I would not have found it so easy or been as confident if it had not been for you lovelies on here. 

Thank you so much you are a truly great lot.

;D ;D ;D

Katiequiggle

Sorry for being really thick but what do you do if you don't have a kiln and are not likely to be able to afford one in the very near future.

Shirley

You ask if someone will anneal your beads for you  ;)  :D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Katiequiggle

So you don't have to anneal them as soon as you've made them then, how long can you leave them for until they're done, as I do have a friend with a kiln.

Mary

Basically, any time as long as they're not cracked! I have some of my first un-annealed beads 2 years later. But they might develop cracks even weeks after you made them. There is a thread on here with offers to anneal by post, maybe take a look there?

emvee

I have an efco 110 kiln which has no controller how long do I leave beads in to anneal properly?

Hamilton Taylor

You need a controller, as annealing is a temperature-controlled process. It is important to hold the temperature in the right range for the glass you are using, and equally important to control the cooling rate appropriately, and for that you need a programmable controller. If your kiln does not have one, you can convert it by plugging it into a separate controller such as the KilnCare KCR1.

For Moretti ( and most 104 glass), an accepted annealing range is 516 - 520C. Hold at this temp for about 30mins (this will anneal anything up to quite large beads), and then cool slowly (50C/hour) to around 450C (just below the strain point), after which the kiln can cool at its natural rate as long as you don't peek, and artificially speed up cooling, which could still cause beads to crack.

I've posted this in a bit of a hurry, but if you want more details on annealing and schedules, pm me or drop me an email from the website.

Sean

arachnia

Sorry I am going to resurrect this thread as my kiln arrived today and I am scared to switch it on. I have loads of beads to anneal but the numbers are confusing. Any chance of simpler terms for a dunce like me please.  :-\

I have the paragon Sc2 with bead door.
Vickie
]

arachnia

thanks I have read it and still confused  :-\. I will have to go and experiment with what was on the first page thank you.
Vickie
]

Trudi

Enjoy - there is also a lot of info like this on the Wiki (link on the main page) as it's information that tends to get buried on teh forum, so it's easier to find it there!

lyzzydee

Hello, This is my first post!!
I have been a member for a while and i have made several lots of beads. I have been bought a mini kiln for my birthday which says its suitable for all sorts of enamel, PMC and glass work. It heats to 900c but has a maximum heating time at that temp of 90 minutes, you then have to switch it off and allow it to cool.

So my question is , is it suitable for annealing beads which is what I would like to be able to do with it.

It does have a temp controller knob. But I am not sure if 90 minutes is too fast too slow or what having read the instructions on here. The blurb says it takes 40 minutes to get to 850c .

Sorry confused of Welwyn Garden City!!!!

PS I have read all of the forum about annealing I am still not sure.

Kalorlo

Does it have a maximum heating time at 500-520C? That's the temperature you need for annealing. You also need very fine control over the cool down rate - you can't just switch it off. Does it have a digital controller with stages, or do you have to set every temperature yourself? You *can* anneal in a kiln that needs babysitting, but that means you have to sit next to it for hours on end adjusting it.

You'd probably get better advice if you told us what model it is.

Trudi

You definately need to control the temperature down to 371°C

lyzzydee

Thank you for the reply, I am not sure if it will work, the shame is that it was bought for me by very well meaning friends and I may well have been better saving their money for a better kiln. (I don't want to sound ungrateful!!)

There is one like it on ebay

http://www.technicalsupermarket.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1634&category_id=386&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4&vmcchk=1&Itemid=4