gallery archive 14

Started by highgardenbeads, December 31, 2013, 09:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Davies

Very nice work Linda and Pat.

This is something I've been playing with, its silver and copper filings on dark ivory  . . .

DSCF8233 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Unfortunately it's an effect that looks realy nice in close up but it too fine to show up at a distance.
   DSCF8219 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

I've also been playing with thick silver foil that I've created by hammering out some 1mm diameter wire to make it about 5mm wide. I cut the foil into something like 2mm squares and you can see that they have pretty much stayed in shape rather than balling up the way thin foil does.

The silver is on dark ivory and the blue is a dab of transparent blue
   DSCF8229 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

On this one (below) I melted the foil completely.
   DSCF8236 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

And this last one I applied just a few specs of copper/silver filings that I got by filing a sliver plated copper contact out of some electrical equipment.

DSCF8224 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

All of the above beads are covered in crystal clear glass.
I'm sure it's all been done before but it's a bit of fun.

Kind Regards  . . . Andy

Andy Davies

marklaird

Lovely work everyone. Pat I love your spider

I've not had a lot of time to play with lampwork this week but did get a chance to try the Dragonfly again

Dragonfly from top by Marklaird, on Flickr

Dragonfly from side by Marklaird, on Flickr

Mark

marklaird

Ooh I get to start the gallery this week.

I've been finishing off some fusing and slumping.

Fused and slumped dish by Marklaird, on Flickr

My daughter can't decide if she likes it or hates it.

Carefulkate

IMG_0349 by carefulkate, on Flickr

my first attempt to make cabs from broken beads and I am so pleased thanks to all who posted on my question about kiln figures used the way Pat from Canvey said and worked a treat xx

Pat from Canvey

Good job. Next step, adding a bail to make them into pendants.

TheJanie

It's been a while since I've had anything to share but I made these last week:

Tie-Dye cabochons by TheJanie (Jane Hamill)

The largest one is 3cm in diameter - the other two are popper-sized.

It's been so long since I made my Rainbow Tie-Dye pieces, I messed up some of the prep work and managed to forget to add orange and yellow, so these are just Tie-Dye, not Rainbow Tie-Dye  ::)

Irene

Finally cracked the petal bead riddle. I look forward to make more of these.

Also made some beads using one of my favorite colours the kryptonite.

Pat from Canvey

I made a bug, 4 wings, 6 legs. It's about 7cm long.

Andy Davies

(Can I start a new thread on a Tuesday?)

Hi Folks these are my efforts since taking possession of my new Alpha touch and oxy-con 4 days ago, boy I can hear the radio again!
As you can probably see from the number of beads I've been making not much else has been done.. must get around to cutting the grass before Christmas. . .

DSCF8447 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Above. The turquoise glass is some Plowden & Thompsonthat COE 100 that I have had for years that I couldn't work with with the Hot-Head torch but now it's easy. The other beads are just practise beads.

DSCF8448 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Above. These are some more of my 'sand beads' with sand from a local beach, New Quay, Wales. I fancy moving to New Quay but we can't find the right house. The other six beads at the top of the picture are experiments with silver filings, for a bit of fun.   

DSCF8449 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Above. An old friend of ours recently had to have her dog put down, she was devastated but she was over the moon when I said I'd put some of his ashes in a bead for her. She doesn't wear jewellery so I said she could have it as a key ring. ½ a teaspoon of ashes goes a very long way. I've yet to give her the beads but I know it will mean a great deal to her. I've told her they should last at least 3,000 years.

DSCF8450 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Above. And finally, theses have taken me two days to make so far. They are a mixture of different metals on ivory. I've put a bit of a description about my experiments with silver and copper filings yesterday in the 'show and tell' section. Theses about 22 inches of necklace here so I need to spend another day or so to complete the set.
Anyway I know this isn't up to the high standards I normally see in this spot but it's the best I can do, hopefully I'll get better.

Thanks for looking in.

Kind Regards  . . . Andy   

Andy Davies

Andy Davies

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on November 11, 2014, 02:48:32 PM
I never knew you could put sand in beads, heaven knows I bring enough home attached to sea glass!  I'm sort of spooked by memorial beads, not sure why but those look wonderful and am sure she will treasure them.  All beautiful beads (and your encasing is far better than mine).

With the sand beads, just remember to burn off the sand before you put a top coat on it as it'll blow bubbles.

And the other thing is only use a tiny amount; I bet there's not more than a few hundred grains in a 15 mm bead.

DSCF8456 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Above. You could count the grains of sand, there are so few.

DSCF8459 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Above. The core is round; it's just a trick of the light that makes it look eccentric.

DSCF8455 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

I try to keep a record of what I do as I have a lousy memory, I list where the sand is from and on the other side of the label I have the glass colours. One day when I know what I'm doing I might actually make something half decent. 

Have fun.

Regards  . . . Andy

Andy Davies

helbels

Wow what a great array of beads Andy - as others have said, they are very well shaped and encased.

For me, I think it's fair to say that my floral beads have improved since my class with Corina Tettinger at the weekend!  I decided not to encase the flowers as I rather like them like this, just on the surface.   Not bad for a first practice :D

IMG_0012 by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr

Carefulkate

Untitled by carefulkate, on Flickr
I made a frog he only had one good foot so I have strategically placed my finger over his poor deformed front leg and the photograph flatters him but I did it (with lots of help from superb teacher Corina Tettinger and beautifully hosted course at Mango Beads)
The other frogs were better but he was a proud achievement for me x

mel

Andy-I think that the detail is mostly sitting on the surface, however it is possible to encase 3D detail by dumping on gathers -it's all about heat control so you don't smudge or budge your design.

I'm rather hooked on making canes again, so thought I'd better do something with them and have made some small stud earrings:

yellow and green flowers by melanie.ingledew, on Flickr

turq hearts by melanie.ingledew, on Flickr

red starburst by melanie.ingledew, on Flickr

red flowers by melanie.ingledew, on Flickr

orange star burst by melanie.ingledew, on Flickr

blue flowers by melanie.ingledew, on Flickr
Laughinglass Lampwork Beads

mel

a couple more from me before the Harrogate knit and Stitch extravaganza tomorrow  ;D

Green waves by melanie.ingledew, on Flickr

Blue waves by melanie.ingledew, on Flickr
Laughinglass Lampwork Beads

lantana

Well, there appears to be no gallery this week so I am starting one late! I thought you might like to see Mr Claws, my Christmas cat!