Ccoollddd bbrrrrrr

Started by Beansprout, November 06, 2012, 02:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beansprout

My little HH is struggling in the cold mornings. I'm in a large uninsulated shed. It took me 15 mins to make a simple small/meduim sized bead...

Is anyone else struggling? HH or not? :D

TheJanie

I'm a wimp - I'm not even attempting going up to the workshop!

BeeBeads

I've got flu, so I'm sitting in front of the fire watching Dickinson's Real Deal  :(

Nicknack

Just girding my loins to go out to the workshop..............

Nick

Madam Steph

I've just labelled up all the glass I brough home with me from Tuffies at the weekend, so I'm itching to start torching, however, my ventilation kit has to be fed out of the window, and I can't say I'm looking forward to opening that window.

Shall I put on a fleece and start, or not?   :-\

Linda x

Lynnybobs

Fleece, hat and scarf and off you go and don't forget to show us what you make - did you get any of the new CIM glass ?
Lynnybobs
----x----

Madam Steph

Well, Lynny...time ran away with me and O/H is home soon, and he will moan like hell if I open the window.

I torch at one end of my lounge, so the scarf and hat wont be needed, but I'm certainly having to 'fleece up' these days, during winter torching.

The only new C.I.M. I fancied was the Key Lime. Fortunately, I bought some Thistledown last time but didn't get to use it yet. I bought a couple of packs of Key Lime, but my main buying was geared toward colours to help with the things I learned at the weekend up at Tuffies with Amanda Muddimer (Mango Beads).

I bought a load back with me but when I looked on my stock list yesterday, I decided to buy some more Eggplant and Great Bluedini (now it's back in) and some Effertre Specials.

Silversmithing tomorrow, so it now looks like Thursday torching for me, hopefully.

Linda x

Lynnybobs

Ah well all the best laids plans and all that !
I've not been in my shedio for a few weeks now :( and expect it will be very cold in there judging by the frost on the windows this morning.
I was quite fancying the look of Key Lime as well as I don't have many greens and it does look nice.
Have fun silversmithing tomorrow !
Lynnybobs
----x----

sparrow

Lol, I can't afford not to torch, but it *is* freezing! Two heaters on, but still can't feel my hands after a couple of hours!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Nicknack

It wasn't too bad in my workshop, but it is insulated.  I've got an electric heater in there to keep the chill off, and, if it's very cold and I'm going to be out there for long, there's a small woodburner.  Out there for about 2 hours, only made 6 beads - fairly large, and I'm not that good yet, so I can't work very quickly.  I think one might be nice, but have no idea about the others - opening the kiln will tell!  I tried the Galaxy Bead tutorial for the 3rd time (first time - grotty grey, second time - slightly bluer grotty grey) I think this time it will be, again, slightly bluer grotty grey!  By about the 50th try, I might get something like it's supposed to look.

Nick

Madam Steph

I gave up on the Galaxy bead last year, Nick.

I'm NOT going back  :D

Linda x

Beansprout

I've made one half of a pair of woolen handwarmer type things... they are very warm, and have just enough room for thumb manoeuvres  :D When Shedding, I also don my Rab Down Jacket, Thermals (I may make that two pairs of thermal trousers tomorrow), and super thick socks. I've got a tiny little blow heater but it's awkward to position... I don't want propane flame all over my direction if it is pointed at me!

Poor little suffering, even his flame is a little blue. hurhurhrur

tish

cold is no problem for me i torch in the house studio  toastie

nete

You wouldn't in mine. Boiler broke again. Mans on way. If he cant fix it I might light my torch to warm my hands up!  ;D

Nicknack

Quote from: Madam Steph on November 07, 2012, 07:10:58 AM
I gave up on the Galaxy bead last year, Nick.

I'm NOT going back  :D

Linda x

I think I may join you, Linda.  The third one was even worse than the first one, and it looked so blue while I was reducing it  :'( :'( :'(  I was sure I'd got it a bit better, until I opened the kiln.  I'd love to know why the silver foil goes to grey sludge  ???.

Nick