Ccoollddd bbrrrrrr

Started by Beansprout, November 06, 2012, 02:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madam Steph

Trudi

After beading in a very draughty shed, I made sure that Lamp Lodge was very well insulated!

Nicknack

Calico Cat

Quote from: Nicknack on November 07, 2012, 11:57:17 AM
Quote from: Madam Steph on November 07, 2012, 07:10:58 AM
I gave up on the Galaxy bead last year, Nick.

I'm NOT going back  :D

Linda x

I think I may join you, Linda.  The third one was even worse than the first one, and it looked so blue while I was reducing it  :'( :'( :'(  I was sure I'd got it a bit better, until I opened the kiln.  I'd love to know why the silver foil goes to grey sludge  ???.

Nick

Too much propane perhaps?

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Nicknack

Quote from: Calico Cat on November 07, 2012, 02:35:48 PM
Quote from: Nicknack on November 07, 2012, 11:57:17 AM
Quote from: Madam Steph on November 07, 2012, 07:10:58 AM
I gave up on the Galaxy bead last year, Nick.

I'm NOT going back  :D

Linda x

I think I may join you, Linda.  The third one was even worse than the first one, and it looked so blue while I was reducing it  :'( :'( :'(  I was sure I'd got it a bit better, until I opened the kiln.  I'd love to know why the silver foil goes to grey sludge  ???.

Nick

Too much propane perhaps?

Would that do it?  Should I not reduce it so much?  The tutorial says to reduce it till it's shiny all over, with colour like oil on water, but it never gets like that with me.  The silver stays on the surface, goes shiny, and, while I'm reducing, the red glass goes (mostly) blue, like it should.  Then I waft it in the neutral flame while heating up the clear for encasing (like it says), and it doesn't look much different.  Then, after I've encased, the silver stays and goes greyish brown, and the red goes back to being red!  Surely the silver should disappear except for turning the stars gold, and turning the red to blue.

Nick

Madam Steph

Lucky you ended up with red!

My effort resulted in what can only be described as a clear encased 'richard'*

Linda x

* apologies for the cockney rhyming slang  :-[

Nicknack

Quote from: Madam Steph on November 07, 2012, 03:28:23 PM
Lucky you ended up with red!

My effort resulted in what can only be described as a clear encased 'richard'*

Linda x

* apologies for the cockney rhyming slang  :-[

:D :D :D There's only a little bit of red showing through the poo coloured sludge, just enough to make it look even worse!  If it was blue underneath one could at least pretend it was clouds over the night sky, or something  :)

Nick

Nick

Quote from: Madam Steph on November 06, 2012, 03:12:16 PM
I've just labelled up all the glass I brough home with me from Tuffies at the weekend, so I'm itching to start torching, however, my ventilation kit has to be fed out of the window, and I can't say I'm looking forward to opening that window.

Shall I put on a fleece and start, or not?   :-\

Linda x

I got a piece of thick perspex the same size as the shed window, cut a hole in it the same size as the ventilation tube. Swapped the glass shed window for the perspex window. Once fitted I threaded the vent tube through the hole in the perspex and sealed it with tape. Fantastic ventilation, no draft, job done. Before that when I torched in the conservatory I fed the vent tube through the open window and filled the remaining gap with a large piece of cardboard cut to fill the hole. I covered the cardboard in cling film to keep it dry if it rained.

Hope this gives food for thought.

Nick

qwirkyglass

i kind of have the opposite problem of being too cold whilst making glass :/

Our furnace door doesnt shut and the glory holes are not very well insulated which makes a toasty warm working environment.
Its a really surreal feeling melting inside whilst its snowing outside, in through the window and onto your piece of glass lol.

But hey back to the torch this weekend, :D

Madam Steph

Nick....I can't say I would consider replacing the Everest Double Glazing with perspex in one kitchen window, but I get your drift  ;D

I may have to think seriously about the cardboard with the cut out hole, though. I refuse to allow the weather to curtail my glassy stuff.

Linda x

Noor

Hello,
sorry for you all that it is to cold to torch. I'm in my house so not for me, and  I am never cold that's a help. But please keep in mind that fleece is made from plastic, so if anything goes wrong it Will not burn but meld ( on to your skin). Good luck!

Lotti

Quote from: Noor on November 08, 2012, 08:34:50 AM
Hello,
sorry for you all that it is to cold to torch. I'm in my house so not for me, and  I am never cold that's a help. But please keep in mind that fleece is made from plastic, so if anything goes wrong it Will not burn but meld ( on to your skin). Good luck!

I have some lovely pin hole marks in some of my favorite fleeces from wearing them when torching :(  Learned my lesson now have 2 fleeces underneath a painters smock (cotton), plus thermal booties etc etc etc (not under my fleeces you understand  ::) ;D).

Beansprout

Quote from: qwirkyglass on November 07, 2012, 08:44:53 PM
i kind of have the opposite problem of being too cold whilst making glass :/

Our furnace door doesnt shut and the glory holes are not very well insulated which makes a toasty warm working environment.
Its a really surreal feeling melting inside whilst its snowing outside, in through the window and onto your piece of glass lol.

Oohh very jealous.... I miss my Uni hot glass studio in the winter... I could have set up a little carpet and armchair and had a nap every day in there!

qwirkyglass

QuoteI could have set up a little carpet and armchair and had a nap every day in there!

hehe i so want to do this, but my tech would so drop h+s on me lol
it makes me giggle when people who know we are here come in, shivering, stand by the furnace for 5 and then leave again not shivering :)

lyzzydee

I put my ventilation out the window but I have cut a piece of cardboard to fit the window and thread the pipe out through that. The window is open but the cardboard is a very snug fit I don't get any draughts!!