Need a kiln to sell beads? Alternatives...

Started by Beansprout, June 16, 2012, 03:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beansprout

I have a HH on bulk propane, but I'm itching to get a kiln and dual fuel bits- but I can't afford either atm. I anneal with cooling beads in a tin.

I'm looking to start selling my beads over the net. I've sold to friends and family, and they haven't had any problems with the beads breaking. I don't make overly big beads, just small to medium sized.

I've heard lots of things about NEEDING to anneal with a kiln before you sell... which is sensible. However, I can't afford one for a while, and I'd like to earn a little extra cash by doing me beadies.

Could I just sell the smaller (6-7mm) beads using the cooling bubbles, maybe with a slow cooker? I've only ever had breakages when the beads have been super big, and these were only for messing about with. I've never seen any breakages, even 3 years later, with the smaller ones I make.

Are there really any unwritten rules about selling reasonably-sized beads online without a kiln?

ARBeads

Somewhere on here there's a list of people that offer kiln space, why not see if there's anyone local to you? That way you can sell with the peace of mind that they are all annealed.
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

♥♥Tan♥♥

Look at it this way, a lot of the indian and chinese beads aren't annealed but they seem to do ok, fair enough they are cruddy inside and prone to random cracking but that is what people expect.

You can sell yours as unannealed but you will need to make that clear when selling them and selling bigger beads wouldnt' be an idea. I should imagine you would have to reflect the fact that they aren't annealed in the price........I don't know really, is it a moral thing? I guess some people will have issues and others won't care a stuff ;)

BUT...there are lots of kind people willing to rent kiln space so there isnt any reason to sell them unannealed and the more you make and sell safely the closer you are to a kiln ;D

Katiequiggle

I really don't think I'd ever sell a bead that wasn't annealed.  Apart from reputation, I'd be too worried that one would break and cut someone badly and they'd sue me or something daft.  I know It wont happen and I've got insurance anyway but who wants the hassle etc.  If you pm me you can
send your beads to me and I'll anneal them for me for the postage of sending them back. 

Kate x

♥♥Tan♥♥

Rebecca your glass blown work is really something beautiful and your murals are fab ;D

Beansprout

After seeing all the listings on Etsy of LW beads I feel really bad for not having a kiln!

Thankyou Tan that's really kind! I need to put my lw link down'ere..

Katie I may have to take you up on that.

I'll check that list ARB. If anyone can dig it up for me in the mean time I'd be eternally grateful!

ARBeads

Here's the Kiln section the lists a sticky at the top http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=102.0

Alternatively just put a post in there stating where you are and you may get lucky x

Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

tinker

Looks like you are in Bucks - give me a yell if you are!

Beansprout

I was mainly in High wycombe for uni, no I'm back home near Thorpe Park :)

tish

Becky_clarke

I saw your kind offer to another lampworker for kiln space. I live in Kingston and would love to find someone I could rent a little kiln space from. I have just started and am not quite in a position to buy one but would rather have things safely annealled.

Do you have / will to sublet a little space?

Becky

tish

sure im in kingston at least once a week i shop there a lot im on the 111 bus route from kingy

Beansprout