creative gallery archive 2011

Started by pixiewillow, December 20, 2010, 09:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixiewillow

I have never used a sewing machine until this week and I have to thank all the help and encouragement that I have had from marie  :-* :-*
Heres what I have made so far....

My first attempt went straight into the bin!!

My second attempt, not perfect but its only a tiny purse 5" long, fully lined with zip!

P1130812 by pixiewillowdesigns, on Flickr

My third effort, yes the handles are on wrong  ::)

P1130813 by pixiewillowdesigns, on Flickr

again it is fully lined...

P1130814 by pixiewillowdesigns, on Flickr

and my fourth and final attempt which I am very very proud of!!

P1130822 by pixiewillowdesigns, on Flickr

P1130823 by pixiewillowdesigns, on Flickr
;D ;D
www.pixiewillow.etsy.com
www.pixiewillowdesigns.com
A mans idea of multi tasking is breathing & blinking at the same time.

pixiewillow

www.pixiewillow.etsy.com

pixiewillow

www.pixiewillow.etsy.com

pixiewillow

I made a cute little reversible no tie bandana for my little Daisy dog  ;D  It simply slips over her existing collar. I managed to find some fabric that nearly matched her collar too which was a bonus  :)

P1140122 by pixiewillowdesigns, on Flickr

P1140130 by pixiewillowdesigns, on Flickr

P1140134 by pixiewillowdesigns, on Flickr

P1140135 by pixiewillowdesigns, on Flickr

P1140119 by pixiewillowdesigns, on Flickr
www.pixiewillow.etsy.com

pixiewillow

Had another play on the machine tonight  ;D

P1140178 by pixiewillowdesigns, on Flickr
www.pixiewillow.etsy.com

Pat from Canvey

One of my sons bought me this book by Susan Millodot last year and I've been trying out a few of the things in it. This is the Guinevere's knot made in 1mm leather cord. All I have to do now is make a set of beads to match  ::)  ::)  ::)

The next is a square knot bracelet, if you can call it that, made with knitting cotton

helenfc

Thought you might like to see some of my latest illustrations, these two will be going in the catalogue for the degree show (eeep!).
I'm experimenting at the moment with getting these and my bead making a bit more hand in hand. So the next few beads you see from me will hopefully be along this style/colour way!  :-\
Hope you like!

DSCN1751 by helenfchalmers, on Flickr

Mixed Media Illustration by helenfchalmers, on Flickr

Flyingcheesetoastie

I'm interested as it's something I can see crossovers with glass casting in some of the processes but I'd like to know more from anyone that's tried it, particularily with plaster molds?

Rachel x

Zeldazog

Yup, I've cast paper pulp into plaster moulds.... and concrete...

Zeldazog

Actually, you know what, that's the second time today I've come across something that I haven't done for a while and now want to have another go at.

Tonight at MILE club (Made In Long Eaton), we were doing wet felting, but it was a slightly different method to what I have done before and SO easy to make pictures, I just want to have another go (didn't get to play tonight, as I am one of the teachers, but I learned a new technique myself!)

And now, I want make paper pulp again...

Flyingcheesetoastie

Well I met a lovely lady yesterday who was at the symposium I attended and we were talking about moldmaking and she showed me a photo of her cast paper.  I didn't really twig till I got home and then in an e-bulletin there was an add for paper casting classes through in glasgow.  I can't really afford a class, plus if most of it is about the moldmaking, I think I'll manage somehow!  But the place it's held sells paper pulp to do at home so I was just trying to figure out if I had all the stuff to give it a try.

I've seen that CMC is used is that right?

Zeldazog

Flyingcheesetoastie

Um, it's like organic wallpaper paste?  I use it to make liquid liner in glass, you mix it with powder and it burns away but instead of making the line melt and flow, it contracts and makes a nice relief.  I've ony done it once mind!  I got the receipe from Richard La Londe via another glassy bod.

Anyway, I think it's used as a binder in the pulp?  Or not?  I dunno!  How did you do it?

Zeldazog

When we did it, we just used a mixture of different papers, making sure that one was quite fibrous, usually some white tissue for a nice colour and stuck it in a blender with water - didn't blend it too much as you need a bit of fibre length to hold it together, then chucked a bit of PVA glue in.

Sometimes it worked will, other times it didn't.  I did a lovely paper cast of daisy wheel from an old typewriter - I pressed the wheel into soft clay and made a open faced mould, then used an old book to make the pulp, not blending too hard so that it kept remnants of print.

I then also did a paper emboss of the daisy wheel, and used the edges of the wheel to produce some prints using old fashioned typewriter carbon paper.

The whole project started with taking an electronic typewriter to bits, so there was also lots of bits of work using ribbons, and I think I also did photograms of the circuitry inside.  It was a fab project (oh, I did love foundation!)

Sometimes the paper doesn't want to come off though, which is more to do with the timing - needs to come off before bone dry, but obviously not when still soaking wet, or else it falls to bits.  I had to break one mould apart to get the paper cast off...

I'd love to do a workshop with Magie Hollingworth....

http://www.magiehollingworth.co.uk/image8.html

Zeldazog

Hmmm, I know Magie used something in her paper pulp, I bet it's buried in all my uni notes somewhere (She came to uni the year before I started, so I missed her workshop, but someone copied me all her notes)