Bead Presses

Started by Bee, April 03, 2007, 02:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in buying a bead press from a new UK supplier?

Very interested
54 (81.8%)
Interested
11 (16.7%)
Depends (What on?)
1 (1.5%)
Not interested
0 (0%)
Prefer to stick to already established supplier
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

annasjewellerybox

that looks really good francis, i especially like the trio idea.

:)

fvf

:)

Glad its the kind of thing people think might work :D

Ok so I think what I will do is make up a prototype this week of the single press to start with just the check the principles of the coins and see how that fairs. If that works ok then we can develop this trio idea from there as that will take a little bit more work but not too much.

Keep the ideas coming though as i say the more I have to play with the better I can make this.

There has already been some ideas put into the storage of the coins so thats a definate possibility :)

Cheers

Francis

Trudi

Ohh I lost this thread for a bit!!  Really interested in seeing how this pans out. As a newbie I am still playing around - but it won't be long before I'm ready for a press, and if the price is right - then I'll be up for buying one!

Trudi

Billie

I don't know how I missed the pictures before!!!  Looking goooooooood  :)

♥♥Tan♥♥

What a genius Francis..what a mind... ;D

Trudi

Has there been any furhter progress on this one??

T

Dora

I'd like to give my 2 cents' worth of thought, if I may here. I started buying from Cattwalk about the time Corina Tettinger started marketing them over her website, the 1st press I ever owned were the 3-size lentil press. Then I really got the itch and bought more presses. Presently I own 27 presses from Cattwalk's 'standard presses' and another 5 custom-made presses (she made the presses according to my specs). There are even some presses which I have not used up till today!

Anyway, I wish to point out to Francis - I do not mean to crush your ideas and hopes but want to point out something - you need to go further than making similar presses that are already available in the market. There are too many suppliers these days offering the same items and you'd kill your bizz after a while as you may be forced to lower your prices to stay competitive. Personally I doubt it's enough to sell within UK to cover your costs and overheads, you do not have that many lampworkers as in the US. Also, Cattwalk and Zoozii have been selling for the past 4 years and they have a huge headstart. Unlike glass rods which need to be replenished all the time, you don't need to replenish a press in the same way. Also, there is a German manufacturer making presses here too, but he doesn't have enough buyers so it isn't cost effective enough for him to produce at  a reasonable price. He also uses brass.

If you really would like to produce presses for the European market, may I suggest you come up with new products which are not available anywhere yet. Also, the low US$ is an advantage in purchasing from the US these days, despite the fact you may have to pay customs and import duty.

BeverleyH

Dora, excellent points.  That's my fear about anyone setting up afresh - not enough business to be competitive and I would think with set-up and tooling costs, the basic items wouldn't be much cheaper than buying from the States - as much as I'd like to buy here!

Bev :)

Bee

Thanks for the concerns guys. I'll make sure Francis has a look at this.

Our aim was to try to make these at a lot less cost than is currently available and we have some new ideas in the notepad but until we get the prototypes made and do the costings we won't know for certain...

Bee

Hiya all,

Sorry for the delays in even getting the prototypes done but we're struggling to get brass due to a shortage. Expecting it soon, though!

kaatje

Interesting topic!  Any news yet?
Love, Karin

Sulis (Hazel)

I'd love to know if there is any news on this topic too please. I don't have any presses yet and cost has been a bit prohibitive, but I would certainly be interested next payday. I would dearly love a lentil press for reasonable size focal as my first one...fingers crossed  :-\

Hazel x

mams

Quote from: Sulis on June 02, 2007, 10:31:50 PM
I'd love to know if there is any news on this topic too please. I don't have any presses yet and cost has been a bit prohibitive, but I would certainly be interested next payday. I would dearly love a lentil press for reasonable size focal as my first one...fingers crossed  :-\

Me too! :)

♥♥Tan♥♥

me 4 5 and 6.....I've been at the choclit again....