Bead Presses

Started by Bee, April 03, 2007, 02:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in buying a bead press from a new UK supplier?

Very interested
54 (81.8%)
Interested
11 (16.7%)
Depends (What on?)
1 (1.5%)
Not interested
0 (0%)
Prefer to stick to already established supplier
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Bee

Hello all!

I've been boring all and sundry with my constant chatter about lampworking and finally someone has taken notice! I have a friend who has all the equipment to start making bead presses and is willing to give it a shot provided there's enough interest. (There may even be scope to design new press shapes).

Basically, what I'm trying to establish is:
-Is there enough interest?
-What do people want from their presses (size, shape, etc)?
-What is a reasonable price range?
-Anything else?

I don't know of any current suppliers in the UK and thought this would be an opportunity to banish customs charges, provided we can get exactly what we want.

Please post your thoughts on the subject as any input would be extremely useful. (I've never used a press so basically, it's all you until I can have a go!!)  ;D ::) ;D

Thanks guys!

♥♥Tan♥♥

annasjewellerybox

hey, i'd be very interested in buying some from a UK supplier!

Billie

That would be great.

I guess reasonable price range would be along the lines of what we'd pay from other suppliers (US$ to £ conversion otherwise it wouldn't be very competitive unless your friends was doing shapes we couldn't get elsewhere).

What sort of numbers would your friend need to find it lucrative enough?

In terms of shape and size, I don't yet have any presses but the trio's appeal, and shapes like the pillow, egg, lentil, diamond.... shapes that would make great earrings, pendants (so maybe also some focal size presses), necklaces and bracelets.

Custom made presses could appeal too.

*Nicky*

What would be nice are presses with 2 or 3 different shapes rather than the same shape in different sizes

Billie

Quote from: *Nicky* on April 03, 2007, 06:04:53 PM
What would be nice are presses with 2 or 3 different shapes rather than the same shape in different sizes

Definitely, at a decent size too.  Cattwalk do this as "sample" presses but you get quite a small size of each shape...

doubleglazed

i dont know of any uk suppliers it would be great to have some as you allways worry about import charges as they are quite heavy

bubblebabeuk

I love presses, I went for "Depends" as it does LOL
- I don't mind the whole needs a base or doesn't thing as I have both types, so so long as it used the smae style base as the cattwalk's then that wouldn't be a problem.
- I almost always buy the Trio's etc where you have three or more sizes of the same shape in the one press, really handy for making graduated sets etc.
- Price is a big one, it would have to be cheaper than the USA taking into account postage and customs charges.
- I also tend to buy a few at a time, and really like it when they offer discounts for multiple purchases, or the sets of presses like Zoozii's do.
- And finally shapes available matter, as does mandrel size and which way the hole can be run!

Bee

Wow! Big response!

Looks like I'm going to have to get my hands on a Cattwalk and a Zoozii press to see how it's done!

I don't mind ordering my own but obviously it would be easier (and cheaper) if I could possibly borrow one. Obviously I'd compensate for lending time. Would anyone be willing to lend me a press for a couple of weeks? What would you want in return? (Could be money or rods or jewellery-making equipment - I have silversmithing tools).

Photos of the bases would also be useful! Thank you!

Mary

I've got two bases, and I'm going to be away next week, so I can lend you a couple of presses and a base. A Cattwalk and a Zoozii?

Dragonfire Glass

not been making beads for long so haven't got a press.
it's the price that does for me as with having bought everything else recently, the bank account won't allow!
I would love to get one in the neart future though!

Bee

Ooh, thanks Mary. I'll send you a PM.

beadysam

I want a masher.  I can't stand the thought of paying a fortune for some barbeque tongs and the mashing tongs I have just don't press evenly.  Coonvalley does a mashing press with different sized spacers for different thicknesses that I covet. 

I also fancy a Val Cox style marver. 

Caroline

Quote from: beadysam on April 04, 2007, 03:39:28 PM

I also fancy a Val Cox style marver. 

i want one of those too

Bee

I'll look into it!  ;D

I really didn't expect this much reaction this fast but I'm so glad because now I have to actually get off my butt and get going on this - quickly!

I won't even dare ask who'd like to test out the prototypes!!