Bead Presses

Started by Bee, April 03, 2007, 02:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in buying a bead press from a new UK supplier?

Very interested
54 (81.8%)
Interested
11 (16.7%)
Depends (What on?)
1 (1.5%)
Not interested
0 (0%)
Prefer to stick to already established supplier
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

fvf

Hello!

Ok it seems that I have a lot to live up to so far  :-\ :)

I am the one who has taken this project on so I hope I can produce something thats going to be of some use to you guys. I have been talking to Bee about this for the last couple of days and i figured if I came on here I would be able to explain how this press should work in my eyes and if I am totally off the mark then you can tell me and we can alter it until its just whats required. I have all the facilities to produce this and from talking to Bee alot more that may be of use to you saving you shipping from stateside as I know through my work how much of a pain that can be so I totally sympathise!!

Ok enough of the rambling from me let me explain a bit about this press. The general design we came up with was to offer you more flexibility in creating shapes. Bee showed me two of the existing presses so far and to be honest I was amazed at the sheer size of some of the pieces of brass and the weight which is obviously why you guys end up paying so much to ship them over or at least one of the costs. So what we have come up with is a press which includes the base and handle all in one you only ever need one of these bases as they are going to hold what we have been referring to as coins. These coins will be made from brass to overcome the sticking issue as described above however the actual base will be made from aluminium and the handle undecided as yet to what its made of but thats here nor there. The coins will be available with not only one design on them but two per coin as if you remove the coin in that picture for example there would be another pattern on the reverse which will allow for the sets like you have on some of the larger presses. We have alot to think about as to how we are going to do the coins in terms of the possibility of sets of coins for the different sets but you obviously will be able to buy individual coin sets as well which means that will keep the cost down for you as you only have to buy this base once and then just order the coins to fit it, so less material to ship equals less cost parts wise and also weight in the postal service. We have to work out some costings once we have made a couple of prototypes but suffice to say we will make them as competitive as we can to the existing presses as for me this is not about a money making scheme its about providing a quality product as with all my work :)

OK so heres how it would work on the most basic level. The base will come with a top and bottom each section has the guide rods in them and the coins have cut outs which will fit to the rods to align them and guarantee a perfect press each time. There will be a small screw in the side which will go into a hole in the side of the coin (an Allen key will be suppled with presses) to lock the coin in place so they cannot just fall out. then you just go ahead and use it as a press as you normally would.

Say you wanted another design you just unscrew the set screw a couple of turns, tip the coin out and turn it over or insert a different design! simple as that.

In terms of size we are currently working on a press with a diameter of 62.5mm or 2.5" we might be able to in the future produce a larger press size if there is the need but thats something to come. Also the possibility of individual custom coins is also on the cards again this is something we will need to work out as i have to be able to program the designs ;) but on the face of it I can do it. Bee has shown me alot of different shapes you make and there are some that will be tough to produce due to the type of machine but then again I am game for a challenge so I will make it work, however as the machine i use is not that same as the ones that make the existing presses I will be able to make some shapes that have not been done before so keep and eye out for that.

Now the reason for posting these images is to get some feedback as the more we have the better we can make this product for you the end user so feel free to let us know what you really think of the concept so far ?

I hope thats not bored you all to tear and I look forward to working on this further

Cheers

Francis

FVF Custom Drums
www.fvfdrums.co.uk

Mary

Looks promising! One comment, though. The trios are good because if you misjudge the quantity of glass you can move up or down a size, or press a smaller one then add another layer and press in a bigger size. That would be hard if you had to swap out hot coins mid-bead.

fvf

Mary,

Thanks for that point noted

Cheers

Francis

Caroline

the above design would be perfect for focal presses but as Mary said not too good for trio's, personally i tend to buy more trio presses than focals

Les

I prefer the trios for some of the more challenging shapes.... like Mary said, you can change your plan of action if you misjudge the amount of glass on the mandrel then...

Single lentils will always be good investments though, I reckon... it's the first press most newbies seem to go for....I know I did :)

Les xx

beadysam

Me too Les!  I also prefer trios, they always seem like much better value and I am not a good judge of glass amounts so my beads tend to move around the 3 sizes LOL!  Could you join 3 together with one handle in the middle?  So that it looks like a fat catterpillar from above?

I love the idea of interchangeable coins though.   When you are further down the line with this project, you'll have to design some sort of holder for the disks too to keep them together.

fvf

I am sure we could attach 3 but it would get pretty large unless we reduced the overall size of them I suppose we coul do maybe a single press for other designs and then a trio press which would incorporate the different sized pieces but still using the coin ideas.

Let me have a think

Thanks for the feedback so far

Cheers

Francis

fvf

sorry just though of another question, would they nessecarily all have to be in a straight line? so long as you could put a mandrel through it could they be grouped closer together like three circles in a triangle each with a mandrel hole so you still have the three shapes just ont in a line ? does that make any sense ? :-\

Francis

Mary

Can't see any issues with that arrangement, Francis!

fvf

Ok,

I have had a play about with the exsisting model so excuse any mis aligned holes that look like they dont work!! however if this is feasible I will re draw it all so its a working model but what you have got is essentially three of these presses close together with the three coins in them. So this way you can use it like your trios. I can align the mandrel holes so they are clear of each of the individual presses but the guide pins will be set so which ever one you use it will align to all three at the same time.

Let me know what you think to it? we can do it in a line like the caterpillar suggestion though I though 1 this will be stronger and also will be more compact?

Cheers

Francis

Les

Looks very interesting indeed Francis....I think that as long as the mandrel holes run free of one another, it should be ok.
The only issue for me would be the distribution of pressure as you press down.... but maybe that's just because I'm not used to that sort of arrangement... I'm sure it would probably work just great... it just looks so very different to me...

I can't wait to see what develops here...... Keep up the brilliant work Francis.. I'm sure you're onto a winner here !!

Les xx

fvf

Les,

Thanks, the distribution of pressure I dont think would be an issue so long as I can make sure the three sections are all well fixed together. The unit looks alot larger than it actually is on the screen so I think that kind of makes it seem like it would be harder to apply a uniform pressure over the entire area. However if this is a viable option then I am happy to take this forward as well as the singles?

Cheers

Francis

Les

looks good to me Francis :)

beadysam

Caroline

oh wow, you've been busy, it's looking like a good and interesting idea ;D