Bead Presses

Started by Bee, April 03, 2007, 02:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in buying a bead press from a new UK supplier?

Very interested
54 (81.8%)
Interested
11 (16.7%)
Depends (What on?)
1 (1.5%)
Not interested
0 (0%)
Prefer to stick to already established supplier
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Billie

;D ;D  ME!! ME!! ME!! ME!! ME!!   ;D ;D

Caroline

Quote from: Bee on April 04, 2007, 04:42:10 PM
I'll look into it!  ;D

I really didn't expect this much reaction this fast but I'm so glad because now I have to actually get off my butt and get going on this - quickly!

I won't even dare ask who'd like to test out the prototypes!!

oooooooooooh you tease, you know we'd all be in line :D

Blue Kiln Beads

Not making beads at the moment but thought I would add my two penneth!  To have the opportunity to buy British would do it for me every time especially if the price is in line (as much as possible) with international pricing. 

Yvette Goodridge
www.bluekilnbeads.blogspot.com
www.bluekilnbeads.etsy.com

Dragonfire Glass

Needless to say I would be delighted to test a press!

beadysam

I'm not wonderful with presses but I'm happy to try something simple!

*rowanberry*

Some texturisers would be ace - like cattwalk ruffler and spiral ones...

I am so after a spiral one :-)
Claire

beads-on-toast

good call Claire
Spiral all the way

*rowanberry*

Rufflers are ace if you like doing seaside beads, ruffle a silvered ivory bead and it looks like a sea urchin!
Claire

Stacy

I would definatly be interested in British bought presses. Also my OH is contantly going on about them so no doubt he would be also.

Bee

Right-o.

We're having a meeting and prototyping session on Saturday...

I'm also looking into brass suppliers for costs so I should have a rough idea in a few days.

I'll let you all know how it goes. Wish us luck!  :D

Billie

annasjewellerybox

oooooooooooooo, how exciting

Bee

Well... After 6 hours in the workshop we've got half a prototype and I'm very excited!!

I think you're all in for a pleasant surprise! Obviously it's not finished yet so I've not tested it but I'm jumping up and down at the thought of it...

One question:

Does the press part have to be brass? If so, why?

We just thought that aluminum would be lighter and could handle the temperature but didn't know if there was a specific reason for using brass... (Plus, aluminum would be cheaper!) The other option was stainless steel.

beadysam

How do you have 1/2 a prototype? ???

littlegiggles

it's to do with the melting point of the metal...

technically molton glass is hotter than the melting point of alluminium, but because alluminium wicks the heat away so quickly it tends not to melt.  could mean the base could get very hot and distort and will have to be used on a heat resistant surface and be careful with fingers

would stainless steel have the same the same problem as mandrels in that when the hot glass hits it, it sticks?

I think it's brass for a reason