Bead Presses

Started by Bee, April 03, 2007, 02:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in buying a bead press from a new UK supplier?

Very interested
54 (81.8%)
Interested
11 (16.7%)
Depends (What on?)
1 (1.5%)
Not interested
0 (0%)
Prefer to stick to already established supplier
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

beadysam

littlegiggles

graphite would work, you get all sorts of marvers made from graphite... as I've found out to my cost if you drop graphite it does bread/chip

sorry not trying to be awkward

just dug out some info from inspiration toolworks who sell an alluminum optic mold

Optic Mold Safety:
-The mold will get very hot with use. Don't try to move it or touch it with your hand for 30 minutes or so after use.
-Be careful pushing the glass into the mold. Don't use excessive force or your hand may slip and touch the hot mold or the glass break and cut or impale your hand.
- If your glass gets stuck in the mold DO NOT wiggle, yank or attempt to pull the mold off. Wait a few more seconds for the glass to cool and shrink some more and then lift gently.
- If the glass simply will not come out, leave it, and remove it after it has fully cooled by turning the mold upside down and carefully pushing the glass out from the bottom.
- This mold is for lampworking or flameworking only, not fusing. It will melt in a kiln.

Bee

Thanks for the explanation about metals.

I think graphite is too fragile upon impact. ie. if you dropped it then it would crack. I may be wrong, though...

Half a prototype in that it's a bit different to what you're used to. It makes it cheaper to make certain bits and therefore saves you lot money. Even the initial outlay should be less than what you can already get. I think it's a pretty nifty idea but we need to make another part before I can use it to test...

I'm not saying any more!! :-P

Billie

Dragonfire Glass

Trudi

Ohh sounds interesting.

I'm new to lampworking but would definately be interested in presses - especially round buttons and lentils to start with.

What about large round mandrels ...............(Always want that little bit more!)

ABCreations

I got stung by customs so often that I could have bought at least another 3 presses for the money!
I'd be interested in all different kinds of presses but would like the multi shape presses as well as the multi size presses and of course all the other lampwork tools we can't get here.
At the moment, I'm waiting for another tool from the US, it's been four weeks now and I know exactly, that I will have to fork out again next week.

2 months ago I had to pay a £22 custome charge for a tool that worth $39. I would be happy as Larry, if you'd find a way Little Bee!  ;)

*Nicky*

Quote from: ABCreations on April 13, 2007, 09:58:44 PM
I got stung by customs so often that I could have bought at least another 3 presses for the money!
I'd be interested in all different kinds of presses but would like the multi shape presses as well as the multi size presses and of course all the other lampwork tools we can't get here.
At the moment, I'm waiting for another tool from the US, it's been four weeks now and I know exactly, that I will have to fork out again next week.

2 months ago I had to pay a £22 custome charge for a tool that worth $39. I would be happy as Larry, if you'd find a way Little Bee!  ;)

What was the VAT & duty amount your paid ? Was it just "admin charges" that made it that much ?

Marijane

Just been to collect my latest press and paid £11.57 for a press that cost $40!  I'd love not to have to pay that extra.

Mari

Mary

The PO fee has just gone up from £4 to £8!  :o I got a shock when I collected my press this morning!

annasjewellerybox

i noticed that today, when picking up a package from th P/O, i hope my one from the US makes it through

*has all her fingers crossed*

beads-on-toast

yeah i got my press this morning, good old postman didnt see the charge sticker, but it was over £11 for a $40 press
its getting a bit annoying now

Caroline

i bought a press last night, i hope it makes it through customs ok

One Key Beads

Hello all,

I've just put this somewhere else, but I thought I'd put it here as well.

Ebay seller smji65 (can't do the link thing, I just searched bead press and they came up) has large and extra large lentil presses for about $51.00, including shipping.  Cheaper than Soozies or Cattwalk so I thought the saving would go some way to pay the charges if it gets caught.  Feedback looks good so it may be worth a punt.

Jeanette

Bee

Righty-ho.

I'm waiting for some pictures of what the presses will look like to be emailed to me. (They look amazing!)

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...

Please feel free to ask technical questions once the piccies are up as my friend (FVF) is going to sign up and will keep an eye on this topic to answer any queries you'll no doubt have!

;D

(I can't wait to have a play with the final prototype - I'm like a little kid every time I see him!)