Silver cored beads using the Impress bead liner - updated!

Started by theflyingbedstead, April 29, 2009, 10:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnedlight

Don't worry, I've had one of these beadliners for about a year and I still haven't tried it!
kathryn

tsarvo

Stressing BIG time at mo.....

will explain later, but is there any where in the UK where i can get the thinner silver tubing (for big hole beads) ?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, whisky in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

julieHB

Quote from: tsarvo on May 01, 2010, 01:45:49 PM

will explain later, but is there any where in the UK where i can get the thinner silver tubing (for big hole beads) ?

Rashbel sell them, but it's not listed on their site, you have to give them a call. The tube wall is 0.3mm, instead of the normal 0.5mm.
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

MangoBeads

Rashbell but you have to ring its not on the web site ...

theflyingbedstead

Quote from: tsarvo on May 01, 2010, 01:45:49 PM

I have a small amount from Frit & Glas - if you need it urgently then please pm me.
Charlotte x

tsarvo

thanks to everyone for there help. i think i might have it sorted now.

still stressing so will post when i have given everyone food and i can stop to get a breath (and a whisky :))
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, whisky in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

♥♥Tan♥♥

BLimey, it must be bad if its taking whisky!

tsarvo

I like Whisky (and most alcohol drinks ;))

Yesterday was a nightmere and i have to say mostly my fault. :-[
A few weeks ago (aprox 6 weeks, yes i know!!!! >:() a lady asked me to make her a Pandora style bracelet and i said i would, up till now i have been using silver core caps from tuffnels. i ordered a impress bead liner at the beginning of the year and want to make my own. when it arrived it looked up all the instructions on how to use it and the more i read them the more nervous i became and kept putting it off. until yesterday. the lady had said that she needed the jewellery for the start of may. :o  i had made the beads weeks ago and made quite a few so she could choose.

well............................... my test bead went brilliantly so of i went feeling much happer, but 6 broken beads later and hot sweats and a huge blister later and i was deep POOPOO!
the silver i was using was to thick to start with.

once i had carmed down i then made 6 more beads and they have been in the kiln. so now i am waiting for the new silver to arrive and then i will start all over again. (god i hope i can get it right) :'(
if not it will be back to the cap cores.

i would just like to say thank you for everyones help and this thread, as it made using the bead liner a lot easier to understand than Art on the rounds instructions (not making excuses for my self but i cant read and write very well, which is why i got in this mess in the first place)

any way thank you all. xxx

MangoBeads

Lush!

Sarah, I'm thinking you're gonna be fine with the silver I'm sending you - its the easiest I've used because it is thin-walled so there's no need to anneal it (that's the bit I tend to get wrong, I either under-do or over-do it!) and it flares very easily. 

If you have any problems, I'll try to help out, although its a while since I did any coring ... and Manda's offer is far better than mine!!  ;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

tsarvo

Quote from: MangoBeads on May 02, 2010, 08:54:21 PM
If you get stuck hun - send them to me  ;)

OH that very kind of you, at this rate i will be running out of beads.
am i being incredably clumsy or is it tricky?
(or just me? :'()

thank you also Lovely Lush.

Lush!

It IS tricky - that's why silver cored beads are so fab and expensive!

The main problem I have (apart from annealing the silver) is if the bead isn't perfectly even and well-shaped at the ends, close to the hole - but again, this soft thin silver is more forgiving.  ;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Trudi

theflyingbedstead

Quote from: tsarvo on May 02, 2010, 08:44:57 PM
I like Whisky (and most alcohol drinks ;))

Yesterday was a nightmere and i have to say mostly my fault. :-[
A few weeks ago (aprox 6 weeks, yes i know!!!! >:() a lady asked me to make her a Pandora style bracelet and i said i would, up till now i have been using silver core caps from tuffnels. i ordered a impress bead liner at the beginning of the year and want to make my own. when it arrived it looked up all the instructions on how to use it and the more i read them the more nervous i became and kept putting it off. until yesterday. the lady had said that she needed the jewellery for the start of may. :o  i had made the beads weeks ago and made quite a few so she could choose.

well............................... my test bead went brilliantly so of i went feeling much happer, but 6 broken beads later and hot sweats and a huge blister later and i was deep POOPOO!
the silver i was using was to thick to start with.

once i had carmed down i then made 6 more beads and they have been in the kiln. so now i am waiting for the new silver to arrive and then i will start all over again. (god i hope i can get it right) :'(
if not it will be back to the cap cores.

i would just like to say thank you for everyones help and this thread, as it made using the bead liner a lot easier to understand than Art on the rounds instructions (not making excuses for my self but i cant read and write very well, which is why i got in this mess in the first place)

any way thank you all. xxx

Oh no!!!

It is all too easy to break beads when they have no puckers, as the silver needs space to move to when it's being flared, and a sharp glass corner doesn't give enough space. The thinner walled tubing can be far more forgiving if it's got a curled up edge to take the strain of tightening. So, I hope your new tubing works like a charm! If you need help you are very welcome to phone me...or visit! I am in Oxfordshire, if that is any help.  ;D
Charlotte x

Pandanimal

I'm still having problems with my bead liner too. Where do you get your silver tube from Lush?