Silver cored beads using the Impress bead liner - updated!

Started by theflyingbedstead, April 29, 2009, 10:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

julieHB

oh, cool, Fiona, didn't think of that!!  ;D

thanks, George, for explaining it all (including why nothing happens when diet coke has been tried  ::))
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Nick

If I have to remove fire scale from silver after soldering or annealing I use sulphuric acid. Works a treat. (More serious safety implications than the safety pickle though). If you do use this you MUST NOT use ordinary tweezers to get the silver out, you MUST USE COPPER TWEEZERS. All were obtained in the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham

Betty the Chook

A bit of copper wire bent into a hook works a treat and is cheaper than tweezers. Plastic tweezers from the pharmacy are OK too.
I'm really a Fiona, not a Betty the Chook.
It's just that I rather like hens
.... more than a bit actually

http://www.rhinoglassbeads.com

mrumruglass

Thank you, thank you and thank you for all this info.
I have decided to buy a bead liner, just cannot decide which one.
I'm stuck at choosing between Impress and Moore bead press. Will sleep it over and decide tomorrow.
My question is, for a beginner should I get the tubing with thin walls, or thicker ones? I like most the ones with rounded finish, not flat... Not sure if I am clear, but it's so late...

Lush!

Hi Mag!

My personal opinion is that although the thin walled tubing doesn't always look quite as fabulous, I definitely find it much easier to use and have much more success with it.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

julieHB

Quote from: mrumruglass on May 13, 2010, 11:46:34 PM
Thank you, thank you and thank you for all this info.
I have decided to buy a bead liner, just cannot decide which one.
I'm stuck at choosing between Impress and Moore bead press. Will sleep it over and decide tomorrow.
My question is, for a beginner should I get the tubing with thin walls, or thicker ones? I like most the ones with rounded finish, not flat... Not sure if I am clear, but it's so late...

I agree with Lush, a thin walled tube is easier to work - BUT the finish is not as nice, at least the tubing I have been able to get hold of, and this is really bugging me when I know how nice it can look (I have seen too many of Manda's  ::) :D)! So, with a thin tubing you don't have to do the annealing, but spend more time polishing. At least that is my experience.

I know you can achieve the rounded look with the Impress, but I am not sure you can get it with the other bead liners.

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

mrumruglass

Thanks for the replies,
I have emailed Dave ( from Impress beadliner) and he has some in stock.
It used to be a waiting list of 2 weeks+, well, the price is up by 50% but I still think is good value for money.
Now I just need to get hold of my husband's credit card.... ::)

Steampunkglass

I know this is an old topic, but I just wanted to add my thank you as I've just tried lining my first bead with this press, and these instructions made it so much easier and stress free! Thank you!   ;D

rocky

Wow! And thank you for bringing this thread to light again! I am hoping to get a corer for my birthday this month!
:)
Deanne x

Les

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Lesley Jane on January 12, 2011, 02:35:22 PM
Well show us then Glenn !! ;D ;D ;D
I would if I didn't keep dropping them on the floor and loosing them! :D :D :D I'm using brass and rubbish beads first to practise, the 2nd silver one I did broke  :'(

Les

Margram

I'm really tempted to spend my birthday money on one - but they are soooo expensive :-\...
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Trudi

Marg, Deanne

I have the Impress One if you'd like to try it out! Remind me next time we have a get together!

I'm interested in trying out the brass tube from Ginko http://www.etsy.com/listing/61156079/copper-pandora-sized-tubing-for-core  but I'm not sure if this is for 5mm holes - I don't understand imperial!!

I also saw this on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0BUn55TXm8&feature=recentf
Here she's using copper tube - so different from silver, but I didn't think you could turn it that fast - am I wrong?? So far I've only used the thin wall tube from Rashbel that doesn't need anealling - I thought if you turned it too fast that it would split.

Can anyone enlighten me?

ta