Silver cored beads using the Impress bead liner - updated!

Started by theflyingbedstead, April 29, 2009, 10:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocky

Trudi, thanks for that, I def want to have a try (with some cheapo tube!) I can't make this Friday - off to see MIL - but next time would like a 'try before you buy' :)
Deanne x

Margram

Thanks Trudi :) (but I might crack and buy before then!! ::) :))
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Fruddy

Quote from: Trudi on January 12, 2011, 08:27:37 PM

I'm interested in trying out the brass tube from Ginko http://www.etsy.com/listing/61156079/copper-pandora-sized-tubing-for-core  but I'm not sure if this is for 5mm holes - I don't understand imperial!!

Trudi - I have just bought some of this from Ginko, together with some silver, but thought the copper would be better and cheaper to practice on.  I bought a second hand Jim Moore press for my xmas pressie.

The copper tubing will fit 5mm holes, but it is ever so slightly larger than the sterling silver that Ginko sells, so I double dip my 5mm mandrels (I use Manda's) and it works a treat!

Dreams of Glass

I know this is an old thread, but I've just read through and it's really helpfull. Just wondering, as have a 2 year old impress beadliner that hasn't been used  :-[, is rashbels still the best place to get thin walled tubing for 5mm mandrels  ??? any advise would be really appreciated  :)
Ingrid                         
xx

MangoBeads

Blue Box Studio

Good question.  I can't find the silver tube on Christina's site now.  I'm using some tubing that Manda recommended from Rio Grande to fit her bead liner (which I love) but really need something that will fit Pandora as well as Troll.  I'm happy to anneal so pre-annealled is not an issue for me.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

theflyingbedstead

I have updated the info in my original post - something I've been meaning to do for ages!
Charlotte x

Dee Dee

Hi Charlotte, I've just stumbled upon your update for this post, thanks so much for adding to it!  I used the original version to get to grips with my bead liner and it helped enormously! 

I noted in your update that you've used thin walled stainless steel - you don't happen to know the supplier of this tubing do you?  Would love to try it!  Also, have you tried 3/32 tubing - any issues with this skinny tubing?

theflyingbedstead

I'm so pleased that it helped! I haven't tried the smaller diameters yet.

The chap I got my tubing from sells on eBay - here's a link to one of his sales http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Stainless-Steel-Tubes-5-5mm-dia-x-0-2-wall-x-322-long-/251587351725?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item3a93c654ad
I can't see any 5mm OD tubing at the moment though, but he does sell quite a few sizes so it might be worth sending him a message. If you want to try some before buying a load of tubes I can always post you a bit - just pm me your addy.
Charlotte x

Dee Dee

Thanks Charlotte, I would love to try a piece if that's OK, I will message you my addy!  Thanks so much!

I checked out the guys Ebay shop, but he doesn't ship to Australia, darn it!!!

lampworklover

Resurrecting this very useful thread again; hopefully I will get a chance to have a go at lining with my 'new to me' Impress at the weekend. Quick question; does copper tube need annealing?

theflyingbedstead

Charlotte x

lampworklover

lovely, thanks Charlotte!

Amazing how many BHB's I've found in my pots and bins all needing cores!

Carefulkate

I bought one a couple of weeks ago too so hopefully will be coring soon too xx

Nick Spirov

Thank you so much, Charlotte, for the updated info!

I just decided to buy the Impress - I think they should give you a commission for maintaining this post :D

It may be great to update the links to tubing sources, because this thread always comes up when I search.
The changes since 2014 are, fritenglas.nl does not exist any longer, but Rashbel have a thin-walled tubing which should fit Pandora: http://www.rashbel.co.uk/silver/silver-tube/silver-round-tube/silver-round-tube-0.3mm-wall/Silver-925-Tube-Round-5mm

I also found this source for brass tubing that seems perfect: https://maccmodels.co.uk/materials-metal/brass-sections/brass-tube/brass-k-s-tube-metric-thin-wall/5mm-dia-brass-tube-12-long.html  They also have aluminium and copper tubings but not thin-walled.

I contacted Debbi Hackeson from ginkodesigns, unfortunately she is not able to continue the business for personal reasons, but she hopes her US supplier Indian Jewelers Supply, who carry the right silver tubing, may soon offer the other metals as well.

That's all I know, thank you once again! Would be happy to see other sources published here.