Silver cored beads using the Impress bead liner - updated!

Started by theflyingbedstead, April 29, 2009, 10:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theflyingbedstead

Thanks for that Julie - and of course it's ok to add pics and ideas!  Wish I'd thought of that before buying some risers from Dave - DOH! 

Charlotte x

theflyingbedstead

Hi Becky,

Thank you for your kind words!

I tend to use my beloved Dremel with a felt mop and rouge to polish the silver afterwards, but with the beads in the tutorial I didn't feel there was any need to polish them.
When ordering from Frit & Glas, it is better to email Christina directly to see what she has in stock.  I do have some of her thin walled tubing and have pm'd you about that!

Charlotte
Charlotte x

Pandanimal

I have been scouring frit happens this morning for advice about bead liners. I knew there would be information here somewhere.
This is a very clear tutorial, thanks. Does this one work with copper tube too?
Lots of you have talked about using copper for lining beads in other threads but I have yet to find any pictures.
I'm getting the impression that this is the best value for money bead liner on the market, and easy enough for a complete beginner to use so long as they can make a decent bead. I am very tempted.

theflyingbedstead

I haven't tried copper, but I have seen one that Dave (who made the press) lined with copper.  There were some pictures on Lampwork etc.  When I find them I'll post a link.  He sent a section of brass tubing with the bead liner to learn with...very thoughtful, and that works a treat!
Charlotte x

theflyingbedstead

I have found the picture on www.lampworketc.com.  Here's the link:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98334&page=3

The picture is towards the bottom of the page.
Charlotte x

Pat from Canvey

Pandanimal

It took me longer than I had hoped to save up for my Impress bead liner. But it arrived yesterday morning! Dave didn't send any practise bits with it which was a shame as I would of sat down then and there and had a go. But I am hoping to make my first today. I have been making dozens of big hole beads in anticipation. Wish me luck!

julieHB

Good luck, Julia!! Just take it slowly and you'll be fine  ;D
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Lush!

Great to hear you're getting on well with it Tracey!

I hadn't cored any beads for ages but I was finally in the mood one day last week (and sold a few of them at the Big Bead Show  ;)).

I ran a little experiment when I first started that last session and lined a couple with my Argex silver tube unannealed - I can now confirm that it is definitely better to anneal the tube!  The unannealed stuff was simply too hard to tighten right down onto the bead - I couldn't flare it down or hammer it or dap it.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Ilona

I am ordering one :) how long did it take to arrive?

Katiequiggle

Thinking I must get one of these too, maybe a Christmas present.

julieHB

Quote from: Ilona on October 24, 2009, 10:14:29 AM
I am ordering one :) how long did it take to arrive?

Mine took quite a long time, 4 weeks. I don't know what is the standard time.

I think this bead liner looks quite interesting - very simple (150 swiss Franc is about £90):
http://www.glasperlenkunst.ch/Beadliner/Beadliner.htm
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Lush!

Oh yes, I really like the look of that one Julie, not seen that design before.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Katiequiggle

Crikey that looks so like you could knock one up yourself doens't it, if only.

Ilona

I am torn now between the Art in the round one and the one above.
After reading about the one above, it looks like you get all the differnt size pegs and they look very easy to change using magnets. Also it looks like you don't have to change the bead over then press, then turn it again.

Would the Swiss one escape customs I wonder?