Zephyr... my first thoughts

Started by Fruddy, October 21, 2011, 10:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fruddy

Well, my order came on Wednesday, but tonight is the first time that I have had an opportunity to try it out.

It comes packaged IMMACULATELY.... wrapped in paper... absolutely not touched by human hands... until mine got hold of it! ;D

Anyways....... with 006, despite me cleaning each rod within an inch of its life... I always had to swipe the end of it onto the end of my mandrel before encasing.... even if I had used the rod 10 minutes before, to get rid of bubbles/scum etc.

Zephyr is a glass beyond all class....

It is immaculate in every way.

You don't have to clean it at all

It is crystal clear.... from the moment you introduce it into the bead.

No bubbles... no scum... nothing...

Yes - it is very expensive...

I paid £30 from Tuffers and I got approximately 17 rods....  nowhere near the amount of 006 that you would get for the same price... but I am going to completely honest here....

If I can afford it in the future, and if it is available, then I will buy this every time.

it is a clear beyone all clears....

helenfc

I had a play with mine on Wednesday too, and it is gorgeous! I'm a disaster at encasing, but it was so clear, and I am very happy with the results, its beautiful ;D we should start a Zephyr show and tell! X

Sarah9959

I love it too. I don't really do much encasing but do like to put some clear over dots sometimes - so this should not prove too expensive for me as I don't use much.

Also it's great to feel confident that after spending time making a bead the risk of ruining it with scummy clear at the last hurdle has now gone.

It's a YES from me!!!

Sarah

helbels

I've had a first play this morning - everything's still in the kiln, so haven't seen the results yet, but it's a dream to work with - no scumming, no bubbles, no need to nip the end off the rod.

The only thing that caught me out initially is that it's much soupier than Reichenbach clear.  I also want to see how it does over frit, as there have been a few minor cracking issues reported on LE.

Agree though so far, it's scrummy.

awrylemming

Could somebody tell me this glass is awful?  Please!  I'm sitting on my hands from here on in, and not going near Tuffers  :P

Fruddy

Sorry Sue, no can do..... but there are a couple of rods of it in the little package that is coming your way from me on Monday ;D

awrylemming

You know that means I'll have to buy some  ;D  Ta hun x

julieHB

*la-la-la-la with fingers in my ears* I use far too much clear to buy this!! Sounds awfully nice, though!  ::) :D
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

awrylemming

Helen G

Quote from: julieHB on October 22, 2011, 03:19:08 PM
*la-la-la-la with fingers in my ears* I use far too much clear to buy this!! Sounds awfully nice, though!  ::) :D

my thoughts too  :-\

puffin

think of all the beads you can make with no scum etc if it is that good. I have got some to try so I do hope after I have made a few sacrifices to the kiln fairies this glass will work
Stacey

A Little Love Goes A Long Way

www.sillymooz.blogspot.com

MyPrecious

Oh dear... I use like 6 rods of clear in a 3 hour lampworking session so this could get very expensive for me! :D
Kathy

My website

helbels

Ok, I've been trying to take a photo that gives an impression of Zephyr in the flesh.

These are a set of implosions I made yesterday - they are unedited in Photoshop, but hopefully it gives some sense of how optically clear this glass is (the bead to the left of the photo shows it to its best effect).  

001 by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr

If you can't afford it, I'd really recommend that you don't try it at all, because once you have, it will ruin any other clear for you going forward!

chipperpottery

I have ordered some, so look forward to trying it.

puffin

Oh NO after seeing that photo I am dreading trying this glass 006 might start to gather dust !!
Stacey

A Little Love Goes A Long Way

www.sillymooz.blogspot.com