Zephyr... my first thoughts

Started by Fruddy, October 21, 2011, 10:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolene

That's just about the coolest bit of glassy info I've ever seen! And there was me thinking I could live without Zephyr, thanks for sharing Julie :D

awrylemming

I got some today - this stuff is just lovely.  And I wish I'd got it before I started masking and etching a whole series of beads  :(

Pat from Canvey

Great tip Julie, glad you experimented.

Jolene

Some selectively etched floral beads made with with Zephyr and 006 after seeing Julies top tip :D

etched blue florals 1 by kitzbitz art glass by Jolene, on Flickr

partially etched green florals 4 by kitzbitz art glass by Jolene, on Flickr

Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr)

Pris
My Website http://www.dancingwithglass.co.uk  My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/princesspeggy01
My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DancingwithglassLampwork

dangerousbead

I must  stop reading these threads. I need clear having run out but my encasing just wouldn't justify it yet. Plus No money for glass having just ordered a press. Bit chicken and egg that :-)

Pat from Canvey

I think I like the partially etched green florals best Jo, but both sets look good.

Rainbow1

I bought some Zephyr last Saturday at Harrogate bead fair but as yet haven't had time to torch  >:( Hopefully I will get some much needed (therapy) torch time this weekend.
Jo x

Amber

It doesn't etch? That's very interesting! Looks like I need some Zephyr as well as my Reich Crystal then  ;D

Purple Cobwebs

My lovely sis sent me some of this as an early Christmas present, and there was no way it was going away until Christmas!!!
I tried it yesterday and it was a delight to work with.

However....today I've found that a few of the beads that I encased with it, that had silver foil in them, have hairline cracks in  ???
Not had a problem with cracking beads before (I garage as I go), so I'm a little wary of the glass now.

Any tips?

Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

awrylemming

I don't know.  I encased quite a few beads with silver foil and haven't had that problem?  And loads of silver glass too.  I wonder what's happened there  ???

Fruddy

Quote from: awrylemming on October 31, 2011, 08:37:22 PM
I don't know.  I encased quite a few beads with silver foil and haven't had that problem?  And loads of silver glass too.  I wonder what's happened there  ???

Me neither... and I never make a bead without tons of silver glass and usually leaf too....

Maybe wait slightly less time before putting them in the kiln... perhaps they're getting just a wee bit too cold.

Purple Cobwebs

Thanks for the feedback. Will try again this weekend. Maybe I was gazing at the lovely clarity of the glass for too long before popping in the kiln  :D
Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

Lush!

I was teaching this weekend and we had a go at Zephyr stringer on transparent beads, then we etched them.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Margram

Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog