Horrible results batch annealing Rubino Oro - HEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!

Started by sublimekate, August 22, 2008, 12:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sublimekate

That's interesting because my original batch was slightly cloudy looking (the one I've had the problems with, and a subsequent batch is exactly the same, not knowing any different I assumed that's just how it is. But yesterday I noticed that a single rod that Kaz bought over (part of a little glassy gift, so lovely of her) is completely different, much clearer with a raspberry appearance.

I'll have a go with it when I get time and see if the results are any different. Kate x

BeadyBugs

Yeh, it does possibly sound like a batch problem.  I only ever batch anneal, and have never had this effect from Rubino.  But like Sal I don't buy loads of the stuff and have noticed differences when I have bought new rubino rods.  The batch I'm using now I bought probably over a year ago, and is quite a deep cranberry colour on the rod and works the same.

Such a shame about the cat Les - he's so cute you should definitely make another one!  ;D  And I quite like the etched bead - it's a lovely soft colour. But I can see why you're miffed Kate, I would be if my beads had changed that much, they are still really pretty though.  They look almost like they are made from EDP, that pinky mauve colour, I wonder whether the 2 colours (EDP and rubino) share similar ingredients?  ???

Sorry I can't be more help - let us know how you get on with Kaz's rod - fingers crossed.

HP xxx
Helen P

Mary

I'm reading this with interest, I find all the differences in glass fascinating.

Helen, Ingridh on LE says in her "Sweet Dreamy Purple" tut that she thinks EDP is an attempt at opaque rubino, by mixing it with opaque. The way EDP seems to separate out, you can seem to bring out the glossy rubino colour.

Redhotsal

'Morning campers!  :D

Thought you might like to see what I got from my batch anneal:

Definitely a batch problem then. The one on the left is an old stash of rubino I have (can you see the goldy/brown haze? - kinda ugly). The one in the middle is an ugly bead - apologies for the lack of dimple - the phone went and I just dumped it in the vermic! The one on the right is the new stash I bought on Saturday.

So, is everyone saying that you don't get this purplish effect with hot annealing? Strange...... ???

My advice would be to hoard your stashes of this new rubino. I LOVE the EDP colour but always struggle with the devitrification. It may not be rubino as we know it Jim, but it sure is purty......... ;D

Trudi

I ordered some from Martin when he was at Newmarket, and when I got it home (it was pre-wrapped) I was convinced he's given me the wrong glass (thought perhaps he'd given me CIM?)

The top 2 were the normal cololur I'd expected - and I got the bottom one - completely different. But when I looked sideways on I could see the "Rings". So I emailed him, and he assured me it was Rubino Effetre. But I have to say when I've used it, it's been fine. I felt better when I read Think Pink and Sarah mentions the difference in colour!

That said - if it is going cloudy - and there are a few of you with the same problem, it could be a bad batch!

Redhotsal

Yes, when I saw it on Martin's shelf at Stourbridge I thought it was CIM too!

BeadyBugs

Mmm that makes sense Mary, I'm guessing there are only a limited number of chemical constituents that go into the glass colour palette and will withstand such intense heat.  So different bases with similar pigments are used.

I rather like the EDP effect Sal, I love the colours you can get from EDP, but always get devit whenever I faff around too long.  Might have to get some of the new rubino and have a play.

HP x
Helen P

Amber

Sal, the one on the right looks familiar...here are some of mine, before and after annealing;

I got mine from Martin about a year ago and the rods are actually a very pale pink - almost clear, although they do go dark when heated.

turnedlight

Yep mine too, I had a mix of very pale and a couple of pinker ones, but they are definately not purple..

The differences in colour is down to the thickness of rubino over white, the one on the right being the thickest..

kathryn

Sarah

That bead on the right is beautiful Sal  ;D

If only I'd known I would have bought some  :'( 

I might be on the 'phone to Martin in the morning

Sarah
xxx

silverlemon

Oh yay, now I'm excited!

I bought some on Saturday too, I thought it looked so gorge that I'd try to get it like the colour of the rod when made into a bead.

Interestingly though, I got this lovely purple translucent colour when my kiln went wrong last year and overheated on my annealing cycle. All my beads ended up flat on one side and my rubino went this purple like you're getting.

I wonder if it's possible to get the normal rubino colour by reducing the annealing temperature to it's lowest, after all it is an annealing range.

I use lots of rubino, and love how it's different! I can't wait to try this new one, and like Sal, if you don't want yours, I'd be interested  ;D
Bionic Sarah xxx    Sarah Downton On Facebook  My Etsy Shop

MadelineBunyan

Ive never had rubino before and I bought some from martin at stourbridge. its definitely this milky cloudy stuff that youre all on about...

I usually anneal as I go and have not got any of it to be transparenty like in sarah hornik type beads

I have to say I quite like this milky raspberry thing its doing, thought it was just me though and that I was doing it wrong, nice to know I'm not!

and it most definitly has to share some ingredients with edp, on the rods I have used there is a slightly pinky purple pale opaque ring around the end I have heated exactly like edp looks

if anyone wants to swap a rod of their transparenty cranberry looking one for one of these to give it a go(if they like the look that is!) I'd be glad to, I'd like to know what its meant to do! contact me on website, I check it more often www.madelinebunyan.com or come find me on LE