Horrible results batch annealing Rubino Oro - HEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!

Started by sublimekate, August 22, 2008, 12:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sublimekate

I've made several bead sets using rubino oro, I don't have any problems when 'annealing as I go' but when I batch anneal this happens:

Before Annealing

And after

You can see the problem, I end up with a murky purpley/pink, I used the following programme

PRO1
Ramp1 149C
Temp1 520C
Hold1 60mins
Ramp2 78C
Temp2 371
CHold2 0000mins
Ramp3 0000

My kiln is a Paragon SC2.

Any Ideas?????

Trudi

Very bizzare - I have an SC2 and use pretty much the same schedule - so I can't help you.

But it has been said before that kilns are like cars - may look the same, but they handle a little differently!

Sorry - that doesn't help!

Vicki

they might not be what you wanted, but they are still pretty :)  they might have struck in the kiln??

Les

I've had the same happen to me ....
Before...

After...

Different bead, but the same has happened to all of them :-\

dinah46

Had me going there Les - thought the kiln fairies had reshaped the bead ::)

Les

Les

My beautiful cat also cracked in the kiln, so I'd say it was a pretty bad kiln day today  :'( ..... I mustn't have cooled it gently enough, so it went in the bin in disgust  :'( :'(

I hate having to batch anneal :(

garishglobes

Well, if I was a kiln fairy, I'd have snaffled that cat!
I too use almost exactly that schedule with no problems as yet.

Do you think it has anything to do with something in the base glass?

...was typing this cross-posting though - have just seen cat cracked...that's such a pity, he was gorgeous...

Les

Hmm.... don't know about schedules... I've got an old fashioned ceramic kiln with very basic controlls, but this has never happened to me before.... broken beads cos I batch anneal is just a hazzard of the job :(

I'd give my right arm for a proper glass kiln... I'd love the luxury of being able to make more complex beads, annealing as I go :(

xx

Redhotsal

They're still pretty though.....

Sounds to me like there's a lot of problems with rubino right now - either you're all bought Sarah's book and are using a heck of a lot of rubino OR there's a problem with a particular batch. I thought I saw something else about rubino going milky/changing colour etc? I've never come across this before so it might be worth you all conferring over where and when you bought your rubino. I'm betting it has all come from the same supplier and has a problem.

Les

Hmm.... dodgy batches ... probably is, knowing my luck :-\

For the first time ever I have bought a whole bundle of it... I normally only buy it in single rods as my results have always been pale and burnt out, but I was determined to finally get to grips with rubino properly...

Never mind... I do still like the effect though... it has gone a beautiful deep lilaccy pink :) Wonder what it'll look like etched....

*off to dig out the etch all*

:)

sublimekate

Thanks, everyone. I wonder if it is a batch problem, I've got some more purchased at a different time so will try that.

I'm even more upset to hear about the Cat  :(

Les

Aww... I'll live  :-\

I can't have a go to see if it's a dodgy batch as I'd got no rubino in at all before I bought this lot... could you let me know how you get on ??

Les xx

sublimekate

Will do when I got some torch time.......4 kids trashing the joint at the moment...roll on 3rd September.

Les

Ha ha ha ... I soooooooooooo know where you are coming from... ;D