Horrible results batch annealing Rubino Oro - HEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!

Started by sublimekate, August 22, 2008, 12:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trudi

Quote from: Les on August 22, 2008, 01:28:20 PM
Aww... I'll live  :-\

I can't have a go to see if it's a dodgy batch as I'd got no rubino in at all before I bought this lot... could you let me know how you get on ??

Les xx

Perhaps while you're at Stourbridge you could buy another rod - and give it a go???

Only other thing is to note down what glass you used it on top of - and perhaps the others who have reported the same thing today can do the same and you can compare notes!

sublimekate

With the ones I put at the beginning of this threat it was just over white.

I've used it over EDP and various transparents but annealing as I go with no probs.

Maybe it's the white ???

Kaylee

I've used it over Effetre pale pink and a couple of other Effetre colours that I can't remember exactly... not white I don't think though - and Gelly's Sty.  All batch annealled.  I have some rubino from a different purchase so will have a go with that over the weekend & see if it makes any difference... I wondered if it was the batch annealling causing the problem?

Les

I don't know.... I don't use rubino often enough to comment... but I do know that on the odd occasion I have used it in the past, I've not had this problem..

I'm stumped ???

Redhotsal

That cloudy pink is lovely though - never seen it with rubino, looks like a Bullseye pink. If it turns out that the batch is a rum 'un I'll happily swap stuff for some of it!

Les

turnedlight

I have some rubino I bought a while back, I've not had this problem, but then I don't batch anneal.. if you suspect that's the prob, I suppose you need to try a session annealing as you go..
kathryn

Amber

I had this problem batch annealing rubino in my SC2. The effect is quite nice in a way, but disappointing when it's not what you want. It's actually putting me off annealing my rubino.

Btw it happens whatever I do with it - just on it's own, layered over other colours and encased...all purple.  :(

Shirley

All the rubino I've used recently has come out of the kiln as it went in. Plain rubino came out a great raspberry colour. That was batch annealing in an SC2. It is glass that I bought over a year ago, though, so not a recent batch.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Les

sublimekate

Oh yes that looks much better, I'm going to try that with mine. Ta. Kate x

turquoise

Quote from: Les on August 22, 2008, 01:06:55 PM
My beautiful cat also cracked in the kiln, so I'd say it was a pretty bad kiln day today  :'( ..... I mustn't have cooled it gently enough, so it went in the bin in disgust  :'( :'(

I hate having to batch anneal :(

Oh that is a real shame that cat is beautiful,  :-\

www.morellobeads.co.uk

Les

Trudi

Quote from: Redhotsal on August 22, 2008, 04:18:45 PM
That cloudy pink is lovely though - never seen it with rubino, looks like a Bullseye pink. If it turns out that the batch is a rum 'un I'll happily swap stuff for some of it!

Hey - sounds like everyone could be kept happy here!!

BTW - I batch anneal in an SC2 and have not problems! (in fact since I boght Think Pink I've had better results!)

Redhotsal

I bought some new rubino off Martin yesterday as it looked interesting. It's more "raspberry" than "cranberry" in colour and looked slightly cloudy.

I've done a test bead with this new stuff and a test bead with my existing rubino stash and let them cool in vermiculite. They both look like rubino should do.

I've just put them in my kiln as I've got to batch anneal some beads for an ex-student so we'll see what comes out tomorrow.

I must say that I've never found rubino to be consistent over the years. I tend to buy a bunch of it every 18 months or so (as I don't use it in huge quantities) but on each occasion I have bought it, it has been very different to the last one. The first lot I had was claret-like in colour and the colour strength was brilliantly intense. The next lot was actually clear and had to be struck in the kiln. Even then the colour was wishy washy. I've had rubino that had a gold/brown haze around it when encased. My last lot is okay but not as intense as I would like. The stuff I bought yesterday just looks plain "wrong". It shouldn't be cloudy? Oh well - guess we'll see what the kiln fairy brings.........