Everything you needed to know about ETCHING

Started by SueP, January 29, 2008, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawn

Forgot to mention that from the articles section it is in the Glass Fusing Section.

Sorry

Dawn

Amber

If you etch before annealing, beads go shiny again in the kiln. They are 'fire polished' in the same way you flame polish to get rid of chill marks. Which is handy to know if you etch a bead and don't like the effect...just stick it back in the kiln!  :D

Katerina

I am sorry I know it is a stupid question but I want to make one of my bead frosted looking I know it's called etching. But I am looking for a word .....how you call this thing (liquid? or..) any way this thing which make glass frosty  and where can I bye it?

beads-on-toast

etching fluid or cream

i use the fluid, bought from Tuffnels think it's called etch all - dip'n'etch

Mand

Yep, I got some too from Tuffnells. Powerful stuff so handle with extreme care! ;)

Katerina

Thank you :) Some times it's hard to find thing if you don't know what are you looking for lol :)  ;)

Mand

Katerina

Quote from: Mand on June 30, 2008, 09:03:03 PM
I get that feeling most of the time!  ;D

it's make  2 of us :) well one day :) We will be THE PERSON WHO KNOWS EVRYTHING

Mand

LittleMoo

This might be a daft question but is the etching liquid that is used on beads the same as the stuff used for printed circuit borads? Hubby has some of the latter which is described as Ferric Chloride - could i use it to etch my beads?

flowerjasper

hi rozelle,
just looked at my etching liquid, the active ingredient is ammonium bifluoride.
worth a go with your stuff, as its an acid attacking the smooth layer.
sandy x

grandmabead

Hi All,
I am without gas at the mo so can't make beads so am wanting to have a go at etching some of my fuglies just to try it out but need some help with the overall process. I have read that Dip n Etch can be highly dangerous so would like some advice from you loverly beady experts out there. I searched everywhere for a tut on etching and could'nt find one so sorry if i am asking a useless question here.
;)

1: What should i use to suspend the bead in the etching solution with? Can i use string?

2: Cleaning off the beads after etching - what is the best and safest way to do this?

3: Rough idea of etching times - i only want a soft satiny effect rather than a deeply etched effect

4: Any amazing hints and tips you have discovered would be most welcome me lovelies  :-*

glassworks

1.. string is fine...

2.. bicarb of soda in water to neutralise the acid..

3.. no idea, try and see!! ;-)

try painting out areas of the bead with bead release or similair to give areas of shine and matte...

Pam

I'm no expert but
1) Fishing nylon
2) 5 - 15 mins (have left it much longer 1 hour-forgetfulness and no problems)
3) Bi-carb
4) Paint with nail varnish for smooth - non-etched areas- and peel off after cleaning.

Pat from Canvey

You can get "Etch all resist gel" which just peels off after etching. Plus the bottle has a small nozzle which makes application easier. Don't worry too much about danger. Provided you don't pour the stuff over yourself, you'll be fine. I usually use fine copper wire , bought on a spool from Maplins Electrical, to suspend the bead using a mandrel balanced on the pot of etching fluid. The wire is useful for all sorts of things to do with beads, keeping sets together etc. Even if you do spill the bottle over yourself, washing under the kitchen tap will do. The cats just ignore it anyway, just as they stay away from the torch.