Previous topic - Next topic

chipperpottery

If the glass comes out dirt looking, is that :-
Working to close to the flame
To much oxygin /air
Or ?
please can you advise. :)

Mand

This happens to me sometimes too.  Don't know why.  A couple of times I've been close to the end of the propane bottle.  Krysia suggested washing the glass ?!  It definitely helped with transparents.

Margram

It could be that your flame has too much propane in it.
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

chipperpottery

I have my oxycon at around 3 maybe I will put it up to 4.

thanks

Magpie

I'm like Mand, I get crud in the glass when I'm torching on the dregs of the propane.

petrahergarden

i have this problem since i changed from an Mini CC burner with 1 5 liter concentrator to a Bethlehem burner with 2 5-liter concentrators, i get dirty glas, i am not sure what makes this problem, the gas bottle is new and full, anyone an idea?

Dietmar

Every torch needs a ceartin length of the flame to complete the combustion. This length seems very short at the mini CC and it might be longer at the bethlehem burner. That means you might have to work with longer arms (more distance to the torch) if the flame setting is OK.

Try to compare the color of the flames. Adjust the mix to get a more blue flame with a purplish hue. A tourquoise hue means too much propane.

You will have to learn seeing it comeing. This "dirt" ist already visible in the flame while making the bead. Make a spacer from opaque turquoise glass or an other glass with a copper color (reducing to red). Work as far from the torch as possible. Lok at the surface of the bead under good licht, if there are reddish spots (I hope they art not there). Go back into the glame and place the bead very close to the end of the torch, inside of those brighter burning "candles" and look for an oily brighter glowing shine on the surface. Before the glass is too hot go out of the flame and look at the surface, again. It should have some red spots. The final part of this exercise is to "burn away" those spots by working very far away from the torch end. Those brighter glowing spots should disappear slowly in front of your eyes. You might want to repeat this procedure once more untill you see, what I want to tell you.

I hope to give you with these two lecrures the "tools" to avoide those "bad colors" or the "dirt".

Can you tell me on which colors this "dirt" was showing up most and where it was just barely visible?