Everything you needed to know about ETCHING

Started by SueP, January 29, 2008, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les

Dragonfire Glass

I just love etched beads, especially transparent ones  ;D

Kaz

I think I know that it will be OK, but just wanted to be sure - is it OK to etch beads with SIS and silver wire on them?
Just been to Asda Doncaster where I have to say they have a good selection of "stuff" - got plastic bowls (50p each), plastic tea-strainer (34p), plastic jug (25p), plastic tongs (37p), an ice-cream scoop as recommended by Teresa Laliberte in the goddess tutorial (£1.70 - flashing the cash there!) and some amazing tiny plastic food storers that will be great for my loose frit (24p each). Blooming well forgot the bicarb - I hope I have some in the store cupboard.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Pat from Canvey

Here's a wine bottle bead selectively etched. Taking a good photo of these is difficult as there are so many reflections, but this was taken in daylight against a Creation Station black rubber elbow mat.

It's easier to photo a bead that has been fully etched.

turquoise

oooh

had a go at etching this morning, it took ages!! I put the beads into a plastic container and put the etching fluid on. I had to wait 40 mins before anything happened!!!!

The beads look nice so I shall have another go next week  ;D ;D ;D

www.morellobeads.co.uk

grandmabead

Pat that semi-etched bead is lovely, given me some ideas to try out next time - thanks.

turquoise - it only took 15 mins for my beads to etch!  :-\ Go figure?

Shirley

Depends on which glass they are, I think
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

mariag

Ordered some etching fluid from Martin today....been meaning to get some for ages!!
Thanks for the shopping list Kaz, although my Asda didn't have any plastic tea strainers - go figure :D

Pam love that partly etched bead ;D

Lush!

Quote from: turquoise on August 21, 2008, 04:22:54 PM
oooh

had a go at etching this morning, it took ages!! I put the beads into a plastic container and put the etching fluid on. I had to wait 40 mins before anything happened!!!!

The beads look nice so I shall have another go next week  ;D ;D ;D

I have found that some glass resists etching (CIM greens I think) but you can't always tell that the etch has worked till after you've washed and dried the beads ... oops that reminds me, must just go and get my beads out of the etching fluid!   :D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

beadmonkey

Found these instructions on bead etching from Etchall who make 'Dip n Etch'

http://www.etchallstore.com/etch_beads.htm

:) Roy

beadmonkey

btw i found some etching fluid in Maplins that is cheap!!! It's Ferric Chloride! Does anybody know if it's suitable for etching glass beads? I wonder if 'Dip n Etch' is in fact just Ferric Chloride!!! ???

Roy :)

Kaz

Quote from: beadmonkey on August 22, 2008, 12:11:38 AM

Interesting - absolutely no warnings about H&S!
Thanks for this Roy.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

grandmabead

Quote from: Kaz on August 22, 2008, 07:07:03 AM
Quote from: beadmonkey on August 22, 2008, 12:11:38 AM

Interesting - absolutely no warnings about H&S!
Thanks for this Roy.
Kaz

Hi Kaz. Yep, i find it extremely odd that H&S warnings are thin on the ground with the etching fluid too - you would think that there would have to be better info available even if the stuff is imported. Oh well, we'll all go to Bead Heaven i suppose!
:'( ;D
P.S. still faffing around.....beads on their way soon, hopefully

Thanks for the link Roy

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: grandmabead on August 22, 2008, 08:23:50 AM
Oh well, we'll all go to Bead Heaven i suppose!
Only if you try drinking the stuff.

beadmonkey

It seems that Ferric Chloride will NOT etch glass. :(