Slumped handkerchief vessel/vase?

Started by sparrow, January 21, 2008, 06:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

How does that work? How do the ends come up? Why doesn't it just gloop into the hole? Or do you make it upside down, over a cylinder or bowl or something? Just wondered  :)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

♥♥Tan♥♥

I'm sure its a solid piece thats allowed to drape over an object, kind of imagine a sheet of glass being allowed to fold over an upturned vase.

Fancy having a go then ;)

sparrow

Errr....wellll......yesssss......kind of signed up to an 8-week evening course....first session was last Thursday, so somewhere in Sheffield, some unassuming coasters are baking  :D But I'll be making clever use of frits and so on, and use window glass......I can't *afford* another hobby!!! (strictly speaking, is it another hobby....or just an extension....hmmmmmm......)  ;D
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

♥♥Tan♥♥

ooo pics of the coasters when they have finished cooking, so how did you find it, did you enjoy it?

here to fight the force of eveeeilll

Stacy

Quote from: sparrow on January 21, 2008, 06:34:07 PM
(strictly speaking, is it another hobby....or just an extension....hmmmmmm......)  ;D

Well I do a bit of stained, fused and lampwork glass, trust me they are all under one umbrella and just an extention of each other!!! (Thats what I tell Pter anyway!)  ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

Sal

Oh don't tempt me-I don't think there is anywhere around here that does courses in any of them luckily!

Zeldazog

I'm sure there's one of Brad Walker's Warm Tips on this on the Warm Glass forum (he uses a tin can for the slump mould) - hang on, there might be something in his book which Santa bought me at Xmas and I have been too darned busy to even remember I got!

If I find owt, I will tell you.

And I sincerely hope that fusing is not a *different* hobby to lampworking - I can't manage any new ones!

sparrow

Quote from: tanok on January 21, 2008, 07:16:48 PM
ooo pics of the coasters when they have finished cooking, so how did you find it, did you enjoy it?

here to fight the force of eveeeilll

Oh Tan, you make me laugh  :) :) :) And much needed - just got a huge scare when I was feeding Toby upstairs and was convinced somebody was in the house.....oooh, I was like Mama Bear....indeed ready to fight the force of eveeeiiiillll............but so scared!!!!!  :-\

Not sure I'll share the coasters, they were literally just cutting exercises, but yes, it's fun! I figured I might as well get the best use out of my kiln, but of course now I want to do big and shiny things while I've got access to the big kiln in the class  ;D

Edited to say - oh, thanks Dawn, that would be fab - a tin can, eh? I'm sure I can rustle up one of them!
Sabine x

Soozintheshed

I made one, first I fused the glass into a sheet otherwise the edges are still sharp if you go straight for a slump.

then you slump over something, now don't make the mistake I did. I balanced a metal pickle dish on top of my ceramic stilts, then the glass fused and wrapped under the dish, so I had to smash it to get the dish out !!

Still, looked nice when I glued it back together.
Sooz     '(0,0)'

www.thebeadshed.co.uk
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Bead-Shed

♥♥Tan♥♥

you crack me up with your mad fusing, remember the lattice bowl ;D

Soozintheshed

Sooz     '(0,0)'

www.thebeadshed.co.uk
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Bead-Shed

sparrow

Err...will bear that in mind - although I could just call it art?
Sabine x

Zeldazog

Think this is it.... (sorry,  not had time to read through it properly!)

http://www.warmtips.com/20050812.htm - the link at the bottom of the page will take you through to next stage of tutorial

Dawn

sparrow

Oooh, thanks Dawn, that's brilliant!  :) :) :)
Sabine x

♥♥Tan♥♥

those warm tips are darn fine things aint they