Slumped handkerchief vessel/vase?

Started by sparrow, January 21, 2008, 06:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinah46

Here's one I did with float glass

This was done over ceramic mould but I have also used cheap stainless steel bowls from kitchen stores

sparrow

Yes, yes, yes, that's *exactly* what I want to do!!!! Do you mind me asking how you did that? Was it a bowl-shaped mould and simply more glass than needed? Oooh, excited now, it looks soooo pretty!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

dinah46

That one was a circle of 3mm float over a ceramic form but I have done others that I think were better with squares of glass over bowl shapes.

Just looked but can't find a photo of it at the minute but I'll upload a picture of the bowls I used and I cam pm the program if you like. It'll need tweaking for your kiln but it'll give you an idea.

sparrow

Thank you so much, that's brilliant! *sigh* I *love* this forum!!  :D :D :D
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Mary

Jim Bluemoon showed some a while ago. Let me see if I can find the thread.

Here it is! http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1742.0

catriona

Wow there great thanks for the link mary xxcatxx

sparrow

Thanks for that Mary, they're stunning! That's definitely going to keep me going!  ;D
Sabine x

♥♥Tan♥♥

BlueMoon

Quote from: Mary on January 21, 2008, 10:10:29 PM
Jim Bluemoon showed some a while ago. Let me see if I can find the thread.

Here it is! http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1742.0

I buy stainless steel whiskey shakers at the restaraunt supply store here for my floral form molds. You have to apply kiln wash or boron nitride spray to them to keep the glass from sticking. I also cut out a circle of thin fire paper to put between the glass and the mold. That way I get a real nice finish in the bottom of the piece. Its fun to play with different shapes and sizes of glass.  Circles, trianges, squares...all give a different effect to the drape. Good luck...have fun! Show Pictures.

Kilns, Torches, Tools & Supplies for Lampworking and Fusing

sparrow

Thanks Jim, your pictures really inspired me. I'm trying to talk my tutor into doing a draping cycle just for me - at the moment, everything gopes in together, all students' fusing work as well as my attempt at draping. I put my first attempt with the thickest float glass I could find in the bottom of the kiln last Thursday - next Thursday I'll get to see what came of it - fingers crossed! :) :) If it doesn't work, I'll be reduced to doing titchy bowls in my caldera  ;D
Sabine x

julieHB

Good luck with your fusing course, Sabine!!  Looks like you are going to have a lot of fun!!.....and please show us some pics, will you??  :)

Julie
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Zeldazog

Hi Sabine

What course are you doing?  PLease tell me more about what sort of things you are doing - I like to look at different things that we could offer on the NOCN course I have been delivering, different things to add to/change the course?

And photos are a must!

sparrow

Pics, huh? Erm, I guess I can be bribed  ;)

Dawn, it's a non-qualifying course, run by the Workers Educational Association - it runs every term (apparently), so you enrol for a term at a time, at £50 for eight weeks, once a week for 2.5 hours. As far as I can tell, you do what you want - in the first session, we were tught how to cut glass, in the second how to cut circles. Float glass is provided, everything else you have to buy yourself. There's a big kiln, loads of molds and a tutor to answer questions, so it's kind of up to you how much you learn. There are several people there who just seem to come to use the equipment, they don't ask for advice or anything, and of course there's no assessment, so I'm not sure how helpful this is???
Sabine x

sparrow

Hi all, well, I promised I'd [ost my efforts - not too pleased with the handkerchief (I think I created a fugly vessel for my fugly beads  ;)), but I quite like the plate :)

Sabine x