e6000

Started by sandmor1, February 06, 2014, 07:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandmor1

Hello, could anyone tell me if e6000 has a shelf life, once the tube has been opened.

I am having major problems getting bails to stick to pendants.

I have (really) scratched the back of the glass with a diamond drill...scratched and left unscratched the bails...I have used Devcon 2part epoxy and also e 6000. I have wiped them over with spirit and allowed it to dry...I have really worked the glue in to the scratching with a cocktail stick.. have clamped them in a vice...left them for 24hrs...all of this to no avail. A push on the loop and they just come off.

The devcon is new but I have had the e 6000 for at least 6 months (probably more) so I am wondering if it has gone off.

I have in the next few days 3 more glues arriving from Fleabay...Araldite Crystal 2part Epoxy, a cheapo 2 part Epoxy and a fresh E6000.

I should add, I live in the UK so many of the glues available in the US are not available over here.

I really need to get something to work as I want to add these to my craft stall in 10 days.

Sandra

GaysieMay

Not sure about the shelf life, but remember these type glues need a good 24 hours to cure properly.  I sound like my Dad!
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

mizgeorge

Once E6000 has been opened, you need to discard the first half inch or so of glue before you use it.

Devcon 5 minute is my first choice, and mixed correctly should set perfectly. The proportions really do need to be accurate though, and it's easier to mix very small amounts at a time.

Glyn Burton

What is the "spirit" you are wiping the pieces with ? if it is white spirit that could be the problem, if it is meths or acetone then I don't know what the problem is. I use Araldite, carefully mixing equal quantities for 2 minutes (time it) and don't seem to have any problems.
Best of luck

Steampunkglass

I've had tubes of it go off too, someone else here had the tip of keeping it warm whilst setting, she used to put things into a still warm oven, I used to put them near a warm heater, but I still had problems with it setting and once had a customer who managed to lose an ear stud in a shower from hot water loosening it (although she did that for two full months!)

These days I use DP460 but it is very expensive. You need to clean the surface with acetone, and takes a day to properly set and a week to be fully cured. When I've stuck things wrongly/crooked the only thing I found that can remove or loosen it when set is soaking in a tub of acetone. Warm glass sell both DP460 and acetone, they also have a impressive photo's of when they tried hanging a 50kg kiln from a glass pendant stuck with it - the bail broke before the glue! http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/images/pdfs/products/DP460%20Glue%20Advice.pdf

Flyingcheesetoastie

Any big chemist will have acetone behind the counter too. I get mine from boots and it's cheap.

As for glue, I use the two part epoxy from Warm Glass, it is expensive but it's the only one I've found easy to mix and doesn't discolour over time or effected by cold weather, as I sometimes do fairs leaving work stored in unheated conditions.

http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/e4005-structural-epoxy-adhesive-28ml-p-2974.html

I do used to use the DP460 quite happily but found I needed a quicker setting glue and also one that was transparent.

I've never used E6000 so can't comment on it but Araldite and most other cheaper glues have all resulted in failures and sometimes returned items.

Blue Box Studio

Not had any problems with DP460 (apart from the price) and mine's been around for over a year now, but yes, I get rid of the first half inch or so.  I like Devcon but needed some in a hurry and this was all Warm Glass had at the time (and is nearby).  I've had problems with Araldite failing in hot weather.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

sandmor1

Thank you to everyone who replied, I do appreciate your advice.

I have ordered the Warm Glass DP460 adhesive. I agree it is expensive but at the end of the day, if it works, it is a no brainer. There is no use in selling something which is going to come apart.

I now have 4 glues arriving and will keep you updated with my results...

Sandra

Moira HFG

I use meths because acetone evaporates so quickly, you only get to use half the bottle; and Araldite Glass and Ceramic, with very good results.

I'd be careful about clamping the two pieces - it's easy to squeeze the glue out of the joint so it becomes ineffective. Better to place it on blu-tack props and leave it overnight.

sandmor1

I have been using meths but I take your point on the clamping with a vice. That sounds like a very valid point  and I did tighten it really well. Won't do that again...!!

Now while I am waiting for my selection of glues to arrive...is it possible that the bails themselves have something to do with the problem?

I got them on fleabay, should I be going for more expensive ones and if so can you make a suggestion for me ?  

However I do want the keep them to a price which can be sold on the craft stall without putting potential customers off.

I want to add...I have just now ordered some from Warm Glass....fingers crossed

Thank you

Sandra

Flyingcheesetoastie

I use the same glue for 925 Sterling Silver stud backs and made in China plated cheese bails with no difference.

The other important thing to remember is ensure the glue is at a normal room temperature, the surface you mix on is clean and that you should still leave the rapid glues for at least 12-24hours to be safe

sandmor1

Quote from: Flyingcheesetoastie on February 07, 2014, 09:02:35 AM
I use the same glue for 925 Sterling Silver stud backs and made in China plated cheese bails with no difference.

The other important thing to remember is ensure the glue is at a normal room temperature, the surface you mix on is clean and that you should still leave the rapid glues for at least 12-24hours to be safe

Thanks Rachel,

The glues are kept in warm conditions in the house and I always leave for a full 24hrs. I also use a square of white card to mix each lot.

I am convinced the problem lies with me but how I don't know.....

I have now got the first of my 4 new glues..Araldite Crystal 2 part epoxy and have glued 3 bails/pendants...so fingers crossed....

Sandra

sandmor1

I'm sorry for being a pest but I need a little more help..

I have used the Araldite and it seems to be working ..so that is something.

But yesterday I ordered from Warm Glass the DP460 with plunger. I paid for 1 day delivery as I wanted it fast. It arrived today..great..but no plunger !!
I will now have to wait until Monday before I can contact them and it will obviously be at least Tuesday before I get the plunger...I am not a happy bunny, to say the least.

Is it possible to use this without the plunger or do I have no option but to wait ?

Thanks

Sandra

Flyingcheesetoastie

If I remember rightly this isn't a fifty fifty mix so you really are better using the plunger. I would still try and contact today as they might have classes on and be on the phones/email?

sandmor1

I called them at around 11am after I got the post but the voice mail was on

I will do as you suggest as they might give me an answer to whether I can use it without the plunger.

You are correct in the ratio..it is 2/1 not 1/1 as most are.

Sandra

Quote from: Flyingcheesetoastie on February 08, 2014, 03:08:54 PM
If I remember rightly this isn't a fifty fifty mix so you really are better using the plunger. I would still try and contact today as they might have classes on and be on the phones/email?