e6000

Started by sandmor1, February 06, 2014, 07:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

becky wills

It's really important not to use any type of mineral spirit to clean the glass or bail, isopropyl alcohol mixed 50/50 with water is best...Warm Glass sell Iso. Acetone is ok but not very user friendly, but NEVER meths or white spirit...in the event of nothing else available...white vinegar works! idf you use any kinf of soap. meths or white spitit you are adding oil which will stop the adhesive from sticking. You do need a plunger with the DP 460 - essential to get the correct ratio of hardener and adhesive.

marklaird

Hi Becky, nice to see you here. Excellent fusing and slumping course in January.

Sorry nothing much to add on glues, other than I use araldite to glue cabochons to cufflinks. So far so good.

Mark

sandmor1

Thank you Becky, The info about the meths and white spirit is very useful...So many recommend them particularly the meths and I have used it.

I will stop now and use the vinegar in the interim.

I can get the isopropyl alcohol from my son in law who is a pharmacist with his own business. It just means I have to wait for him to send it to me as he isn't local.

Sandra

Quote from: becky wills on February 09, 2014, 12:00:52 AM
It's really important not to use any type of mineral spirit to clean the glass or bail, isopropyl alcohol mixed 50/50 with water is best...Warm Glass sell Iso. Acetone is ok but not very user friendly, but NEVER meths or white spirit...in the event of nothing else available...white vinegar works! idf you use any kinf of soap. meths or white spitit you are adding oil which will stop the adhesive from sticking. You do need a plunger with the DP 460 - essential to get the correct ratio of hardener and adhesive.

james M knox

All,

I find I can Keep the glue (e6000) 'Usable' for longer by using some clingfilm to help seal the tube.

I squeeze the tube till the neck is filled and a small amount bellies above the neck, then lay a piece of clingfilm onto the glue, allow it to pull back in to the tube and then put the lid back on.

This helps to reduce the air in the neck of the tube that seems to encourage the glue to start setting in the tube and loose its stickiness.

Hope that makes some sense to you all.

JMKnox

Moira HFG

Meths isn't oily; it is mostly ethanol (alcohol) mixed with some methanol and dye to make it undrinkable.
It won't leave residues that affect glue.