Join me in a 40 bead challenge?

Started by JaySpangles, September 17, 2013, 11:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaySpangles

Have made my finished strand into a necklace, and I am pretty pleased with it.  I have lots of things it will go with, and I have been looking for something to use the Tierracast clock toggle on for ages.  It seems appropriate considering the time that has gone into this project.

Welcome Essex girl, you will see too that I was dimensionally challenged, but the finished result shows that even if they aren't all the same size they still look ok, but I definitely got more consistent towards the end. I did photograph them initially in the order that I made them, but rearranged them to make them up.

Now to consider my options for part 2....

AdobePhotoshopExpress_2013_10_14_12:34:24 by JaySpangles, on Flickr

helbels

Here's my next 8.  I aimed for a mix of precise and abstract.   Abstract I find harder, and interestingly, I'm finding it harder to come up with patterns on round beads, which is the opposite of what I thought would happen.

IMG_0092 by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr
They look so much nicer in the flesh, I'll have to see if I can get a pic in natural light at some point.   I already know the finished strand is going to make a stunning necklace.  Only 24 more to go lol  ;D

Glassy Lou

That's a lovely necklace. I'd definitely wear it. Not so sure I'd get so much wear out of the colours I've used, but we'll see...
I had another catch-up sesh today, so here's 25-34. Last six tomorrow hopefully.

40beadchallengeday4 by GlassyLou, on Flickr

Glassy Lou

Love that lime green!
Here's my last six. I'll post a pic of the full shebang on the other thread along with my findings.  :D

DSCN6568 by GlassyLou, on Flickr

Glassy Lou

Here's my finished strand:

DSCN6566 by GlassyLou, on Flickr

Colours used: CiM Lapis and Effetre Light Sky Blue (224)
Final strand measures 330mm and weighs 90g - that's roughly the same weight as 5 rods (the rods averaging 6mm x 340mm).

Things I've learned:
1.  It's better to start simple and build to something more complicated.
2.  My memory is awful. I was putting beads in the kiln to garage and forgetting what designs I'd put on them. Also, I'd have a great idea for the next pattern while I was still finishing a bead. I can't recall a single time I ended up remembering the idea long enough to actually execute it.
3.  I don't want to make anything in light sky blue or lapis for a very long time
4.  By the end I found that I was thinking so much about dot patterns that it was clouding my creativity. The opposite of what happened at the beginning of the challenge.
5.  I can just wing it with patterns, but I should have a plan of what I'm going to do with a bead before I start, otherwise it ends up being poo.
6.  I find it easier to decorate the right hand side of a bead than the left  ???

I had planned to swing from this challenge straight into #2, but I honestly can't face it. Maybe in a month or so...
Thanks ever so much for organising this one though - it's been a real eye-opener. I can stop having dreams about dot patterns now.

Lx

Sarah

I love your colours GlassyLou and very precise dots too!

I've made it to number 18! Number 1 is in the middle - number 18 is top left.

This is one of my favourite combinations because of the laciness of ivory & the reaction it has with dark periwinkle -but all of that means I'm struggling with the more complex patterns. There are a couple in here which haven't worked so I'm simplifying things a little. Bead numbers 4 and 10 are not destined for a long & happy life and remain only because of the challenge rules - I haven't made up my mind about 6 & 14 yet.

I don't have my usual camera gear set up at the moment so apologies for the photo :-[

40 bead challenge by Flame Force Five, on Flickr

Sarah
xxx

Kalorlo

Dragonfire Glass

Getting near the end and according to my count I only need a few more. Still a vast variation in size though.

27-39 by Dragonfire Glass, on Flickr

Moira HFG

Moira HFG

Here's my full set, I think I might have mixed up the last two lots:

40 beads, all 40 by sleepychamaeleon, on Flickr

It's true, you don't know what you can do until you try. My natural inclination is to trail rather than dot, so this has expanded my repertoire no end.

I've discovered that ivory over copper green is easier than the other way around, big dots of green just sink and vanish into the ivory. And I love the reactions; and the coppery red that comes up in a reducing flame.

Well I'd better think of some colours for part 2 then!

Moira  :)

Calico Cat

I finally got to start - no sooner had I chosen my two colours than I got an urgent order!

Having problems with sizing - in an effort to allow for the additional glass, I went a bit too small for beads 3 to 6 . . . .

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

jeannette

Corrr love that colour combo, Mark.
Lost my camera a.k.a him indoors has put it somewhere, but here's a few more.
Umm, generally not very happy with the dots again... size isn't too bad...

Day 5 by Jeannette Copeland, on Flickr

Kalorlo

Here are dots 29-33, I was using crescents this time. That little one is the smallest bead in the whole strand :p

sangemarie

I have finally managed to start my beads - 1-10 (left to right) completed over two torch sessions.

We
IMAG0244[1] by sangemarie, on Flickrll

What have I learnt so far: I need lots more practice, my dot placement is very hit and miss and my sizes are varying slightly although the first 5 were much more consistent.

Sandra :)

Hayley

While I am here, I'd like to share my Challenge One strand using Double Helix Kronos 2 and White:

Here is a work-in-progress picture of my Challenge Two beads along with a couple of focals utilizing the skills I learned:
Hayley

http://envisionsf.com
http://envisionsf.blogspot.com
silver glass eBooks, tutorials, murrine