Main Menu

Jellyfish and other boro

Started by Kalorlo, August 20, 2013, 02:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidglass

Heather, I just can't believe how well you have done with that White, it is just amazing. I love all the Jellies but Number 15 has my vote, everything about it. It looks like your holding a bottle of liquid with the jellyfish moving around in it, fascinating.

Kalorlo

Jelly 16. Momka stormy weather for the cap and small tentacles, Chinese white for the long ones. Backed in lustrous blue, which has a nice pearly look like this and behaves on the surface. I stretched this one out a bit too much, I think, and added the second tentacles too late, so the inner ones nearly terminate partway up. I think maybe I should intersperse the white tentacles with other ones, because the two look too separate.

I really like the stormy weather for caps - I flame struck it just enough so it went dark on all these before adding the clear.

A pair of mushroom-style jellies. I'm not getting these the shape I want them yet. I've done better caps before, but can't quite remember what the difference was in how I did it. I'm trying to do a matching pair for earrings, but can't make two the same size! So mainly I am showing these for the colour of the stormy weather in the caps.

Pat from Canvey

Jelly 16 is wonderful Heather.

Kalorlo

I had a go at a Halloween jellyfish, but my tentacles thinned out. This is Momka sunset orange, black rose, with pistachio (M) backing. (Does the M signify anything, by the way?) The orange works great in the cap, not so much in the small dots and the black rose is very transparent. So I guess for the next try I need something to poke inside those dots to make them more opaque. I've also got lemon yellow, sunshine yellow and pumpkin - maybe pumpkin would help? Or a red. Rust is a similar kind of shade, but I don't want them to go pink. I have obsidian as well, to maybe try with the black.

For the backing I'd tried using the black rose to make seaweed shapes before putting on the pistachio - didn't work so well, and the front lens makes some of it not visible. I might try again with very fine white stringer instead, and push it in from behind with a razor to give it some dimension.

liquidglass

Very aquatic looking Heather.
The Pistachio backing works really well. Your Sunset orange looks brilliant, (mine has never come out that dark). Love the idea of seaweed at the back.
I'm in the office and my mate Kip says "best yet, if these are for Halloween  what are you going to do for Christmas"

Kev

Kalorlo

LOL! Christmas would have the problem of encasable greens  :P
Hmm, unless I just did red and white... There's silver pine or the sparkly green for backing...

Kalorlo

Halloween jelly take 2. I used a whole load of things in the tentacles this time. I used obsidian as the black, which works much better. You can see it is blue-based, but it implodes well enough in tiny dots. I put Momka pumpkin right next to the sunset orange to make larger dots. The pumpkin has pretty much the same saturation as the sunset orange (but yellower), so on its own it is just as thin. I used NS caramel too - that's what is giving the light blue ghostly envelopes. You can see a couple of tentacles are orange and yellow with transparent brownish tips: for those I'd poked a dot of caramel inside them, so was right about the reaction. It works with the colours here, though.

The cap is sunset orange again, with a thin wrap of obsidian and some pumpkin dots around the rim.

For the backing, I used obsidian and did push it in with a razor. It does give it more dimensionality, though on the whole I think it would have looked better if the tentacles were oranger, as they'd have stood out more in front of it. The backing green is Momka guacamole this time. It's more of a lime green than the pistachio (it's also quite bubbly).

liquidglass

Oh Heather, they just get better and better, tentacles look brilliant and I still love that orange cap. All the colours work really well together.
Not sure if I prefer the Pistachio or the Pumpkin for the backing, they both suit.

garishglobes

Looking good  :)

You could use Northstar exp. green 5 over white as an encasable green. It comes out nice and strong.... and if you're looking to beef up the opaque red/orange dots, layer a transparent red over the opaque and pull to a stringer, maybe? 

Kalorlo

I'm still going through my Momka sampler before I buy any more colours! But yes, I hear people like the exp. green  ;)

Stringer doesn't work so well for these because the dots are so tiny, you just get the encasing colour mostly. At least with the diameter of stringer I use. So I have been poking one dot inside the other. I'd been thinking about things to put inside the orange, but a transparent red on the outside might be worth trying, ta.

sea-thistle

I love all of them, very beautiful!!

Kalorlo

Boro jelly 19, had a bad day all round here, with colour choice and shaping... The jellyfish is Momka exotic citrus and Chinese white - I was surprised it went so pink! Was expecting more yellows. There is more white in the background, so I shouldn't have put it in the tentacles too. The backing colour is the part I do like, it is Momka green flambé and has all sorts of colours in it. I've taken a shot of the back just to show how different it looks on the surface vs encased. I like! ('Scuse the bubbly scum).

Jelly 20, much better! Here the jellyfish is Momka silver flambé and the backing is American Beauty. The silver flambé seems a fairly similar kind of thing to the green - it has all sorts of muted colours in it.

Jelly 21. The jellyfish is Momka silver pine. I couldn't find anything about whether you could implode this colour, it being a green. I did find reference to encasing it ok, so decided to try and see. I have what appears to be a small amount of checking in the cental tentacles, so it looks like the answer is no. The cap is fine, so picking another tentacle colour to go with it should work. It's a pretty blue-tinged green - no problem keeping this for myself! The backing was the silver flambé, which changes colour quite a bit depending on the angle of the light. Unencased on the back it looks similar to the green flambé, with loads of reddish purple. Straight on in normal light you mostly see greens and blues with a little purple, and in very bright direct light some more purple is visible.

Steampunkglass

Loving the jellyfish, some great colour effects there!  ;D  ;D ;D
QuoteBut yes, I hear people like the exp. green   ;)
Oooohhh yes, although first few times when I first tried using it stubbornly wanted to stay blue, then when I tried to use it as a nice blue colour it striked to a lovely green  ::) ::) ::) I've used it for jellyfish and makes a nice cap on it's own. I'd think as it's not a very deep encasement you could probably get away with most opaque greens, I've had the odd one cause cracking or tiny bubbles but that's only if I've used a lot deep inside a marble. I use forest green for leaves on flower marbles and that seems (mostly) fine although sometimes it can leave a few extra tiny bubbles. I've heard that a rather well know marble maker uses a thin layer of yellow over blue or black to make canes of green in his implosions.....

Lotti

I really like 20 and 21, have had a go but my attempts were rubbish, must have another go!  I love exp green, have a lovely mushroom made with it and a marble with a couple of 'inside' swirls (not a great marble, but loved the colours). :)

Pat from Canvey

They just keep getting better and better Heather.