Main Menu

Jellyfish and other boro

Started by Kalorlo, August 20, 2013, 02:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalorlo

These two I used my new thinner pointier tungsten poke, but the main difference was in the amount of stretching I did to the tentacles afterwards: they were looking more or less the same as my previous one before I did that.

Jelly 9: this was NS light ruby with GA persimmon strike on top. This came out the same colour as the persimmon strike on its own, but stopped the tentacles washing out, which is handy. Backed with cobalt.

Jelly 10: cap is NS blue caramel - went beige and the beige was not budging! Tentacles are double amber purple. The pendant shape isn't as good because it fell off the punty and landed in my lap when I was shaping the bail and got singed bits of leather apron on it, so I had to pull some of the glass back off. I hadn't added a backing either as it takes me quite a long time to melt those in. The second pic shows the blue fumey part under the cap.

Skyblue

This is a really interesting thread ,I love the jellyfish pendants :)

Kalorlo

Jelly 11.

I've started with my Momka sample pack. This jelly is violet medley - the cap struck but the tentacles didn't. The backing is cloud, which is really pretty and also hard to photograph! The in-hand photo is most representative of looking at it head-on. Turning it about gets light peaches and blue-greens depending.

JaySpangles

liquidglass

Best yet Heather, I'm biased of course.  :D

Seriously they are all brilliant ;D ;D

Steampunkglass

ooo yes, I agree, that is the best yet!!!  ;D

Kalorlo

Thank you! New big oxycon = easier shaping  ;D

kerensky

Wow - loving Jelly 11 - really beautiful.

Pat from Canvey

Beautiful Heather. Have you tried adding a backing colour to make the tentacles stand out more? I'm thinking of course of an eventual simple diorama, not that I could achieve anything like that  ;)  ;)  ;)

Kalorlo

All the ones that aren't clear have a backing colour. Right now I don't have much idea of what any of the colours will come out looking like (apart from cobalt), so contrast between the tentacles and the backing is somewhat random!

Kalorlo

Here are jellies from the weekend.

12. Jellyfish is Momka Alaska Night, backing is Winter Sky. I love how this one came out! The Alaska Night has gone darker at the ends of the tentacles, where they are reheated to pull and twist them out, and is a great blue on the cap. Winter Sky is very well named, it's a chilly frosty blue. My sample was also very bubbly, but in this case that didn't matter, as the tiny trapped bubbles just add sparkle to the background.

13. Jellyfish is Momka purple thunder, backing is crystal blue. This one got pulled out a bit too much and had to be recondensed, so is all a bit squished. It should have had a larger cap. There's some purple in the cap, while the tentacles are that silver glass caramelly beige colour with hints of pink here and there. The crystal blue is a very pale blue, but still has enough presence not to look like clear. It was also a bit bubbly and I've got some silvery schmutz on the back - overheated or reduced. Again, in this application that doesn't matter so much as it adds some sparkle when viewed from the front.

(None of the colours changed in the kiln).

Pat from Canvey

These just keep getting better and better.

Kalorlo

Kevin of http://www.meltinglass.co.uk very kindly sent me some Chinese white to try out - I love it! No bubbling whatsoever and it stayed nice and dense even when very thin. Easy to pull good long stringers too.

Jelly 14 has Chinese white tentacles, and I had a go at Mary's little twistie wrap under the cap (cap should probably have been bigger, though - I wasn't sure how far down it would cover them). The cap is Momka almond nugget - really like the way it came out.

Jelly 15. I found an incompatibility here: the little tentacles are Chinese white dots poked down into Momka lustrous blue dots, and they have checked. (I'm sure that'll get old fast, but right now it is *fascinating* to see such tiny localised cracking! Don't get that in soft glass). I did search to see whether there was anything about lustrous blue not being suitable for implosions but didn't find it, so am assuming it is the white's fault. The longer tentacles are the other way around and seem to be fine - the blue only really shows through at the ends, though. I forgot which dot colour would end up inside the other - I had meant them to be like the little tentacles until I realised I'd done them the wrong way round. Just as well, really!

The cap was Momka silver iris on top with a wrap of Caribbean coral around the bottom. The silver iris was bubbly and stayed very transparent - don't think this was the best way of using it!

The backing is Momka green envy, which looks greener if you look at the back, but bluer when you look at it through the clear. I like it, it's a very good watery colour.

These are tiny mushroom-style jellies with tentacle cane that has layers of Chinese white and Alaska night. The Alaska night shows up better in the front one, where it has gone near black. Caps are Caribbean coral.

(This lot have only been through a soft glass annealing cycle thus far. I don't think I'll bother annealing the cracked one in case it gets worse, but will post again if any of the others strike differently).

Yellow friend

Gorgeous work Heather & lovely colours. The boro glass really lends itself to this subject matter & when the financial fairy smiles again I think I might give it a go. My daughter sent me a pendant from Hawaii that looks a lot like your jelly 10 but has a dark background - I love it :)

Shelia
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

Marcel