creative gallery archive 2013

Started by Pat from Canvey, February 04, 2013, 01:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat from Canvey

I had some off cuts from a fusing project, not yet completed so decided to use them on the grounds of waste not want not. Here they are lined up,
I originally thought I might fuse individual pieces for some sort of jewellery but suddenly thought of putting all the pieces together, This is the result.
It's about coaster size and I've cold worked and polished the edges. I'm pleased with the way it turned out given that I might have thrown away the pieces as unwanted scrap.
In case you are wondering what the project itself is, I had a block of glass I'd made some years ago sitting around doing nothing. I discovered that a local studio ( http://www.glassstudiosupplies.co.uk/ )   had a large ring saw for hire so took my block there and cut it up. Here are the pieces waiting for me to fuse. You never know, I might get around to it sometime.
Slab cut into 6mm strips,

Bumpy Beads

I made this picture from some of the ends of glass rods that I accumulated during my time making glass beads. Each of these 'shorts' will have a corresponding bead somewhere in the world!

Glass 'Shorts' Picture by Bumpy Beads, on Flickr
Heather

My Etsy Shop

Pat from Canvey

I wanted to try this so went ahead yesterday but nearly came a cropper when I started to add some Bullseye cane. I finally realised in time, and removed it all. What a pain. I was going for a sort of landscape effect. I used my SC2 so that determined the size of piece I made.

I haven't had time to fire polish the edges yet so took this photo of the back.

JanieD

Here is a pic of what I'm mostly doing metalwork wise at the moment - designing and making Fender Telecaster scratchplates (or pickguards as they're also known).

I cut them out of nickel silver, file, drill, transfer the image, etch and patinate. The design is an original, hand drawn and tweaked in Photoshop ( I really should learn to use Illustrator but old habits die hard!).

We are hoping to start a business doing this, getting them cut at a local waterjet cutting company and doing the etching and patinating at my workshop.

Scratchplate 1 by Frecklepie, on Flickr

Here is a pic of an earlier one from last year on a guitar my OH plays regularly. We have guitars all over the house! Fortunately I see them as art and not clutter.

2012-10-10 14.00.06 by Frecklepie, on Flickr

Jane

Pat from Canvey

I've been playing recently with a bit of crochet and became intrigued by hairpin lace crochet. There are lots of videos on YouTube so I tried a pattern from a tutorial describing how to make strips to join together to make a summer weight blouse. I've only tried, a couple of strips with different weights of yarn to see how they come out. For me, the best so far is a ( I think ) 3 ply cotton.

Please ignore the missed loop on the bottom right. I put it down to beginner error.
Does anyone else here do a bit of crochet?

Bumpy Beads

Now that I am no longer making beads I needed to find a use for the big jar of twisties that I had remaining. So, following on from my previous picture made from glass shorts, I made some small twistie pictures;

Here's a link to my earlier glass shorts picture if anyone is interested;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bumpybeads/8747581530/

Thanks for looking!
Heather

My Etsy Shop

Pat from Canvey

I made a bead, just not a glass one.

Pat from Canvey

The title says it all really. I couldn't think how to best display it so hung it over the back of an office chair in the end.

Pat from Canvey

Messing around with tin

Pat from Canvey

I decided to give this a try as I had lots of bits and pieces of Bullseye glass. I cut a heart from vermiculite board and kind of went overboard in filling it up with glass. I now have a glass heart paperweight. Will use much less glass in future.
top of heart and
bottom. It's about 95mm at the widest. It was a great help that I have an Inland flat lap and could then fire polish according to Bullseye schedules.

Pat from Canvey

This is only 72mm across,
In retrospect, I should have left out the frit or been more careful where I applied it.

Pat from Canvey

In what seems a lifetime ago. I used window glass and glass globs to make a football shaped lamp composed of, I think, hexagons of glass, copper foiled together. I was left with loads of glass triangles so, as you do, I glued them together using UV glue. I skewed the pieces to give the stack a twist.
It still sits on my kitchen window sill as a reminder of what's gone before.
I've now found a picture of the lamp,
I made the base too from clay slip and fired in my ceramic kiln.

Pat from Canvey

Made with layered cardboard, PVA glue, photos from a magazine and a water based clear varnish.

Despite the size, they are very, very light. The same method (I found it on YouTube ) can be used to make all sorts of pendants. For the cardboard, I used a sleeve from a microwave meal.

Pat from Canvey

I had a long enjoyable, at least for me, chats with Shirley, Collette and Essex Girl at the Newmarket Bead Fair yesterday. I mentioned that I was in the process of making a float glass heart with yellow float frit. I cold worked it a little when I got home and set it to firepolish overnight in my SC2. Because I was also doing a few effetre cabochons at the same time, I didn't want to take the top temperature too high so kept it at 745 deg c.to fire polish but realising that the float would require a higher temperature to become completely smooth.

Basically I made it because I had the bits of float hanging around and wanted to use them up. As you can see, the top is bumpy but has no sharp bits.

bob proulx

I have recently joined your forum to help me learn more about lampworking. My first love is glass fusing and even if I have owned my torch for seven years it was mostly used for embellishments for my fusing, I have recently learned how to make a round bead. The people hear have made me feel welcomed and I thank you all. I have posted lampwork pieces but I would like for some of my fusing work to be seen.

These pieces are from my Rare Earth Series, They all use recycled window glass:

I also work with Spectrum Glass.
Thanks for looking.
Bob