creative gallery archive 2013

Started by Pat from Canvey, February 04, 2013, 01:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat from Canvey

What you ask, as I did.
I went on a three hour local quick course on soutache work and decided it has definite possibilities. Lots of jewellery has been created with it. Here's my offering with lots of mistakes but I'm telling myself that's how you learn. I was rushing as I had to set off for Southampton in the afternoon.

Perhaps not the best thing to start with transparent small amber beads as the thread shows and the design is a little wonky. The backing is brown suede. I've bought some of the braid from Ebay ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOUTACHE-BRAID-3-MM-WIDE-LOVELY-COLOURS-GREAT-QUALITY-UK-STOCK-RUSSIA-BRAID-/140887419917?pt=UK_Thread_Floss_1&var=&hash=item20cd8b6c0d  ) as I was advised that her braid was a slightly better quality.

Pat from Canvey

I made another piece yesterday,

Lilley

I went on a course taught by Amanda Simmons learning how to fuse glass and then 'drop' it through a ring in the kiln to make vessels.  I thought you might like to see some I've made since.  Amanda was a fantastic teacher!

DSCF6270 by Lilley Glass Designs, on Flickr

DSCF6257 by Lilley Glass Designs, on Flickr

DSCF6284 by Lilley Glass Designs, on Flickr

Hope you enjoy.  Thanks for looking  ;D
Glass - lampworked, blown, kilncast or fused and slumped, it's all good!

sparrow

About a month ago, I had a play with a cider bottle, turning it into a bird feeder....somehow, this has morphed into a weekly project, so I thought I'd show it, in case anybody else fancies a play :)

Take-a-Bottle Project - Week 1 by Sabine Little, on Flickr

Take-a-Bottle Project - Week 2 by Sabine Little, on Flickr

Take-a-Bottle Project - Week 3 by Sabine Little, on Flickr

Take-a-Bottle Project - Week 4 by Sabine Little, on Flickr
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Pat from Canvey

Done with stainless streel id 3.2mm 0.81mm saw cut rings from Bead Sisters (rd2-32)
I found the rings a little more stiff than silver ones but sussed out that if I held the tools at a particular angle, it seemed to go easier.

Pat from Canvey

I went on a two hour local course to make a wire tree and here's the finished piece.

Just a bit of fun with friendly people.

anditsinthefish

I wasn't sure where to pop this, so mods please move it if I'm wrong :) So I had a glass blowing session with Anthony Wassell last week. As we aren't allowed to learn it was just have to design the items and he will blow them for us, I did help, hence the awful twist on my coloured piece.

I will just put a few pics but there are more on my blog :)

The first is a opaque blue with hydrangea frit from GlassTaffy.

DSC_1094 by Sarah Jane Walsh Designs, on Flickr

DSC_1096 by Sarah Jane Walsh Designs, on Flickr

The next is a clear with recycled colours in opaque yellow, transparent red and orange. This is the awful twist I did :P

DSC_1098 by Sarah Jane Walsh Designs, on Flickr

DSC_1102 by Sarah Jane Walsh Designs, on Flickr

And the final I played with the shape... everyone says it looks naughty but I will leave that up to you to decide ;) This is transparent indigo with emerald green shards.

DSC_1110 by Sarah Jane Walsh Designs, on Flickr

DSC_1111 by Sarah Jane Walsh Designs, on Flickr

Sorry for the hog. This are my first ones so let me know what you think as I have another two sessions and am looking to develop them. to put them in context... they are exploring the relation between lamp work and glassblowing. All work has been inspired by exotic flowers both in colour and shape. I will also be creating a range of lamp worked rings using the same shapes and colours.

Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

Emma @ Tuffnell Glass

I have been wet felting since before Christmas to make gifts for people but recently I thought I would try needle felting. Turns out I'm not bad at it  ;D
Here's what I have made to far. The Owls are proving very popular  :)

Pandanimal

During all this cold weather it has been more fun to get the log burner lit and curl up on the arm chair than sit in a draft and use my torch. So I found myself a lap tray, my little box of watercolours and my packet of black ink pens and made some bright fresh little pics for cards. Should cheer anyone up.

DSCF9723 by Pandanimal, on Flickr

DSCF9712 by Pandanimal, on Flickr

DSCF9744 by Pandanimal, on Flickr

saffie

Hey guys long time no see and many many new people I dont know so well. I do lurk a lot still drooling over the loveliness here and thought you might like a little look at what I make

IMG_1648 by Samantha Halliwell, on Flickr

The other side

IMG_1646 by Samantha Halliwell, on Flickr
only about half way through with this one at the moment. I have managed to free motion without sewing my finger this time (yes that did hurt a lot LOL)
thank for looking
Sam xx

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Summer has definitely arrived for our pillars  ;D ;D ;D

Bikinis by Rockin' Beads, on Flickr

bikini by Rockin' Beads, on Flickr

Pat from Canvey

At the end of last week, I went on a three day course with Nathan Sandberg at Creative Glass in Rochester, Kent. I commuted each day and was totally knackered on Saturday night at the end. However, the course was excellent and the 9 other people very friendly. I learned how to set up the vitrigraph kiln and pull canes from it and also some coldworking using table and ring saws and a large flat lap. Here's my final piece,

and the same piece with light going through it,

We split up into 5 pairs of two persons and most of the canes used in my piece were from one pull of my and my partner Marie's pot. The purple ones and those on the left are from the first day's pull where we all shared pieces of cane from a few pulls.On the third day, the pots we'd set up and left to fire overnight were pulled so that we've each come home with about 20 foot of cane to play with. We'd set up our pot with mostly clear one inch chunks of Bullseye glass sprinkled with pale green transparent large frit, pale blue opaque large frit and some one inch cm squares of a lime green sheet I'd cut up at home overnight.
Here's mine and Marie's canes cooling on the floor. Some of the other pairs used the one inch chunks of colour with clear and the variety of final canes was amazing as were the fused pieces each of us took home.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. We also came away with otes on the different firing schedules used to make the cubes of glass and to fire the final pieces.
Forgot to say it's 16cm by 11.5 cm

Pat from Canvey

I had a go at this. It's a bit rough but on the whole I'm pleased with my first try.

Pat from Canvey

The title says it all really. I keep wanting to try out things and this is one of them,

Did it while watching the snooker this afternoon. The cabochon used to be a dichro bead which started to develop a crack at one end. I slumped it at 785 deg c in my Paragon SC2 to get rid of the crack.