MONTHLY COLOUR CHALLENGE - MAY/JUNE 2012 WINNER NOW UP!!!

Started by Kaz, May 19, 2012, 10:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilley

Lovely, lovely beads people!  I haven't had any time to torch recently but seeing all these makes me feel I need to find the time  :)
Glass - lampworked, blown, kilncast or fused and slumped, it's all good!

Ant

Sadly the raku on this heart didn't produce the most amazing colours but, inspite of that, I quite like the colour combination and have just sent this bead off to Shirl's bead swap.  The base glass is Larkspur.

Skyblue

Ciel I love those beads !! and Lilley that heart is really pretty  :)

Magpie

My final entry. I did what everyone has suggested, I blew on it, I reduced it (didn't know it was meant to reduce as well as strike), then encased it (I need to encase to magnify all those gorgeous colours).....

And I got GREY!!!!!!!

IMGP2239 by HelenPetersBeads, on Flickr

I think I'll stick to just using it on the outside of the bead.

Kaz

Don't reduce! It just goes metallic grey? It's a striker - heat, cool, heat, cool and so on!
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Magpie

Yeah, but doing that all I get is pastel shades, I wanted something darker, more like I get without encasing, so I thought I'd try. Though I could make a few more and put them on Ebay as '50 shades of grey'. ::) ::)  :D :D

Kaz

I am adding these here because I wanted to show what Diane Cook has done with iris orange - no tricks just striking and encasing and to enter her in the draw!!!

Saturn set by dilunah, on Flickr
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Kalorlo

Quote from: Magpie on June 27, 2012, 07:53:01 PM
Yeah, but doing that all I get is pastel shades, I wanted something darker, more like I get without encasing, so I thought I'd try. Though I could make a few more and put them on Ebay as '50 shades of grey'. ::) ::)  :D :D

Have you tried encasing at the first strike, when they're dark brown? Might get brighter colours that way?

Those beads by Diane are lovely.

dinah46

Look what happens when my back is turned ::)
Thanks Kaz

helenfc

Wow Diane, they are amazing!! Having totally missed this thread, I'll put in some old ones, if it doesn't count don't enter me in the draw Kaz x

Striking Raku by helenfchalmers, on Flickr

Magpie

Quote from: Kalorlo on June 27, 2012, 10:45:37 PM
Quote from: Magpie on June 27, 2012, 07:53:01 PM

Have you tried encasing at the first strike, when they're dark brown? Might get brighter colours that way?

Those beads by Diane are lovely.

Yep, they're dark brown when I encase and pastel colours when they come out of the kiln. But the bit that sticks out the end of the encasing if I don't get all the way to the mandrel comes out dark brown. Maybe I should play with different clears to see if that makes a difference.

Donna@Rockin' Beads

MadelineBunyan

I have a last minute one too, my new bird design in raku.

Bird Earrings by madelinebunyan, on Flickr

Donna@Rockin' Beads

MadelineBunyan

Thanks Donna  ;D

I love all the different effects everyone is getting out of this glass!

particularly like Lotti's spotty tube and the Colours Tina got out of it on the ginger!
and Helens discs, and the encased ones (I dont do well encasing it! dont think it likes me!)
Donna I dont know how you managed to get such pretty blues out of it, I usually just manage the odd streak of blue amid brown beige!

therefore I sculpt in it, things that don't matter if they come out brown, like bunnies, and now birdies!