Main Menu

Sterling silver wire

Started by marshmaiden, February 24, 2012, 08:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshmaiden

Hope nobody minds me asking for help with this. I have been asked to make a heart for a 25th wedding anniversary for a gift for his wife. He wants the heart to have 25 in/on it. I thought about stringer but my skill isnt enough for that. I want to know if i use a thick enough guage sterling silver wire, is it possible to make two tiny silver wire numbers and make a heart core then warm it and attach the two numbers and then encase it. Would the glass crack if i put it straight in the kiln. Is there a better way sorry on a borrowed laptop cant find a question mark. i would be so grateful for any help with this. thanks.

squirsygirl

I think it might go black, esp if you brush it with the flame.

How about 'stamping' the 25 into it?  You could use stainless steel wire to make the stamp...

Kirsty

spexy

If it doesn't have to be glass, you can buy small silver numbers from cake decorations that look great on cards.

mizgeorge

Copper or fine silver would be OK. Not sterling, unless you want it to be black!

What about a decal - you could have a custom one to look exactly as you want:
http://chameleondesigns.co.uk/transferkits.html

garishglobes

You could use a gold or silver lustre to write/paint on, after making the heart? The lustre isn't cheap, though on the plus side it'll do more than just the one bead.