Clear glass for encasing

Started by ChrissieBeads, February 10, 2012, 07:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrissieBeads

I'm working on a hot head torch, and really struggling with clear glass. I bought some from Tuffnells before I knew that there were really differences so I'm afraid I'm not sure wheat it is, but the rods are pretty thick.  I'm having so much trouble getting it soft enough to work with... When encasing I either have to get the bead so hot that the base bead is getting hot and spoiling, or I'm having to 'force' the clear on and the bead release breaks free... Just wondered if I'm doing something wrong... Would it work better if I pulled it all into stringers? Or should I try another type? And if so, what would people recommend?   ??? ??? :-\ :-\

Many thanks for any thoughts

Chrissie  :)

Shirley

I found the thick stringer method of encasing quite effective when using a hothead. You might also want to try linear encasing - heat a smallish blob of clear and push it across the surface of the bead, then repeat until you have covered the whole bead.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Helen G

I use a LOT of clear and 006 is my every day one, it is reasonably runny too  ;)

flowerjasper

006 for me too,
if you get the thinner rods you can do as shirley recommends.
If you hold the bead just out of the flame and the rod of clear in the flame then the rod melts but the base bead stays firm.

Its great to learn/perfect encasing on a hot head.
sandy

ScarletLeonard

Sounds like you have just bought the 10mm rods of effetre. they aren't going far on the HH, but the thinner rods will work a lot better.
Clear is hard work on the HH though, I found the Reichenbach clear the easiest to melt on the HH and it isn't too bad a clear but effetre 006 does have better clarity.

jammie

I found the thick rods really difficult on the hothead too, again 006 thinner rods were fine.  :)

dangerousbead

I got some of the really thick stuff by mistake too. It's not very good for encasing unless you pull into stringer. I pull it into thick stringer and use as a base but it takes forever on the hot head. 006 is so much easier.

MyPrecious

I can work with any clear available, but my current one is the Effetre 006 as well. Remember to keep your base bead out of the flame and the clear rod in the flame. :)
Kathy

My website

★★Terri★★

I bought a load of Lauscha soft clear glass (the special recipe one ???)it is a thick rod - but melts like a dream on a hot head, never goes scummy etc.  I got it from Ray Skene a while back and will be needing more soon.  Does anyone know who else stocks it?

Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr)

I got some Lauscha clear from Heather ( Kalorlo).
Pris
My Website http://www.dancingwithglass.co.uk  My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/princesspeggy01
My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DancingwithglassLampwork

ChrissieBeads

Thanks everyone.  As soon as pay day rolls around, I will get something different. It's nice to know it's not just me being useless, anyway!

Kalorlo

Am late here, but yes, I have the Lauscha soft clear in 6-8mm diameter.