What other crafts would you like to learn ?

Started by Les, July 11, 2011, 09:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat from Canvey

Another vote for the Old Kennels at Dunkeswell. I've done lampworking with Kate Drew Wilkinson there and stayed at a nearby campsite in my little tent.

DI

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on July 11, 2011, 08:23:28 PM
Having lived longer than most of you. I've already done most of the things already mentioned but not done welding. Am doing more silversmithing in the Autumn at the Rochford local college.

Dave could teach you some welding on the side if you come up for a class - He he  ;D

DI

Wow - nearly everyone wants to do glass blowing! - It's such a buzz!
I keep trying to talk Dave into letting me have a furnace on the loading bay but so far it's been a firm NO!
Maybe just a little glory hole then - wheeedle - NO!
I'll keep trying  :D

Steampunkglass

Quote from: DI on December 12, 2012, 12:05:31 PM
Wow - nearly everyone wants to do glass blowing! - It's such a buzz!
I keep trying to talk Dave into letting me have a furnace on the loading bay but so far it's been a firm NO!
Maybe just a little glory hole then - wheeedle - NO!
I'll keep trying  :D
;D ;D ;D Keep trying, I am sure he'll give in eventually. I think Richard Golding was/is doing a course on 'build your own glass-blowing furnace & gloryhole' which looked interesting. All you need is an old oildrum and a gas burner, and a lot of kiln bricks  ;)

Margram

Silversmithing here as well :). Don't think I have enough puff for glass blowing! :D
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Enchanted Cobwebs

Since I was old enough to pinch a pair of scissors I have been making stuff, made my first dress for my sindy doll when I was 6 and have not looked back since. Cant imagine life not being able to do things

I'd love to do everything really but casting, proper stone setting with prongs and would love to have a go at upholstery (have I spelt that right?) are top of my list today. I Love doing up old stuff and being able to confidently tackle buttoned furniture would be amaing...... Anyone offering tuition?

Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

nete

There's not so many I haven't dabbled in but I'd be up for glassblowing and silversmithing if I could afford the silver. Of all the things I've tried working with glass is probably the most exciting and absorbing craft I've ever done. I used to have craft shop constipation (couldn't pass one!) but that doesn't happen any more I'm cured thanks to lampwork! ;D ;D
Nete

Gordon

I fancy silversmithing too, I've already booked myself onto a 10 week beginners night class starting January 7th, I can feel another lot of expensive things I going to want comming on, January is the worst time to want new things as christmas is so far away !!!!

Glyn Burton

What an interesting post. I am very lucky as I teach 3 days per week at an art school so during a term I will be involved with:
Ceramics
Textiles including felt
Printmaking
Sculpture
Wood turning
Furniture making
Leaded glass
Lampworking
Glass casting
Jewellery
Silversmithing
And any other activities the students can dream up, I don't profess to be an expert in all of these areas but I normally know more than the student which helps.
For the next 3 days I work in my glass studio, lamping, casting, fusing ect. I am hoping to set up with my friend a glassblowing furnace in 2013 if we get planning permission.
Yes I know that I am very very lucky to get to play all the time.

Nicknack

Quote from: Glyn Burton on December 14, 2012, 10:40:55 AM
What an interesting post. I am very lucky as I teach 3 days per week at an art school so during a term I will be involved with:
Ceramics
Textiles including felt
Printmaking
Sculpture
Wood turning
Furniture making
Leaded glass
Lampworking
Glass casting
Jewellery
Silversmithing
And any other activities the students can dream up, I don't profess to be an expert in all of these areas but I normally know more than the student which helps.
For the next 3 days I work in my glass studio, lamping, casting, fusing ect. I am hoping to set up with my friend a glassblowing furnace in 2013 if we get planning permission.
Yes I know that I am very very lucky to get to play all the time.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!  Dream job!!!!!!!! :D :D

Nick

Lynnybobs

Very envious that really is dream job !!!
I would love to learn silversmithing and anything textile related - machine embroidery, felting and upholstery are the ones I'd like to try first if ever time and funds allow me to do anything else. Also cake decorating - I've done a couple of special birthday cakes and am decorating my own wedding cake but would be nice to have some proper tuition.
Lynnybobs
----x----

SilverGems89

I am currently dabbling with some polymer clay  ::)

Charli

Quote from: Nicknack on December 09, 2012, 11:04:06 PM

Charli, The Old Kennels at Dunkeswell have a 2 day stone carving course on 13th and 14th June 2013 - and it's to make ............a gargoyle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have a friend who went this year and made a Green Man.  She'd never done it before, but it's really good :D  It's only 20 minutes away from me, and it's where I had my first taste of lampworking ;D.  It's a lovely place, and Tracey makes everyone very welcome.

Nick

Thats so awesome! I might have accidentally booked it.  now to tell the other half where we're going on holiday this year! Thanks for letting me know!

Nicknack

Quote from: Charli on December 15, 2012, 04:19:32 PM
Quote from: Nicknack on December 09, 2012, 11:04:06 PM

Charli, The Old Kennels at Dunkeswell have a 2 day stone carving course on 13th and 14th June 2013 - and it's to make ............a gargoyle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have a friend who went this year and made a Green Man.  She'd never done it before, but it's really good :D  It's only 20 minutes away from me, and it's where I had my first taste of lampworking ;D.  It's a lovely place, and Tracey makes everyone very welcome.

Nick

Thats so awesome! I might have accidentally booked it.  now to tell the other half where we're going on holiday this year! Thanks for letting me know!

That's brilliant!!!!!!!  You're very welcome.  You're also welcome to come for tea or something if you're down here for more than the 2 days, I'm only 20 minutes away.

Nick