What other crafts would you like to learn ?

Started by Les, July 11, 2011, 09:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beady Bean

Pottery, silversmithing, glass blowing...

Must try and stick to one thing at a time and produce some lovely lampwork first!!
::)  ;D
Ruth x

Amber

Glass blowing, silversmithing (done a bit, but still loads to learn!), polymer clay.  :)

theknittinggoddess

Glass fusing, stained glass - am getting glass addicted.

If anyone would like to do some spinning or dyeing then give me a shout - there are dye post to be played with in the workshop most days.

jammie

Would love too but am   in Scotland and cant really travel just now sadly.  :)

Pat from Canvey

Having lived longer than most of you. I've already done most of the things already mentioned but not done welding. Am doing more silversmithing in the Autumn at the Rochford local college.

lorrainelee

I'm doing a feltmaking session at Fibre East on the 23rd - should be good, not tried feltmaking before!

Lorraine

Jay9

Quote from: cbeadies on July 11, 2011, 06:31:39 PM
Quote from: Blue Box Studio on July 11, 2011, 05:50:49 PM
I'd like to try willow weaving as well - we should go on a course Jill, think they do them at the Willow centre near Taunton but looks like the no more courses this year - http://www.englishwillowbaskets.co.uk/workshop.htm#Supports

:)That's a good idea! I had not heard of that centre. I guess the courses are in the spring when the willow is growing or something.

Why not try Musgrove Willow?  I did a one day bsket making workshop and loved it.  Not sure my hands could cope long term but the whole 'weaving' thing was great. 

http://www.musgrovewillows.co.uk/index.php?&dx=1&ob=3&rpn=courses&sid=5c3ccec1c6b1f061c72863ef6873c23d
Janine  xx

"You only retire when you stop doing something you don't like and start doing something you do"

Krysia@No98

I would like to design stuff for a black smith to make, I don't think I'm strong enough to bash the metal about.  (that was the problem when I tried stone masonry, wrists hurt with in ten minutes  ::) )

Started ceramics in Jan, Love it.

Stained glass

cabinet maker (yeah I know - very unlikely!)

I guess that I made a promise to myself a few years ago that I wasn't going to wish to do things and not do something about trying to do them.  (It's very freeing)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Les

Quote from: Jay9 on July 11, 2011, 09:39:48 PM
I'd like to try willow weaving as well - we should go on a course Jill, think they do them at the Willow centre near Taunton but looks like the no more courses this year - http://www.englishwillowbaskets.co.uk/workshop.htm#Supports

:)That's a good idea! I had not heard of that centre. I guess the courses are in the spring when the willow is growing or something.

Why not try Musgrove Willow?  I did a one day bsket making workshop and loved it.  Not sure my hands could cope long term but the whole 'weaving' thing was great. 

http://www.musgrovewillows.co.uk/index.php?&dx=1&ob=3&rpn=courses&sid=5c3ccec1c6b1f061c72863ef6873c23d

I've always fancied a go at willow weaving too :)

Ant

Anything arty crafty for me but at the moment, chain maille and silver-smithing are next on the list.  I did ceramics at Art College and would quite like to explore that further too, oooooooh and photography if that counts.

hollergrafik

Quote from: theknittinggoddess on July 11, 2011, 07:35:40 PM
Glass fusing, stained glass - am getting glass addicted.

If anyone would like to do some spinning or dyeing then give me a shout - there are dye post to be played with in the workshop most days.
I would love a go at that Joy, does it need a lot of equipment?

Kalorlo

Have to get off my arse with the silversmithing, here!

Other things I want to do... glassblowing, clay sculpture, mosaic. Woodwork, I want to be able to make functional cabinets and the like. Welding does sound kinda fun too  ;D

I had a go with wickerwork once. I think it was through school - there was a class on at the museum. It wasn't dense sculptures, more like making a curved 3D framework that we added tissue paper panels to. I think they might have been big Christmas decorations to hang from the museum ceiling.

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Jay9 on July 11, 2011, 09:39:48 PM

There's a willow coffin course?  Now either you have to schedule a one way trip to Switzerland or have somewhere to hide that in your house.  Not sure DH would see the funny side if I walked through the front door shouting 'come and see what I made today!'.  It's hardly PMC jewellery.  The garden course is 10 September, I'm still away on holiday :( Perhaps they'll have more dates.  Will keep watching this site, thanks.

Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

SRJ

Basket weaving....sounds good to me.  Musgrove Willow seem to have lots of beginners courses with space in October and November........
Not too far away either!

Sue

elburnzo

basket weaving is really quite simple to learn, theres some fantastic youtube video tutorials! i taught myself to weave baskets a couple of years ago, it can be hard on the hands but very therapeutic! and at the end of it u have somewhere to store all your crafty bits :P