A Kilncare SC2?

Started by Lee - Kilncare, June 25, 2011, 10:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee - Kilncare

Now then, here's a thought.

Let's say, just for talkings sake, that we made a SC2 equivalent. You know, same sort of thing, just as good etc, but obviously put together in our factory in Stoke.

And let's say, just for talkings sake, we did it at a similar price.

So, let's say, just for talkings sake, that there suddenly appeared a British built version of the much loved SC2. A version that came with our "legendary  ;D" customer service and back up.

Anyone interested?

Now my question is this and it is a serious one.

If something as pie in the sky as this is, was to actually happen, just for talkings sake  ;D, what would you lot be prepared to pay for it???????

So please be honest here or there is no point to this thread.
Would price be everything and it doesn't matter too much where it comes from, which means you would buy the cheapest?
Would you be happy to pay say, £50 more for one of ours?

Like I say, be honest so I can gauge opinion.
No offence will be taken as I would much prefer to know the honest truth.
Just for talkings sake of course. ;)

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Jolene

I miss my SC2, as much as I love my Maxine, I'd really like to have an SC2 back in my studio so that I can do some experimental fusing too. At this time price would be the deciding factor, investing in a second kiln would be a big deal financially.

Just for talkings sake - would it be available in PINK?

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I think I may well have been happy to pay a little extra for a UK SC2 type kiln.
However, I already have an SC2 and my next kiln is going to be bigger and pink, for the shop (I'll be onto you in a few months about that though :)).
Great idea, good luck.
I agree that pink would be a very good selling point for any kiln.

Lee - Kilncare

Well seeing as we are the fore runners of the pink kiln, an idea so magnificent of mine  ;D (well Red Hot Sals actually :-*) that it is already been copied.
We should have patented it Sal >:(.

I would think, just for talkings sake, that if this happened that there  would also be a pink one. Who knows?

TWITTER @kilncare
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Lotti

I think I would be happier too to buy one of yours even for a little bit more money.  Don't know if you have seen my post about kilns, but much as I love my bead cube it is too small for what I am doing these days, so am in a quandry about what to do next, I really want to get a kiln from you, but the Maxi is soo much more to pay out and I will have to do alot of saving.  I think an SC2 might be big enough for me (I haven't really seen one TBH), but I do love your service and support hence my problem.  I think it would be a great idea to have a mid range size kiln like this, I am not really bothered about it being pink, but can see it would be selling point. :) PS, may still go for a maxi in the end once I have raided a few banks, as this then should last me a good long time - size wise I mean. :) :)

julieHB

I think you need to specify what you mean by "SC2 equivalent", Lee, for all those people who don't know the various kilns. I assume it has to do with internal space (just that little bit bigger than the bead cube), and also the working temperature range.

When that is said, I believe you have to be competitive on price for an equivalent product. I have had a SC2 now for 6-7 years, and the one time I needed some help the service was very good, and quick.  :) This is not meant negative - the kiln is by far the most expensive equipment, and one that people struggle to finance, so it's only natural that people will compare prices and go for the cheapest, if otherwise they are the same. The SC2 has been around for a long time, and has proven itself to be a very good and reliable kiln, and you'd have to give a good deal if you are to nudge into that niche.

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Lee - Kilncare

Excellent post Julie and everything you say has already gone through my mind.

The SC2, as I have said on many occasions, really has it tied up and that couldn't be achieved if it was a bad kiln, it certainly isn't.

But, I am just guaging opinion on the viability of us joining that market.

I would be a fool to believe I could dislodge the mighty SC2, I don't think anything will. However, there should always be an alternative I believe.

TWITTER @kilncare

julieHB

Having said the above, personally I would love to buy British made - and not only in name, but actually produced in the UK. At the moment, for someone who meddles with a bit of small-piece fusing and silver clay as well as beadmaking, there isn't an alternative to the SC2 here (the bead cube is just a tad small). For me the British-made is the big selling point, as well as technical specifications, and of course the after-care. The fact that it could be had in pink wouldn't sway me much, though, but it is still a nice, quirky feature that may appeal to many :D
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

MadelineBunyan

for £50 or so more, made in UK, with the excellent customer service I keep seeing on here?

well, the only problem with that is that I already own an sc2!

a kiln that is in between a beadcube and a maxi would be a fabulous addition to the range. choice for consumers can only be a good thing.

I agree with Julie, the big selling point would be the made in UK and customer service. pink doesnt bother me (however if purple were to be involved...)

Lush!

Well now, I was about to say the same as Madeline but I was kinda thinking lime green ....  ;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Lee - Kilncare

Quote from: Lush! on June 25, 2011, 11:17:32 AM
Well now, I was about to say the same as Madeline but I was kinda thinking lime green ....  ;D
Behave Jules  ;D

TWITTER @kilncare

Lush!

Behave?  As the only owner of a hybrid Maxi (I mean really, a blue kiln with pink doors?  really?) I think a lime green version would fit right in  ;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: MadelineBunyan on June 25, 2011, 11:09:41 AM
for £50 or so more, made in UK, with the excellent customer service I keep seeing on here?

well, the only problem with that is that I already own an sc2!

a kiln that is in between a beadcube and a maxi would be a fabulous addition to the range. choice for consumers can only be a good thing.

I agree with Julie, the big selling point would be the made in UK and customer service. pink doesnt bother me (however if purple were to be involved...)

Purple .... now we're talking.  I bought an SC2 because of the size, I couldn't fit a Maxi into my shedio, else I would have bought British.  I agree with Madeline, too late for me now but I would be tempted otherwise.

Or you could offer a respray service for SC2 owners?
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Lee - Kilncare

Quote from: Lush! on June 25, 2011, 11:23:40 AM
Behave?  As the only owner of a hybrid Maxi (I mean really, a blue kiln with pink doors?  really?) I think a lime green version would fit right in  ;D
Shhhh or everryone will want one ;D ;D ;D ;D

TWITTER @kilncare

Lee - Kilncare

[/quote]
Or you could offer a respray service for SC2 owners?
[/quote]
On a serious note, we have looked into this but as all our stuff is powder coated then baked in an oven it wont "take" on the standard spray paint of the SC2.....don't think the controller would be too happy at being baked at 220c either ;D ;D ;D ;D

TWITTER @kilncare