A Kilncare SC2?

Started by Lee - Kilncare, June 25, 2011, 10:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barley

As someone who doesn't yet have a kiln - but would certainly like one - I think this sounds great.  I like the bead cube, but am worried that I'll find it too small after not too long and it's too expensive to buy with short term use in mind.  The maxi - although i think it looks fab and would love one - is much too big for my available space, and because of this i have also been looking at the SC2.  A british alternative would be excellent - would always rather buy british if possible - but as already mentioned, price really is going to be a large factor in the decision.

Krysia@No98

Oi!!  I asked for green first.  Please Lee can you do a pale Olive green, that would go with my blinds (happy to send a bit of fabric for you to sample  ;) )

I have as SC2.  So far it has been fine.  Had it for nearly 2 years.  I am thinking about a second kiln.  What I would like is something that has a capacity/footprint three or four times the size of the SC2 with a bead door and has the same functionality.  I am getting into fussing and ceramics at college.  So if I was to have only the one kiln I would like it to be multifunctional, but as a second kiln then only for those two things.  I went for the SC2 because i felt that if I wanted to sell it on then I would have a much larger group of people that I could sell it on too.

If I was out looking for an SC2/equivalent price would be a very important factor, I managed to get 5% off when I got my sc2.  I know that there are other places where if you get a kiln from them they automatically knock 10% of all their other products.

When I get another kiln I would be very surprised if it was not a kiln care kiln.

We have two lovely big flat bed kilns at Hatfield university and they are both from you.  If you talk to my tutor about buying a kiln she just says to get it from you, no debate not discussion, your the best.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

theknittinggoddess

I'd have preferred to pay £50 more than the SC2 price to have a British kiln with guaranteed support (although I got fab support from you anyway when my kiln had a bit of a rough time getting to me)

I knew that I wanted to have a go at fusing and wanted a bit more space than the bead cube gave me - otherwise I would have loved to buy my kiln from you - no matter what colour.

laurat

I am not quite sure about all the features on a bead kiln as I have the hobby fuser.

But, I was recommended to buy my kiln from the lady who I went to for fusing lessons.There was no debate with her when I said I was looking at another brand she told me that Kilncare are the way forward.

I sent an email to you guys on a friday evening along with another one to another cmpany about a different kiln and got a reply (can't remember if it was a phone call or email now) the following morning. Nothing was too much trouble, even my Dad contanst questioning didn't seem to phase you!!

The other kiln was alot cheaper but the coustomer care was what drew us to buying a more expensive kiln.

ejralph

Something that stopped me considering your kilns was that the bead cube seemed to small, the maxi just too big.

I think if you had something half-way inbetween, it would prove popular. Especially in lime green - we don't all like pink yunno!

Would I pay 50 more than the paragon equivelent? Not sure to be honest. I think it would come down to the design and if it seemed more logical. If the controller was separate from the kiln, maybe yes - since that makes sense to me to not have the controller getting hot all the time.

Would the great cust service angle swing it for me? Again, I am not sure. My personal experience of service from paragos has been excellent too anytime I needed their help or advice. But it stands to reason that a company in the UK could well be a lot more convenience should anything go wrong.

A kiln that is easy to fix should anything go wrong would also rate highly. Where you can buy the parts and do the repairs yourself should the relay etc conk out. I love that about my caldera - everything is easy to repair.

Emma

Sarah

Hi Lee

I started with an SC2 because it offered great flexibility. I could use it for small fusing, silver clay & bead annealing. If you're looking to compete than I think that's what you have to offer. I had a bead door which did cause problems with uneven fusing so if you could solve that then I think you could have a winner on your hands.

Like Emma I had excellent service when my SC2 had a problem. I've also had excellent service from you when replacing my SC2 with my Maxi and hobbyfuser.

As to price I will always pay more for quality. But the SC2 is a high quality kiln in my experience which is usually backed up with good service so I think you may need to price match or show yours is demonstrably better to compete.

Hope that helpls

Sarah
xxx

Beady Bean

Quote from: Barley on June 25, 2011, 06:57:34 PM
As someone who doesn't yet have a kiln - but would certainly like one - I think this sounds great.  I like the bead cube, but am worried that I'll find it too small after not too long and it's too expensive to buy with short term use in mind.  The maxi - although i think it looks fab and would love one - is much too big for my available space, and because of this i have also been looking at the SC2.  A british alternative would be excellent - would always rather buy british if possible - but as already mentioned, price really is going to be a large factor in the decision.
Ditto!! ;) Would be very interested in a British SC2 - but price is important.
Ruth x

bluefairy

Ditto again - I would be very interested in a pink mini maxi  ;D  if the price and specification were right
Helen xx

My Etsy     My Facebook     My Folksy

Steampunkglass

I too would certianly have to weigh up the pros vs the extra expense. Having said that I was one of the people slightly gutted when the maxi was launched a few months after I got a Parago blue bird! The brick rather than fibre construction may well have saved me money as I  understand that uses less energy to keep it at temperature. If a Kilncare version of the SC2 had money saving features like that I'm sure it might help make people choose yours

ScarletLeonard

You know what Glenn I never thought of the electricity costs between different types of kilns.

Flippopotamus

From a fusing point of view the SC2 is just a teensy bit frustratingly small!  (Everyone says you'll always want a bigger kiln eventually, but I wanted a bigger one after about a day!)  If you want to make a basic set of 4 coasters you need to do 4 firings.  If you could push the dimensions just a little so the shelf was 21x21 or 22x22 then you could fire a set of 4 coasters at once, and make this one of its selling points (and thus justify the extra £50 or so!)...

And can I have my kiln in paisley please??? ;D

Krysia@No98

Quote from: Flippopotamus on June 27, 2011, 06:15:08 PM
If you could push the dimensions just a little so the shelf was 21x21 or 22x22

Dear Lee

Please can you make a kiln with similar capacity to the tardis, and with a bead door and maybe a viewing window.

Could you make it glass (beads, slumping/fusing), Ceramics, metal clay and polymer clay compatible that would be much appreciated.

Oh and if you could make that as energy efficient as possible that would be great.

Also available in Green (lime and olive), purple, paisley and tartan  ;)

Yours with appreciation in advance

:-*  ;)  ::)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Krysia on June 28, 2011, 11:06:32 AM
Quote from: Flippopotamus on June 27, 2011, 06:15:08 PM
If you could push the dimensions just a little so the shelf was 21x21 or 22x22

Dear Lee

Please can you make a kiln with similar capacity to the tardis, and with a bead door and maybe a viewing window.

Could you make it glass (beads, slumping/fusing), Ceramics, metal clay and polymer clay compatible that would be much appreciated.

Oh and if you could make that as energy efficient as possible that would be great.

Also available in Green (lime and olive), purple, paisley and tartan  ;)

Yours with appreciation in advance

:-*  ;)  ::)
:D :D :D :D
If you could also make it so it's not powered by that expensive electricity stuff; maybe something we have lots of, like fuglies  :P ;D

LampyLou

I know it's all been said but I bought an SC2 last year for its versatility and size (My first kiln BTW).  I did however hesitate over the British made/support issue but was eventually swayed by the apparent reliability of the SC2.  If I could have all an SC2 does/has but British made I would have bought that even for a little extra.  Trouble is you might have to wait quite a few years for my lovely SC2 to wear out.

Julia x