A Kilncare SC2?

Started by Lee - Kilncare, June 25, 2011, 10:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Box Studio

Oh well, it was a nice idea.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

binty

I've just this week purchased an sc2, simply on price, I looked at the maxi, on a recommendation from one of the lovely folks on here, but it was just too big, and I wouldn't have been able to afford my torch :D

I would have preferred to buy British if the option was there, but I think budget wise, if both kilns did the same thing, i would still have been tempted to the cheaper option.

sarah t

i have a bead cube and love it but it is getting a bit small for what i am making and when i am looking to upgrade the maxi (not fussed about the colour :o ) is first choice for annealing but that is not all we do with a kiln ......

i would love a kiln that had the temperature range of the cube with the capacity of the maxi so that would mean some kind of mandrel stand that could go in for annealing and out for when i wanted to do bigger things or slumping,fusing etc
and i assume the programmer would be compatable with all kilncare kilns so  that would cut down on the price ?

and while we are on building our ideal kiln something that sits on the top for warming murrini and rods would be fab (that does not compromise the door opening)
larger mandrel slots  for big hole mandrels and larger shapes ie cabs ,buttons etc
a door that could be raised slightly to accomodate more mandrels (i often have space for more beads but the door wont close properly)
and a kiln that takes up the same space as the cube but has the capacity of the maxi (i did think about getting another cube and building a tower block :-\)
and dream time .....a foot opperator for opening the door so i can use both hands to shift beads about and put the next one in

dont want much do i  ;)

Flaming Nora

I would be seriously be interested in buying one as I'm still kilnless ( after having sent back a duff one from another company). Price is definitely an important issue for me, I'd also like one pink or purple with a bead door if possible please......... :) ( may be with a few sparkles.......!!!!)

Customer service is another major factor and from what I have seen and experienced so far, you offer an excellent customer service, reliability and therefore people trust you.

If your kiln does everything  an SC2 will do, has a shelf, easy to read instructions, gets to the same temperature etc, I'll start digging down behind the back of the settee for any extra pennies required to buy one..... :)

awrylemming

What Sarah said ^ I want a larger version of the SC2 really, but with the capacity of the Maxi and the ease of use of the Maxi.  As I would have to sell my SC2 to finance the larger kiln, I wouldn't want to lose the options that I have with it, even if I don't presently use them.

ScarletLeonard

I think more choice in the British Market is always a good thing. The range of what is capable with the SC2 is great for everyone that wants their kiln to do a little bit more than being a bead annealer.
If anything ever did go wrong it's easier and quicker to get one of yours fixed.
Price wise first kilns are probably where price is compared down to the last fiver. We know we need it but it is a heckofan expense when you are in the hobby stage. Anyone looking for size and range over anything else is probably not going to be as worried over 50 quid because they have one to keep them going until they have the cash.

I would be far more interested in seeing a maxi-mini though :) The additional space over the cube/sc2 but not as large as the current maxi(ne) and I'm perfectly happy with pink.

Lotti

Quote from: ScarletLeonard on June 25, 2011, 02:05:28 PM

I would be far more interested in seeing a maxi-mini though :) The additional space over the cube/sc2 but not as large as the current maxi(ne) and I'm perfectly happy with pink.

I think this is what I meant too.  An inbetweeny please. :) 

Lee - Kilncare

The problem with an inbetweeny is that it would probbably work out a similar price to the MAXI competition but be much smaller so would it sell?????

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

ARBeads

Right I'm greedy and have both a beadcube and the Maxine and a really large pot kiln with a cambridge controller (that's another story).

What I want is half the width of the Maxine but slightly taller and the temperature range of the bead cube.

Andy says fold the Maxine in half and you're there, however much I try she wont fold !

On the price front I'd pay more for one of your kilns any day, You're customer support Rocks x

Ruth x

Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

ScarletLeonard

Going to be blunt but the maxi is slightly smaller and still sells even though there is a price difference.

As I mentioned before for buying the kiln you want after settling for a cheaper one to begin with (or you are just lucky and have the cash) the price is overridden by design, ease of use, size.

I would love a Maxine and currently when I out grow my mini kiln that is what I will buy. My concern is fitting it in my studio but I know the bead cube is to small for me.

But we are just talking :)

(since Ruth snuck a post in there, yes something like that.)

Lee - Kilncare

Scarlet and Ruth, valid points, it is nice to know that sometimes quality overides price so thanks for that.

So, a kiln half the size of the MAXI eh........unbelievable. The original MAXI design is actually in the Bead Section of the glass department of Sunderland University and although the design was a little different I'm sure it was a little taller than the MAXI and half the width. That's going from memory and I'm not at work to check that.
Anyway, a single door MAXI-MINI or MINI-MAXI ;D ;D wouldn't actually be that difficult to produce as it would be a case of mixing the two drawings together and hey presto.

I'll took at look at the feasibility of it on Monday.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

SilverGems89

This is coming from someone who doesn't YET have a kiln, so you might not (or might) want to read this post Lee  ;)
Since i started bead making i've been dreaming of a bead cube, however i recently had my first "hands-on" look at a maxi and i adored it! The design is fantastic, i love the design of the mandrel rack and the way the doors open, however i know it is far too long for my space, so what i would like is pretty much what Ruth was describing, a maxi, but folded in half, so taller but half the length! and with a temperature range of the bead cube (i'd love to be able to do small fusing projects)
oh and with a price that wont break the bank (money is the only reason i don't yet have a kiln)
Don't want much do i  ;D

ScarletLeonard

I wasn't really thinking about temperature range (I'm only interested in bead annealing) but if you did give it the range of a beadcube then you have something half way between a maxi and the sc2.
if I'm thinking of the dimensions right the internal chamber would actually be wider than the sc2 making it much nicer for those that like to do the occasional fused pieces because it's longer but primarily a bead annealer.

fionaess

Quote from: SilverGems89 on June 25, 2011, 04:29:08 PM
This is coming from someone who doesn't YET have a kiln, so you might not (or might) want to read this post Lee  ;)
Since i started bead making i've been dreaming of a bead cube, however i recently had my first "hands-on" look at a maxi and i adored it! The design is fantastic, i love the design of the mandrel rack and the way the doors open, however i know it is far too long for my space, so what i would like is pretty much what Ruth was describing, a maxi, but folded in half, so taller but half the length! and with a temperature range of the bead cube (i'd love to be able to do small fusing projects)
oh and with a price that wont break the bank (money is the only reason i don't yet have a kiln)
Don't want much do i  ;D

I think you are describing my SC3   ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Redkite

Here's my 2 pence worth: I have an SC2, but if there had been a UK made equivalent I would have definitely bought it. I wanted a bit more flexibility to try other crafts, plus cheaper than the Maxi, but more internal space than the Bead Cube, so what you are describing would have been perfect for me. I think a few quid (well, personally, that would be up to £75 ish) wouldn't make that much difference, given that it would be UK made and easy to sort out any problems.

Having said that, since I already have my SC2, I wouldn't be looking to buy a new kiln any time soon.