Main Menu

Devardi Glass?

Started by ♥♥Tan♥♥, February 20, 2011, 02:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les

I'm sure I saw somebody selling a sample pack at the GBUK 'do' in Oxford ... I wish I'd bought a pack to have a play with ... just for curiosity's sake ..

Nikki

I got a batch of mixed rods from my cousin in the US, not had any problems with shocking or melting on my HH, love the black that reduces to a bronze mirror shine and there is an amazing purple that I have used for flowers and encased (but just a tiny amount) the rods are not labelled thou so I don't know what colours they are. The rods are very thick and I found it harder to hold so not sure I would use it regularly but for some of the colours I thought it was worth the effort.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Interesting feedback, so far this is coming across as a glass that is very competitively priced and is worth the trouble!

noora

Is it compatible with itself? I mean, if it has compatibility problems with Effetre, is it at least consistent or does it seem to vary between colours/batches?

Nikki

I've not used it a lot but so far I have not had any compatibility issues using it with other 104 glass or just on its own, I have only encased tiny amount on flowers with effetre clear and had no problem, I asked my cousin and she just does not like any of it, not really sure why!!, it's not really very popular in the US. I don't think I would buy it myself, but I can't really say why as I have not had problems with it and the colours are great. I think it is the size of the rods that puts me off.

Black Heart Beads

I have tried the Dichroic on clear but it burnt to ash no matter how cool I tried to work it. Kerensa and I also tried it in fused glass and again it burnt out. I have also tried the dichroic beads in the past with the same result  :(

Kalorlo

I've been keeping an eye on the big long Technical Tips thread for it on LE for a while. That's not the one with all the controversy (well, not much!) but has posts from people about what they've done with it and what colours don't like being encased and such things.

I'm still not tempted, and I think it's for two reasons: 1. they say that you have to do most shaping with tools rather than heat and gravity if you don't want to burn it.
2. I just haven't seen any beads made with it that blow me away. *hides* I haven't seen anything that I wouldn't rather just do in colours I can get hold of easily. It doesn't help that a lot of the more experienced people aren't using it, or aren't posting that they're using it.

Ok, 3 reasons. Before spending my time trying out Devardi I'd much rather try out P&T 93, and Reichenbach and Gaffer 96, and I got some Bullseye in the Warm Glass sale...  :D

squirsygirl

Quote from: Kalorlo on February 21, 2011, 04:05:01 PM

2. I just haven't seen any beads made with it that blow me away. *hides* I haven't seen anything that I wouldn't rather just do in colours I can get hold of easily. It doesn't help that a lot of the more experienced people aren't using it, or aren't posting that they're using it.

Ditto.

Kirsty

♥♥Tan♥♥

So it could well be that the colours that are unusual enough to tempt us to buy them could well be the ones that turn to gurk in the flame ???

Les

Quote from: Kirsty B on February 21, 2011, 06:10:44 PM
Quote from: Kalorlo on February 21, 2011, 04:05:01 PM

Ditto.

Kirsty

I may be having a play with a couple of rods fairly soon ... I'll be sure to report back :)

Black Heart Beads

I have some of the dichroic strips left if anyone wants to try it just PM me your address and I will send some to play with.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Sam did you try working it cold.........as in stained glass?

Black Heart Beads

Quote from: Tan on February 21, 2011, 10:46:07 PM
Sam did you try working it cold.........as in stained glass?

No, its very narrow strips and on extremely thin glass.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Darn, I was trying to think of uses for you before you had to give it up as a bad lot :-\

Black Heart Beads

I does look nice sat in a jar, just not when I use it. If anyone can manage not to burn it out I would love to know how.