Main Menu

Devardi Glass?

Started by ♥♥Tan♥♥, February 20, 2011, 02:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

♥♥Tan♥♥

That's interesting Sal, I gathered there were compatibility issues but wondered if it was spectrum wide or colour specific. Did Di have a good pallet of colours and were they ooooo or pah?

Billie

Quote from: DeanWilson on February 20, 2011, 02:58:22 PM
I had a look at the Devardi website there...God do they have a lot of stuff! And everything is so ridiculously cheap :o Times like this I wish I lived in America- $5 for a pound of glass! That's like £3! *faints*

Well... if you ever get there on family holidays, get an order in  ;D

Redhotsal

Quote from: Tan on February 20, 2011, 03:01:47 PM
That's interesting Sal, I gathered there were compatibility issues but wondered if it was spectrum wide or colour specific. Did Di have a good pallet of colours and were they ooooo or pah?

I'll take a pic later and post it up.

awrylemming

I have some Devardi - I used it on my hothead as well as my Minor.  I found it melts smoothly, loved all the colours I bought, but did find it doesn't like to be encased by effetre.  The rods are very fat though.  Oh, and I haven't had a single shocky rod either.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Lush!

Quote from: Billie on February 20, 2011, 02:55:17 PM
Is this where I declare undying love?  :-*

Ooh yes please, its been awhile  :D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Veebee

If I remember rightly wasn't most of the discussion over whether it was produced in sweat-shop conditions or no?
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

awrylemming

A friend of mine knows a couple of people who work in the manufacturing plant in India, as I was concerned about this as well.  But she said that in comparison to a lot of employers there, they are pretty happy with their working conditions.  Although that doesn't mean it isn't a sweat shop.

Dragonfire Glass

yes, I think it was - the ethics rather than the glass

Redhotsal

I think when you talk to British people of Indian origin - quite often their view on "child/sweat shop labour" is a bit different to ours. If we don't buy goods from India or China because we are afraid of exploiting people we're not exactly helping. It's too complicated to make a few glib statements on but I read the LE endless thread on Devardi with interest....seemed to me to be a few ignorant and reactionary views on Devardi.
Strikes me that no one cares about the working conditions of the people in CHINA who make all that lovely CIM glass......

Redhotsal

Apologies - actually didn't mean to re-ignite that old chestnut. But yes I remember that the LE thread was quite concerned with the ethics.  :)

squirsygirl

I got a little sample pack ages ago - the colours were very pretty, but I didn't fell as 'solid' as Effetre. More like CiM, in an odd sort of way, but less so.

I know what I mean.

Yes, Dean - we all wish we live in the US.

Wait until someone does a bulk buy from Frantz, at least that way you get the postage and custom charges divvied up.

On that, btw, watch this space....

Kirsty

Alison G

I got some the week before last. One rod was notched all the way up, two more exploded however carefully I heated them, even if I warmed them on the kiln, and some went from stringer thickness to over 10mm.

(those were the ones I showed you Julie, at our lesson)

I complained, got a nasty email back and a refund.

Having said all that it is much cheaper and the colours are very nice. The goldstone stringer is great.

In would caution any HH users though. I couldn't even get the heat up enough to maintain a gather on some of the largest rods, they were as thick as three normal ones together.
NB. Do not touch hot rods of glass, it is stupid.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Quote from: Redhotsal on February 20, 2011, 06:08:48 PM
Apologies - actually didn't mean to re-ignite that old chestnut. But yes I remember that the LE thread was quite concerned with the ethics.  :)

Actually you made a good point that I wasn't aware of and certainly there are CIM similarities...

Quote from: Alison G on February 21, 2011, 12:34:27 AM
I got some the week before last. One rod was notched all the way up, two more exploded however carefully I heated them, even if I warmed them on the kiln, and some went from stringer thickness to over 10mm.

(those were the ones I showed you Julie, at our lesson)

I complained, got a nasty email back and a refund.

Having said all that it is much cheaper and the colours are very nice. The goldstone stringer is great.

In would caution any HH users though. I couldn't even get the heat up enough to maintain a gather on some of the largest rods, they were as thick as three normal ones together.

Thankyou Alison that was the sort of info I was thinking about as well, what the quality was like, although I'm not bothered about  consistent thickness you should see some of mine after I have yanked them about!

julieHB

HEEEY  ;D

Yep, I have some devardi glass......but I haven't tested it much yet  ::) It's on my list to do!! I found them no more shocky than odd rods and certain cim rods. They say you need to work some colours, in particularly the pinks, quite cold so that the colours don't burn out. The lustre rods are gorgeous. But, as I said, i haven't played much with them. I cannot recall whether I have tried to encase any, but I have used some of them together with effetre, with no problems.
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr