Main Menu

Striking Opal Rose

Started by ShinySnail, January 31, 2011, 09:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShinySnail

I'm not too clued up on strikers!
Made a couple of lentils with Opal Rose that came out a beautiful deep rich pink, but when I batch annealed them they have lost most of their colour.
If I were to chuck them in with another batch anneal is it possible they will strike again or does it sound like I have worn out the colour?

These were a pain in the bum to make as the glass was very stiff and burnt really easily so it would be handy if I could rescue them!
Next time I'll anneal as I go...

Thanks,
Anna x

Kalorlo

Did they just lose the colour or did they opacify a bit as well? I've found that I have to put my rose opalino nearer the door of the kiln or it gets too hot and goes opaque, which makes it look less pink. (I have one lentil that's actually half and half).

No idea if they'll restrike but I suspect probably not.

ShinySnail

OK thanks will give that a go - they were kind of near the front this time but I did have them at 510 degrees for 3 or 4 hours while I was garaging other beads, then onto the 520 1 hour soak...

Will try again without the excess kiln time. Not sure on weather there was much of a change in the opaque-ness - I was in a rush this morning so only had a quick peek

Thanks for the info, I wish each colour came with an instruction book!  ::)

Dragonfire Glass

mine just go white in the flame & tend to stay thay way no matter how much I try to strike it  :(

Kalorlo

I haven't tried it on my minor yet, but on a hothead you just work it normally, no deliberate striking. Keep it very very cool?