Main Menu

twisties

Started by jammie, January 27, 2011, 04:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jammie

still struggling a bit with my twisties but really fancy making a silver glass twistie, is there a particular way of doing this or if this is a trade secret I will expect no replies.  ;)

Alison G

I am NO expert, I've only been melting a week, but in one of my many books it says you can make a gather on a rod of ivory (presumably other colours will work but with differing effects), roll it in some silver foil and then use as normal.

I find twistie hard to make with two rods or a punty, so I do it with pliers like stringer but twist.

Of course that could be my complete amateurness lol.
NB. Do not touch hot rods of glass, it is stupid.

Kalorlo

I make mine on stainless steel chopsticks - build up a plug shape, draw on stripes with stringer, attach the other chopstick, pull and twist. I think there was a thread with various tips around here somewhere (would look but am about to leave).

And I make silver glass ones exactly the same way  ;D
There's a silver glass twistie thread on LE if you want to look for some recipes?

GaysieMay

I find the easiest way to make a twistie is as if you are making murrini, but twist as you pull apart.  I just made some lovely murrini using stoneground and triton.  Pull some stringer from your silver glass, make a large gather of your base colour, marver it into a barrel.  Keep it warm while you apply the stringer along the length of the barrel and slightly over the end.  The continue til you've done this all the way round and it looks like a wacky toothpaste with stripes.  Then melt good and hot, take it out of the flame, let the glow go and then pull and twist as evenly as you can.  Keep the gather near to the torch in case you need a little more heat.

Hope this helps x

Should have said I use a glass punty to pull mine.
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

jammie

Great thanks, I had copied all the tips from the earlier how to twist  thread and been practicing so far Sals method was working well I managed an ok one that way and it was the how to with silver glass bit and what to use I was wondering about so that really helps Gay thankyou.  :)
Not amatuerish as much as whatever works I think Alison, my stringer are ok but I'm still pulling them thin and just keep trying every so often hoping eventually I will get there.  :)
Ah recipes would be nice I will have to login to lampwork etc yes?

Kalorlo

You've probably found it by now, but the thread is here: Reactive twistie bead how to and exchange. It's for any reactive glass, but there're plenty of silver glass ones in there too. There's also a silver glass murrini exchange that you could look up colour combos from.