Glass cutters - two questions - this is the 1st

Started by Grody, December 10, 2010, 02:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grody

OK, first question of 2 on glass cutters.

If the tungsten disc in my oil-filled glass cutter is so hard, why do we see regular cautions to never go over the initial score, with the warning that, if we do, it will ruin the cutter. Surely, if I did choose to re-visit the initial score (I've only ever done it a couple of times), then the only debris the wheel would encounter along the score line would be microscopic shards of glass thrown up from the surface of the glass by the initial score - which the tungsten cutter is then surely hard enough to cut through without any trouble?

Anyone have any more info to add to this?

Zeldazog

If sandpaper is abrasive enough to rub away paint, or smooth down wood, how come it wears away?

How can you blunt a diamond encrusted drill bit, or wear down a diamond disc with excessive force?

Why do you have to sharpen a knife or a saw, made of metal, when they're used to cut meat or wood?

♥♥Tan♥♥

OOo are we doing cryptic puzzles now........the answer is sausages divided by 7.3 ;D

Galloway Beads

Sorry, no offence, just having a quiet snigger  ;D ;D ;D ;D    Very funny girls

www.gallowaybeads.co.uk
My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/Gallowaybeads

elburnzo

Quote from: Zeldazog on December 10, 2010, 02:25:56 PM
If sandpaper is abrasive enough to rub away paint, or smooth down wood, how come it wears away?

How can you blunt a diamond encrusted drill bit, or wear down a diamond disc with excessive force?

Why do you have to sharpen a knife or a saw, made of metal, when they're used to cut meat or wood?

very philosophical sounding answer!

The real qu is why would u want to score over a previous score? it only makes matters worse and wont fix anything.

SOmething being hard isnt the same as sharp. Hard is a physical property whereas sharp is how it is edged, by the theory above- knives dont start out sharp, they are made tht way, same goes for the glass cutter. Your ruining the edging which makes it less effective not less hard

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Tan on December 10, 2010, 04:01:46 PM
OOo are we doing cryptic puzzles now........the answer is sausages divided by 7.3 ;D

Q.E.D Tan; I flunked A level maths so will happily go with your calculation as it has sausages in it.  Personally I'd have preferred Pi as a divider because it's an irrational number (like me) but pi will do if no sausages.   ::) ;D
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

♥♥Tan♥♥

Blue Box Studio

Your place or mine - by the time you've got here I'll have bought the cream and laid the table - or I can drive very fast down the M5.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

♥♥Tan♥♥

I'm on my way and I'm bringing banoffee pie and steamed toffee pudden with clotted cream ;D

Zeldazog

Quote from: elburnzo on December 10, 2010, 04:53:50 PM
very philosophical sounding answer!

Ha. Your response is far better than mine. 

I think I just wanted to point out that something being tougher than something else doesn't make it indestructible.

I'll bring fudge.  ;D ;D

MadelineBunyan

*leaps out highwayman style, armed with pistol grip glass cutters*

stick em up! this is a thread hijack!

hand over them pies! (and fudge)

helenfc

Quote from: MadelineBunyan on December 10, 2010, 06:18:58 PM
*leaps out highwayman style, armed with pistol grip glass cutters*

stick em up! this is a thread hijack!

hand over them pies! (and fudge)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D snort of raspberry tea on the laptop now, thanks madeline!!  :P

♥♥Tan♥♥

Tan whips out the cheese, temporarily blinding Madeline with its pure cheesiness. Steals the pistol grip glass cutters and carries on her merry way to Sues.............and now not only do we have pudding but we have glass cutters too :D

Chase me Madeline and I will make sure they save you pie :-*

jammie

Just sometimes I have noticed that it can be a risky business posting a question on this forum  ::)

Now..... Did someone mention puddin.......

julieHB

I guess we'll never hear the second question now...  ::) ::) :D
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr